Peterborough North

great northern

Lots to choose from today. I’ll go for the Claughton 4-6-0s. They could be brilliant but were expensive to maintain and they were mostly withdrawn during the scrap and build policy of the 1930s. Number 6004 lasted to 1949.

• RMweb Premium

I have thought long and hard - resulting in my vote going to the LNWR's 3 car electric trains for the Euston - Watford and North London Lines. They were all built by Metropolitan Cammell - the first four pre WW1 were fitted with Siemens' equipment, the rest (113 x 3 car units) had Oerliken equipment!

They did the job well and were popular - helping develop the traffic - and had a long life not being withdrawn till the early 1960s.

Regards

Chris H 

10 hours ago, great northern said:

And still the camera is following 60501, but won't be able to do so for much longer, as Spital Bridge is in sight.

766854352_85014.JPG.375c62d3eae879d275fbe39df71e204d.JPG

Hi Gilbert, I know I rave about Tims weathering from time to time but that effect on the tender of coal dust having been washed down in streaks by rain is superb. So typical of the era.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

LNWR? Aah, I'll go for the Super 'D' 0-8-0s G1? G2? G2A? A complex class history ... but you know the ones I mean, lasted into their hundreds well into the BR era, so can't have been all that bad. And the preserved one 49395 was a delight when returned to service in the last decade. So that gets my LNWR vote.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I have thought long and hard - resulting in my vote going to the LNWR's 3 car electric trains for the Euston - Watford and North London Lines.

Another vote for the LNWR 3-car Siemens/Oerlikon sets please...

The favourites must be the D11 and O4, with the J11, A5 and C4 in the running too.  However, I recently read an article about GC locos by Dick Hardy in an old Steam World (I can't quote the issue).  From personal experience, he rated the B4 Imminghams and their near cousins, the B1s,  and reported that many GC footplate staff could not understand why the C4s had been multiplied in preference to the more sure-footed 4-6-0s.

So in deference to such an authority, my vote goes to the B4.