Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Oh, I love a good nit pick....

"Gresley was born in Edinburgh during his mother's visit there to see a gynaecologist..."

In that case, the LSWR T9, by the well known Scot, Dougal Drummond:blush:

• RMweb Gold

It is indeed distressing to see Gilbert needing to use his sand-wedge (aka the club with a lot of prang on it) to clear the obstacle - only to see the ball rise sharply and then fall back in. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Time to respond to Gilbert's wishes, I think.  So my vote goes to the J36.  I'm still looking for an excuse for one on the southern end of the ECML! 

You will have to assume that one of the locomotives that served in France somehow never made it all the way North again!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, David Bell said:

You will have to assume that one of the locomotives that served in France somehow never made it all the way North again!

... or it's simply en route to France and you invoke groundhog day?

G'Day Folks

I'm going for the N2, Gresley was born in Scotland, NBL built 50 loco's and many worked in and around Glasgow, can't get any more Scottish than that !

manna

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

More wilful misunderstanding, and a less well supported poll in the end, probably because of confusion. Dunalastair 4.4.0s got 3 votes, and that was enough.

Now to the best locomotive design of the Southern Railway. so 1923-48, and no foreign incursions please, or I may send the boys round, socially distanced, of course, and the knuckledusters will have been sanitised.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

That's a cracker!

Be even better in a month or so's time ...

That's what I was hoping you might say. You do realise of course that the few remaining ones will then stick out like sore thumbs even more, and where that might lead.

• RMweb Premium

Hmm... "best" (for which I take "most successful") rather than "favourite"...  

Rules out the Bulleid Pacifics (much as I adore them) as they wouldn't have benefitted from the BR rebuilding if they were already "best".  So for me it comes down to the Q1 0-6-0 freight loco, or the V (Schools) 4-4-0 passenger loco.  However, I recall mention of the Q1 having problems stopping unfitted trains, so I'll vote for the "Schools" class.  

• RMweb Gold

Whatever the shortcomings of their innovative valvegear, the 140 Bulleid Pacifics were cracking locos. The 1948 Exchanges showed that quite clearly - and their appetite for coal kept miners in jobs, too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

More wilful misunderstanding, and a less well supported poll in the end, probably because of confusion. Dunalastair 4.4.0s got 3 votes, and that was enough.

Now to the best locomotive design of the Southern Railway. so 1923-48, and no foreign incursions please, or I may send the boys round, socially distanced, of course, and the knuckledusters will have been sanitised.

The Schools

• RMweb Premium

I'm with Ian - IIRC Bude recorded the highest horsepower in all the 1948 Exchanges, including the big hitter pacifics.  That it was unintentional (she slipped in to full gear when working hard uphill - that Bulleid reverser!) and it was only for a short period before the slipped isn't of interest - the point is they made steam and power like no other.  21C20 for me of course, as I worked for them.

• RMweb Premium

The Bulleid - Raworth Class CC were very interesting, but of limited use and only three of them. It is a pity that the prototype 1Co-Co1 diesels 10201 / 2 weren't completed till 1950 - they would have had a much wider area of operation - and went on to spawn what was to become the Class 40.

So my vote goes to the Bulleid "Lght Pacifics" (WC & BB types) which were real "Go anywhere / Do anything" machines capable of prodigious feats of haulage - although they could be a bit slippery when trying to get a load underway.

Regards

Chris H

P.S. - You could also put the Light Pacifics through the Carriage washer - but only if the crew needed a bath!

CH

Edited by Metropolitan H
Added P.S.
  • Like 1