Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The poll. Adjudication required. How can I rule out a loco which clearly appeared during the existence of the GNR?  A1 therefore allowed, and won with 7 votes, but K3 pushed it close with 5.

Today, we need to find the very best class of locomotive designed in Scotland. Steam only, please. A lot to choose from, so votes for first second and third are allowed, and I'll sort it out at the end. Hopefully.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, great northern said:

Today, we need to find the very best class of locomotive designed in Scotland. Steam only, please. A lot to choose from, so votes for first second and third are allowed, and I'll sort it out at the end. Hopefully.

?? (the little one on the left)

DSC00752_LR.jpg

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Today, we need to find the very best class of locomotive designed in Scotland. Steam only, please.

Steam only, designed in Scotland.

No specification of location of operation though, only design.

1 hour ago, great northern said:

A lot to choose from

Indeed, because this includes North British and all their predecessor companies, and their products got to lots of places.

The only difficulty is they both built their own designs, and built to designs provided by the customer. Working out what they actually designed versus what they built to external designs will require some research...

North British SAR 4-8-4s. 25NCs. and the 15F 4-8-2s
Monsters of the 3ft 6ins gauge, they pounded the veld for years.
Everybody remembers the Garratts, the SAR had some superb 'conventional locos as well.

Edited by Sandhole
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

1st NBR Reid Atlantic.

2nd GSWR Whitelegg Baltic tank.

3rd HR/CR Smith River class.

Sorry fans of the GNoSR I haven't included you but Gilbert has asked for the top three otherwise 4th would be Heywood's class F (LNER D40)

I wanted to nominate a South African 25 class, but a) NBR only built a part of that class, and b) there is a South African designer credited with the design. The 24 class gets closer with NBR building the entire fleet, but there is still a South African designer credited with it. I can't with clear conscience say these are "designed in Scotland".

However, looking for locomotives where the NBR built either all of the class or the entire first batch, and a separate designer is not listed, the VR R class 4-6-4 looks like it counts (I'll take that as my 1st choice), and the NZR J class 4-8-2 also looks like it counts (2nd choice).

For my third choice I'll leave the NBR export catalogue behind, and nominate the Highland 'Jones Goods'.

10 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

North British SAR 4-8-4s. 25NCs. and the 15F 4-8-2s
Monsters of the 3ft 6ins gauge, they pounded the veld for years.
Everybody remembers the Garratts, the SAR had some superb 'conventional locos as well.

Ah well, now the SAR 25s were the first thing I went for. However, according to Wikipedia, there weren't DESIGNED by North British. Built there, yes, but the design was part German, part South African (hang on - I'll go back and check - ah, I see Bloodnok beat me to it by a whisker!)

But absolutely agree cracking locos!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, LNER4479 said:

Ah well, now the SAR 25s were the first thing I went for. However, according to Wikipedia, there weren't DESIGNED by North British. Built there, yes, but the design was part German, part South African (hang on - I'll go back and check ...)

But absolutely agree cracking locos!

Beggar, I wondered if that was the case.
Just checked, you are right.
CURSES!:lol:
OK, seeing as the SAR locos weren't NB designs,
I'll go with the Jb series of locos built for the New Zealand Railways.
Maids of all work, they lasted to the end of NZ steam.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Difficult to know what was actually designed in Scotland so I’ll confine my choice to locomotives originating from Scottish railway companies.

1. Highland River class 4-6-0.

2. Reid North British Atlantic’s

3. Caledonian Dunalastair V 4-4-0.

44 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

My three:

1. Victorian R Class (I've ridden behind 4 preserved ones on mainline runs and they're superb engines)

2. NBR Glen

3. NBR J36

Love a good Baltic.

• RMweb Premium

With strong family connections to New Zealand the J class features in my thoughts, but trying to stick to what I think were Gilberts intentions....maybe they were anyway, clever sorts, these legals.........I'll go with the Dunalastair V.

• RMweb Premium

The poll. Neil makes a good point in the post above. What were my intentions? I must have had some, surely?  In the end, it all comes down to idleness and sloppy wordage. What I am intending to do is pull together all the recent polls, and look for the best of the best, if you see what I mean. So, having done the NB and the Caley, what I was wanting was the ultimate winner between the two.

That wasn't what I did ask for though, and the result was an interesting but very eclectic range of suggestions, which I have been unable to reconcile into a sensible result.

So, can we please go back to looking at locomotives designed by Scottish CMEs, or attributed to them, and which spent their lives largely if not entirely in Scotland. This does extend beyond the big two, so the Highland, GNSR etc get a look in, which they haven't had so far. Is that clear? I do hope so.

The very best and most successful based on those criteria then, please. Now I will find out if I have dug my way out of that hole of my own making.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Oh, so that's what you meant ...

In which case, I'm sticking with the CR 'Dunalistair' 4-4-0. Pointed the way forward at the end of the 19th Century with that genre of loco, prior to the later explosion of larger types.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Oh, I love a good nit pick....

"Gresley was born in Edinburgh during his mother's visit there to see a gynaecologist..."

Sounds like she got there just in the nick of time?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Oh, I love a good nit pick....

"Gresley was born in Edinburgh during his mother's visit there to see a gynaecologist..."

Are you wishing to challenge Clive as the champion of deliberate misunderstanding? I'm sure he will be able to up his game if that is the case.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, that does leave me, apres clarification, with either the Dunalastair or Reid Atlantic - both coal hungry but effective beasts.  No, still the Dunalastair, although my Scottish family would say DunalasDair is the correct spelling of that name! 

• Like 2