Peterborough North

great northern

7 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Marsh Atlantic.  GN design with longer stroke and cab!

Yes , I was veering towards the H1/H 2 Atlantic’s and in terms of best they cut it for me but I kind of feel they are not really true LBSC locos. Marsh apparently even borrowed Doncaster’s drawings of the GNR Atlantic and just tweaked it a bit , so I marked them down a bit on that and give my vote to the E4 tanks, not least because the Bluebells one looks great in the flesh. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm in two minds - again!

I wanted to vote for the  Bo-Bo 800 HP motor luggage vans built for the extension of the LBSCR 6,600v AC Overhead electric system to Coulsdon North and Sutton.

145120776_CoulsdonandSutton.jpg.049b1fb3073219ad5b9f7d758221cfd3.jpg

But as the extensions got delayed by WW1 and then the Grouping of 1923, these motive power units did not enter service till 1925 under the "Southern Railway" heading!

So instead my vote goes to the beautiful L Class "Baltic" tanks introduced by Lawson Billinton.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

K Class Mogul with 5 votes thwarted efforts to promote the Marsh Atlantic, which got 4.

While we are in this part of the world, we will look for the best of the SECR, about which I know even less.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, great northern said:

Next is the 5.00 stopper from KX, just a MK1 five set, but headed by Mallard. The HMRS survey shows this was Pacific hauled more often than not, and the return leg is likely to be one of the heavy overnight sleeping car trains.

1115083942_5281.JPG.2485627f452af1d789a564a2794e0367.JPG

1185377631_6222.JPG.c0891653a041136d4745bb507d56b833.JPG

Another one I forgot to photoshop. My brain must be more addled than usual.

This train was an 11 car formation from KX with six coaches for Cambridge on the back. Unlike the later splitting 1752 KX-PN/CMB, it was not double headed, so probably justified a Pacific as far as Hitchin.

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, great northern said:

K Class Mogul with 5 votes thwarted efforts to promote the Marsh Atlantic, which got 4.

While we are in this part of the world, we will look for the best of the SECR, about which I know even less.

Nothing will beat the N

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The N is a good shout, with which I concur. Many Southern locos remained close to their Pre-Grouping rails, but the N was adopted as some sort of standard, and so could be seen everywhere from native Ramsgate to far Padstow, just doing what was wanted. 

• Like 2

The latest issue of the GNRS magazine contains an excellent article titled "Thameslink's Victorian Predecessors", dealing with through workings between the GN suburban lines and those of the LC&DR/SER.  The cover photo is of a SECR train of ten coaches hauled by 0-4-4T 184 heading north past Belle Isle.

So for the successful integration of north/south services across London more than 100 years ago, my vote goes to the Q1 class tank engine design!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

This train was an 11 car formation from KX with six coaches for Cambridge on the back. Unlike the later splitting 1752 KX-PN/CMB, it was not double headed, so probably justified a Pacific as far as Hitchin.

i have just been doing some photoshopping of photos taken a bit later in the sequence. As a result, although of course the information you gave for the 5.00pm is spot on, I now have to admit that the train above was in fact the 4.21pm. That train was the one I should have been referring to, and did have an A4 one day of the week of the survey. I can only plead that the photo was taken quite a while ago, thus giving me plenty of opportunity to get confused, an opportunity which I seized with both hands.

• Friendly/supportive 7