Peterborough North

great northern

22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah but, Stanier authorised Stewart to go ahead using off the shelf LMS bits and bobs. Therefore I should have correctly called them Stanier Class W. Had I done so someone would have said they were a Stewart design, remember Stewart was Stanier's man in Northern Ireland, so correctly they should be Stanier/Stewart Class W.

Just winding you up :lol:. I think it was basically a tender version of a Fowler 2-6-4 tank although how Stewart managed to turn such a beautiful tank engine into such an ugly tender engine I have no idea.  

Have we sorted out whether the A3 is basically a GNR A1 with a higher boiler pressure  ? Seems like it to me so :-

1. A4 
2. B1. Cheaply built but fastest up Hemerdon Bank in the 1948 Locomotive Exchanges albeit with a lighter load than the Pacific’s but a remarkable performance.

3. V2

• Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Have we sorted out whether the A3 is basically a GNR A1 with a higher boiler pressure  ? Seems like it to me so :-

1. A4 
2. B1. Cheaply built but fastest up Hemerdon Bank in the 1948 Locomotive Exchanges albeit with a lighter load than the Pacific’s but a remarkable performance.

3. V2

I think we're OK with the A3. It was certainly regarded as a new class at the time (1928), hence the designation. Admittedly not that different but you have to draw the line somewhere.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Just winding you up :lol:. I think it was basically a tender version of a Fowler 2-6-4 tank although how Stewart managed to turn such a beautiful tank engine into such an ugly tender engine I have no idea.  

Now that is :protest:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

I think we're OK with the A3. It was certainly regarded as a new class at the time (1928), hence the designation. Admittedly not that different but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Wonderful LNER logic gave the reboilered A1 a new class number so acceptable in our poll but the reboilered O4s only received different part numbers, so they aren't.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Wonderful LNER logic gave the reboilered A1 a new class number so acceptable in our poll but the reboilered O4s only received different part numbers, so they aren't.

Don't forget the long travel valves! That was part of the magic behind your grand day out on 5th March 1935.

But - yes - plenty of class number / sub-division anomalies to keep us talking for the rest of our days

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Second choice Peppercorn K1

Erm point of order adjudicator - did any Peppercorn K1s actually run on the LNER?

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, 31A said:

Erm point of order adjudicator - did any Peppercorn K1s actually run on the LNER?

Your mate Gilbert has already said that A1s were allowed as they were designed in LNER times.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Your mate Gilbert has already said that A1s were allowed as they were designed in LNER times.

Fair enough!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now to the poll. Much more exciting than some others which are apparently going on. I have allocated 3 points to first choices, 2 to second, and one to third.

And the result is......In fifth place, with 10 points, the B1. In fourth place, with 13 points, the A1. Third with 23 points, the A3. Second, with 28 points, the A4. The clear winner, with 38 points the V2.

Breaking it down a bit more, A4 and V2 both got 6 votes as first choice. The A4 got 13 votes in total, but the V2 got 19. and that, I think, shows that the V2 was regarded as the most effective and versatile LNER design. And who would disagree with that?

• Like 3
  • Agree 4