Peterborough North

great northern

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

Does this include locomotives of the railways that helped form the NER?

If so it has to be Locomotion of the Stockton and Darlington Railway.

Actually, Locomotion No.1 with the benefit of hindsight, was a 'looking backward' design.

Single flue boiler, low efficiency cylinders sunk into the said boiler (to avoid condensation), driving position on the side to allow direct control of valves if required, (and thus to control speed/reverse/stop) - since the locomotive had no brakes!

The four locomotives of that class were very unreliable - it was the Hackworth engines that kept the railway running - despite (again with hindsight) their limitations.

Timothy Hackworth had worked with and for the Stephensons when Active No.1 (the original name) was built in the newly established works in Newcastle.

The pace of change was enormous. Rocket (just four years later) was the prototype of (almost) all later steam locomotives.

Actually, in terms of longevity, 1275 (long boiler 0-6-0)  - to service 1874 and still existing might be a better bet!

(EDIT - should have also said that Rocket was obsolete within six months of the L&M opening.)

Edited by drmditch
Additional information
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Disagree! (Cos I know Clive likes a good argument)

Genesis for all modern steam locos was 'Rocket', with its firetube boiler and separate smokebox that created the draft to draw the fire, proportionate to amount of effort being exerted. A stroke of genius that changed the world forever. Locomotion was a simple flue arrangement, OK for pottering around in a colliery but no basis for what was required for long distance, at speed.

Other than the adoption of superheating, there's very little difference at a basic principles level between 'Rocket' and 'Evening Star'

Go on - pick the bones out of that!

Meanwhile, NER-wise, the humble J27 gets my vote.

Ah but hadn't Locomotion proved its worth would the younger Mr Stephenson gone on and invented the Rocket?

Maybe this Steampunk band might be able to help sort out this debate, "oh Mr Stephenson which Mr Vephenson was you, George, Robert, and Robert Louis, and if Robert which because there was two?" 

See I sparked off a conversation.

My vote today goes to the lovely looking, original and the the rebuilds, very useful and long serving S3 or for our younger readers B16 4-6-0. 

• RMweb Premium

Uuummm, my area too....hard one.

I'm going to 'do a Clive' with his prompting above, and vote Shildon electric.  1500v DC became more prevalent later, and indeed still powers the Tyneside Metro system not so far away, so was truly innovative. Only the one loco ever ran again (at Ilford) a shame the others weren't used on the Woodhead as had been hoped - I wonder why that was, they surely would have had use as bankers.  Maybe their long period out of use got the works too damp for recovery.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wish I could truly vote for the EE1 2-Co-2 - Raven's Express passenger electric loco No.13, but as they never managed to electrify the mainline north of York till much, much later and at 25 kVac it wasn't really able to prove itself.

However, the first two NER electric locos  ES1 Bo--Bos No. 1 & 2 were very successful and influential. Introduce by W Worsdell in 1905, they were 59 years in service to 1964.

So my vote goes to ES1 Bo-Bos nos. 1 & 2.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Maybe this Steampunk band might be able to help sort out this debate, "oh Mr Stephenson which Mr Vephenson was you, George, Robert, and Robert Louis, and if Robert which because there was two?"

I think that someone is mixing up the Lighthouse Stephensons and the Loco Stephensons. Robert Louis was of the lighthouse genre, and in fact constructed a breakwater at Wick Harbour, thou it was almost all washed away in a storm only a few years later. I think he may have written a book or two as well.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

I think that someone is mixing up the Lighthouse Stephensons and the Loco Stephensons. Robert Louis was of the lighthouse genre, and in fact constructed a breakwater at Wick Harbour, thou it was almost all washed away in a storm only a few years later. I think he may have written a book or two as well.

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd

The song makes it quite clear that there were the Stephensons and the Stevensons, hence the chorus where they sing Vephenson as their name was spelt with a V. Robert Stevenson, the lighthouse man was the grandfather of Robert Louis. In the middle was Thomas Stevenson also a lighthouse man.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Cor - pure filth! Don't let Mary Whitehouse see him ...

'Last Thursday I saw this locomotive at Peterborough station at 6.35pm. And it was the dirtiest locomotive I have seen for a very long time ...'

Edited by LNER4479
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Lloyd

The song makes it quite clear that there were the Stephensons and the Stevensons, hence the chorus where they sing Vephenson as their name was spelt with a V. Robert Stevenson, the lighthouse man was the grandfather of Robert Louis. In the middle was Thomas Stevenson also a lighthouse man.

