Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

It can only be the N2 in my book. A solid dependable worker for 40 years and pulling big trains with frequent stops and sometimes high speeds required. A real design classic and so typical of Gresley in producing something a bit different which was superbly suited to its core purpose.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 46444 said:

D49's for me.. 

About time we saw a modern RTR version of these as well.

Cheers, 

Mark 

I'll have one of them - 3-rail "O" gauge coarse scale please!

Coming back to todays poll, much as I like the D49s and V1/V3 tanks, the most successful has to be the N2 0-6-2T - either on the suburbans out of Moorgate or the Bradford portion of the Pullmans.

Regards

Chris H

5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

It can only be the N2 in my book. A solid dependable worker for 40 years and pulling big trains with frequent stops and sometimes high speeds required. A real design classic and so typical of Gresley in producing something a bit different which was superbly suited to its core purpose.

I agree . And add to that some heavy ECS trains up Holloway Bank, where the L1’s were known to slip themselves to a standstill.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The N2 for me, although if we nudge out the B17's Gilbert will be starting a cull of followers.....I'm already on thin ice in that regard due to not liking them!  Their wheels are to big for their boots sort of thing, lop half a foot off them and they would have looked so much nicer.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

The N2 for me, although if we nudge out the B17's Gilbert will be starting a cull of followers.....I'm already on thin ice in that regard due to not liking them!  Their wheels are to big for their boots sort of thing, lop half a foot off them and they would have looked so much nicer.

No, no-one will be culled. The whole point of this is to be prepared to put personal preferences aside. A B17 is indeed one of my favourite locos, but I'm well aware that however nice they look, they weren't the most successful design, and certainly not when they were high mileage and apparently very rough riding indeed.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll pick the N2 as well. I did see some in service albeit not on passenger trains, as the GN Edgware branch ran behind my primary school. Of course it was goods-only and most trains were diesel-hauled (BTH? @Clive Mortimore? @manna?) but very occasionally there was an N2. That would have been between 1960, when I started school, and 1964, when the line closed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I'll pick the N2 as well. I did see some in service albeit not on passenger trains, as the GN Edgware branch ran behind my primary school. Of course it was goods-only and most trains were diesel-hauled (BTH? @Clive Mortimore? @manna?) but very occasionally there was an N2. That would have been between 1960, when I started school, and 1964, when the line closed.

Hi Sainty

There were some BTh's at Hornsey , they were later transferred to Finsbury Park, so could well have been. 

• Thanks 1

B17 for me. I know they weren't the most successful design but their looks are so pleasing. Nearly went for D49 because I had a footplate ride on Morayshire in 2008 but I've always thought they looked a bit unbalanced.

Andrew

• Like 1

I think it has to be the V2.

I didn't realise, until getting into the research for Grantham, that pre-war the K3 was very much THE mixed traffic machine. The V2 only started appearing in squadron numbers at the onset of WWII and of course went on to attract the moniker 'the engine that won the war'. Worthy, I'm sure, but no doubt helped enormously by the fact that they were brand new.

Post-war, they were clearly magnificent machines, capable of working turn and turn about with the pacifics. I'm looking forward to seeing a few of them in use on the NBR section of my Hills of the North scheme, slogging up the i-in-75 through Riccarton Junction.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1