Peterborough North

great northern

I'm very fond of the N2 but it was not universally popular.  The K3 has a very good claim and the singles and atlantics were very successful in their time.  But surely, the choice has to be the original A1, famous in its own right, progenitor of a whole string of famous locomotives and the starting point of a life-long hobby for so many?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My vote goes to the GNR Class H4 2-6-0, better known as the LNER K3 - although built as a fast goods loco, they soon proved themselves a good hauler of Heavy Express trains and so set the scene for the A1s / A3s / V2s etc.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Gold

This is a fairly tricky one in some ways, but I’m going for the class H4 which became the LNER/BR class K3. Such an excellent engine despite some bad riding issues.

Rob.

G'Day Folks

Hard one, so many 'Good' engines, Stirling's 8ft No 1 certainly bought 'speed' to the fore on the GN, Ivatts first 4-4-2, Gresley's 2-6-0 family, followed by 'Great Northern' who's size shocked everyone.

Better go with 1470.

manna

• RMweb Premium

This is a hard one with K3, N2 and A1 all contenders. But I don’t think the A1 was really sorted out until LNER days and the N2 was a niche product. So I’m going to give it to the C1. Despite not being perfect in its original guise, Gresley sorted it out and for an express passenger engine it had superb longevity, with 50 years of service. And a real part of the ECML tradition.

• Like 1