And quite a few others in the family were lighthouse designers as well - quite a family.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Not much direct response to this poll, but some interesting side avenues, set off, of course, by Clive, whose mission in life is to find a hole in any description I give. He is getting his comeuppance though, in the form of Pluto. Pluto is a dog, apparently cleverer than Clive, as it finds another hole as soon as the previous one has been blocked up. I think the score is Pluto 3 Clive 0 now.

Today we will do the same thing with the North British, all based on actual performance rather than theory.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, great northern said:

Not much direct response to this poll, but some interesting side avenues, set off, of course, by Clive, whose mission in life is to find a hole in any description I give. He is getting his comeuppance though, in the form of Pluto. Pluto is a dog, apparently cleverer than Clive, as it finds another hole as soon as the previous one has been blocked up. I think the score is Pluto 3 Clive 0 now.

Today we will do the same thing with the North British, all based on actual performance rather than theory.

Over the past few days I have been patching up the holes in our fence between the garden and the paddock. Pluto keeps joining us in the paddock when we are working in there, it is horse safe but not dog, he could get out and be over the fields. Plus Cody the grey pony likes to think he can protect the other two 'orses so isn't happy with Pluto being the wrong side of the fence. On Wednesday I stood in the paddock calling him and Pluto came through the fence showing me his latest exit. So I patched that up. He was in the paddock yesterday but wasn't going to be tricked again. So I got on with spraying anti moss stuff. He decided to join me, what he didn't know was Mrs M saw where he got through. So for the third day in a trot I was improving the security. As I finished I was thinking to myself "What a good job I have done", I looked down there was Pluto looking at me and the added mesh fencing as if to say "You have done a good job there Dad". We were on the paddock side of the fence, while I was fixing it he found another escape route. :banghead:

North British? Not to up on these so I will vote for the Reid Atlantics. Like their GNR and NER counterparts they were not unsuccessful, just when it came to renewing their boilers the LNER preferred to build more Pacifics as trains had become heavier.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

The Glens.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Clive should be grateful Pluto isn't a goat.   I swear those bloody things can teleport.

Hi Jonathan

We had next door's goats visit on Monday.....the donkey's did so the day before. It has been a while since the pigs scared the horses. We cannot complain as Hugo the cocker spaniel, not only went next door but was found upstairs on one the beds.  

• Funny 12

For NBR, in terms of the criterion of 'best' in terms of success, actual performance, influence (etc), I think the humble J36 takes some beating. An eventful life, including use on the battlefield, they were already there when the Atlantics first arrived, saw the Gresley pacifics come and go and were rubbing shoulders with Deltics when they were eventually withdrawn.

We have the lovely 'Maude' to remember them by and I remember with fondness that occasion in 1980 when she made the long journey south to participate in the Rainhill cavalcade, with its two Caley coaches in tow. Everything else was taking a diesel pilot due to dry conditions fire risk but somehow, the plucky little 0-6-0 just kept plodding on by herself. We followed her over the S&C and all the way south to Manchester - a memorable day!

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jonathan

We had next door's goats visit on Monday.....the donkey's did so the day before. It has been a while since the pigs scared the horses. We cannot complain as Hugo the cocker spaniel, not only went next door but was found upstairs on one the beds.  

Are your sure it wasn't taken there and put to bed by the local ambulance service?

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Are your sure it wasn't taken there and put to bed by the local ambulance service?

My mate when he worked for the ambulance service took this chap home. He and his mate got a radio call saying Mrs Smith was still waiting for Mr Smith to come home. "But we took him home and Mrs Smith was there." They had taken him to the wrong address. When they went to collect him Mrs Jones had cooked him tea thinking it was Mr Jones who had come home.....he had been dead for over five years. Mr Smith enjoyed his tea by all accounts.

• Friendly/supportive 6

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

My mate when he worked for the ambulance service took this chap home. He and his mate got a radio call saying Mrs Smith was still waiting for Mr Smith to come home. "But we took him home and Mrs Smith was there." They had taken him to the wrong address. When they went to collect him Mrs Jones had cooked him tea thinking it was Mr Jones who had come home.....he had been dead for over five years. Mr Smith enjoyed his tea by all accounts.

Something similar happened in S Wales in the last week, and they put her to bed in the wrong house!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1