Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

They woz included in yesterday's mixed traffic group, Clive. A victim of their own success presumably, due to their relatively frequent use on passenger trains?

C'mon, don't let yourself be beaten - why not suggest the U1? (two O2s joined back-to-back)

No the U1 was useless, the Bromsgrove crews proved that Big Bertha was better, and that was an older Fowler design.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, drmditch said:

Difficult this - because probably the 'most typical' goods/freight locomotive for the LNER (although perhaps not all areas) would be what became the O4 and it's derivatives.

The one Gresley presumably liked best (because he wanted to build more of them even in the early days of the war) must have been the O2.

So - I'll go for the O2 please.

(I would have gone for the P1 if ever the Operating department had worked out how to use them properly!) 

Having refuges long enough to take the length of train they were capable of handling would have helped.

My heart also says P1, I really do like my model P1, it's just gone back on the layout after a spell in storage. But I think it has to be the O2. My O2/2 never having been put into storage, (except during house moves and the need to get a new layout up and running) and its now about 39 years old and still going strong , even with its w/m chassis.

Andrew

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No the U1 was useless, the Bromsgrove crews proved that Big Bertha was better, and that was an older Fowler design.

Fighting talk! Surely any crew can 'prove' a locomotive is 'useless', especially if it is a one-off and from a different railway/design background?

Quite a lot of that after the grouping!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I like to describe the U1 as more of a white elephant. My U1 simply goes from its refuge siding across to the loco depot for coaling during my operating sequence. Then sits in the refuge siding waiting for a non-existent banking turn, which must be after the sequence has finished and before we run the next one!

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Another runaway winner, 02 with 14 votes.

What next?  We could look for the very best of everything, I suppose. Let's have a try. The very best locomotive ever to be produced by the North Eastern Railway, taking into account efficiency, longevity, looks, and impact on future locomotive design.

Difficult.

Efficiency' - theoretical or in practical use? - consider 4CC Atlantic for the former T2/Q6 for the latter - or - now disregarded - the Shildon Electrics !

'Longevity' - has to be the C/C1/J21 ( after major rebuilds)

'Looks' - either the V/C6 or Z/C7 - I prefer the former.

'Impact on future locomotive design' - perhaps the three cylinder principal - so first was the X/T1 from 1909 but that had divided drive so the Z/C7 from 1911 might be most significant. 

However, the 3CC/D19 might be seen as the prototype for the 'Midland Compounds' - and I think that there 240 of them!

So - my choice - after a balancing of views - would be.....

The Z/C7 Raven Atlantic.

(But I do like all of the others as well!)

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, great northern said:

Another runaway winner, 02 with 14 votes.

What next?  We could look for the very best of everything, I suppose. Let's have a try. The very best locomotive ever to be produced by the North Eastern Railway, taking into account efficiency, longevity, looks, and impact on future locomotive design.

Hi Gilbert

Does this include locomotives of the railways that helped form the NER?

If so it has to be Locomotion of the Stockton and Darlington Railway.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Does this include locomotives of the railways that helped form the NER?

If so it has to be Locomotion of the Stockton and Darlington Railway.

Disagree! (Cos I know Clive likes a good argument)

Genesis for all modern steam locos was 'Rocket', with its firetube boiler and separate smokebox that created the draft to draw the fire, proportionate to amount of effort being exerted. A stroke of genius that changed the world forever. Locomotion was a simple flue arrangement, OK for pottering around in a colliery but no basis for what was required for long distance, at speed.

Other than the adoption of superheating, there's very little difference at a basic principles level between 'Rocket' and 'Evening Star'

Go on - pick the bones out of that!

Meanwhile, NER-wise, the humble J27 gets my vote.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Disagree! (Cos I know Clive likes a good argument)

Genesis for all modern steam locos was 'Rocket', with its firetube boiler and separate smokebox that created the draft to draw the fire, proportionate to amount of effort being exerted. A stroke of genius that changed the world forever. Locomotion was a simple flue arrangement, OK for pottering around in a colliery but no basis for what was required for long distance, at speed.

Other than the adoption of superheating, there's very little difference at a basic principles level between 'Rocket' and 'Evening Star'

Go on - pick the bones out of that!

Meanwhile, NER-wise, the humble J27 gets my vote.

Ah, but without the success of Locomotion and others, would we have had Rocket?

Whilst I am in no doubt the steam locomotive development would have happened sooner or later, if steam, as motive power on the S&D been a failure, that development may have been delayed and the Stephensons possibly not being the prime movers behind said development.

Hat, coat, exit:P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1