Peterborough North

great northern

12 hours ago, great northern said:

Which brings us to the search for the overall best locomotive design of the LMS. Qualifying CMEs are Hughes, Fowler,Lemon,Stanier, Fairburn and H G Ivatt. I don't know if any of those did any designs for overseas railways, but if they did, they don't qualify. Now try to wriggle your way out of that one. Some of you will, I just know you will.

Okay. This one has to be the  Stanier 0F 7080–7119. While the earlier LMS 7069-7079 are closer in pattern to the eventual thousand plus future copies on which the railway still depends, they are not attributed to a qualifying CME...

• Funny 1

40 minutes ago, great northern said:

We had a lovely morning, we did. A trifle cold, but never mind. And Clive was very good indeed. So good to be able just to sit and talk with good friends.

Your evening picture gives another angle on the departure of 60111.

1970662721_1A3.JPG.0d941e0801d9c20b133073983d257e3e.JPG

Lovely natural shot. The A3s really were elegant.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

That was a closer poll than I expected. 3 votes for the Coronations got us under way, but after that it became a battle between the Black 5 and the 8F, which the Black 5 shaded by just two votes, 12 to 10.

And so the the LNER. The very best design of that august Company. I will allow first, second and third choices, as this is going to be a hard one. Once again, restricted to locos which actually ran on the LNER please.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Gilbert, did you mean to change from "successful" to best?

Good question. I suppose it could be argued that the best would also be the most successful, but I should stick to what has gone before, so most successful it is.

Thanks for the clarification, it does affect my vote.

If it were "best", then I would vote

(1), express passenger A4, fast and powerful

(2) mixed traffic the V4 (better route availability and riding, and more even torque than the B1)

(3) freight the P1, the 9F of the twenties and thirties but a loco ahead of its time.

As we are voting for most successful, my votes are

(1) express passenger A3, (more numerous and longer-lived than other express classes)

(2) mixed traffic, V2 (numerous and versatile)

(3) heavy goods, the Robinson O4, a very numerous, long lived and robust locomotive.

Whilst I've not included any tank engines, in my mind none challenged the above choices.

Chaps, just to say that I suspect the arbiter will rule out the O4 on account of it not being an LNER design. I think this poll is for locos designed in the LNER era only, ie 1923-1947. On that basis, a vote for the O4 - magnificent locos though they were - would be a wasted vote. On the same basis, Gresley A1 (1922 GNR design) is out but A3 of 1928 (the so-called 'super pacific' at the time) is OK.

But there again, it's not my poll. Merely highlighting as there's been three O4 votes now.

By same token, Peppercorn A2 should be OK but Peppercorn A1 not so?

Cor - complicated, innit?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, LNER4479 said:

Chaps, just to say that I suspect the arbiter will rule out the O4 on account of it not being an LNER design. I think this poll is for locos designed in the LNER era only, ie 1923-1947. On that basis, a vote for the O4 - magnificent locos though they were - would be a wasted vote. On the same basis, Gresley A1 (1922 GNR design) is out but A3 of 1928 (the so-called 'super pacific' at the time) is OK.

But there again, it's not my poll. Merely highlighting as there's been three O4 votes now.

By same token, Peppercorn A2 should be OK but Peppercorn A1 not so?

Cor - complicated, innit?

Thank you Graham, and you are quite correct. The 04 has had its moment in the GC poll, and is not eligible this time. I did say "Designed in the LNER era" very deliberately, as the Peppercorn A1s most definitely were, even though they did not appear until 1948/9. Complicated?  How could it not be, with Clive around?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, great northern said:

Thank you Graham, and you are quite correct. The 04 has had its moment in the GC poll, and is not eligible this time. I did say "Designed in the LNER era" very deliberately, as the Peppercorn A1s most definitely were, even though they did not appear until 1948/9. Complicated?  How could it not be, with Clive around?

Now that is not fair, I behaved myself today. Three classes that were LNER designs.

:secret:All of you who went for the 04, change it to the 01. :secret:

• Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Now that is not fair, I behaved myself today. Three classes that were LNER designs.

:secret:All of you who went for the 04, change it to the 01. :secret:

I can't agree that the 01 was one of the LNER's most successful designs. May I change my goods loco vote from O4 to J39, numerous and long-lived?

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Ah - in which case I'll change my votes then, as follows:

1 - A1 (Peppercorn) (especially the 50th one!)

2 - A3

3 - V2

:imsohappy:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

1 = V2

2=  A4

3=  A3

(and preferably all with double Kylchap exhaust please - and yes I am aware that under the LNER No V2s, and only 4 A4s and one A3 had such. I could have gone for the Peppercorn A1s and the A2s with double kylchap, and I do also like the B1s.)

Edited by drmditch