Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

N15 Arthurs. Mainstay Express Passenger Loco's before the Bulleids appeared and still main line, but more secondary passenger, until the late 50s. In reality they were more 'successful' than the Light Pacifics (and MNs) as they lasted a lot longer than the Pacifics and were less problematic. I realise the Modified Pacifics were meant to last until the mid 70s for accountancy purposes, but they didn't!

Ar$£

I’d like to say the Q but it was a bit of an old fashioned design by the time it came out and was soon eclipsed in service by  more modern and more powerful and more modern Q1, which ugly as it was, did everything it said on the tin, and continued to do so until the end Of Steam.

So on the basis of success although not looks the Q1gets My vote

9 hours ago, great northern said:

Now to the best locomotive design of the Southern Railway. so 1923-48, and no foreign incursions please, or I may send the boys round, socially distanced, of course, and the knuckledusters will have been sanitised.

I also nominate Mr Bulleid's specifics.

If you want to be more specific than that then I have to say that a Merchant Navy in rebuilt form is a seriously awesome piece of kit. If that isn't allowed (on account of it being a comprehensive BR rebuild from 1956 onwards) then just Bulleid specifics. There was quite a bit of the originals left despite all that rebuilding and that boiler is an awesome steam raiser, thermic siphons et al. Nice sounding whistle as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

The Bulleid - Raworth Class CC were very interesting, but of limited use and only three of them

True, but they did good work for many years, especially on the Newhaven boat trains. The boosters were an excellent idea.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I also nominate Mr Bulleid's specifics.

If you want to be more specific than that then I have to say that a Merchant Navy in rebuilt form is a seriously awesome piece of kit. If that isn't allowed (on account of it being a comprehensive BR rebuild from 1956 onwards) then just Bulleid specifics. There was quite a bit of the originals left despite all that rebuilding and that boiler is an awesome steam raiser, thermic siphons et al. Nice sounding whistle as well.

I think you should be a bit more specific...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Class V, 'Schools' please.
I had a good look at the middle valve gear a few years ago, and couldn't see what all the fuss on other Railways was about.
(Must try and find the pictures.)
Driving onto the leading axle does help.
I hope we can see 'Morayshire' again soon.

• RMweb Premium

Schools class won the poll with 8 votes to 7 for the Bulleid Pacifics.

Which brings us to the search for the overall best locomotive design of the LMS. Qualifying CMEs are Hughes, Fowler,Lemon,Stanier, Fairburn and H G Ivatt. I don't know if any of those did any designs for overseas railways, but if they did, they don't qualify. Now try to wriggle your way out of that one. Some of you will, I just know you will.

However, our most regular offender will be unable to do so for at least part of the day, as I shall have him under surveillance. Clive, Steve 31A, the Mighty duck of Retford and I will be meeting up in just over an hours time, outside of course. Been looking forward to that for ages. Perhaps near normality really is on the horizon.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 minutes ago, great northern said:

Which brings us to the search for the overall best locomotive design of the LMS. Qualifying CMEs are Hughes, Fowler,Lemon,Stanier, Fairburn and H G Ivatt. I don't know if any of those did any designs for overseas railways, but if they did, they don't qualify. Now try to wriggle your way out of that one. Some of you will, I just know you will.

In which case, just got to be:

46229.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

In which case, just got to be:

46229.JPG

Wot he said!  Without a shadow of doubt the best design from the LMS. 

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m not an expert on the LMS, but while the Duchesses maybe the ‘sexiest’, surely the Black 5 and 8F were the ‘best’ measured in terms of success and fitness for purpose? 

I’ll go Black 5.

Andy

• Agree 1

Too few Duchess/Coronations so their contribution to the LMS overall was limited. For me, it has to be the Black Five or 8F 2-8-0.  As the 8F was chosen by the MoS during the war and built by other railways, it gets my nomination.

• Like 1