Peterborough North

great northern

Obviously, I’m with Graham, St Wulfram’s church tower and spire, in Grantham.  I always take in the view whenever I’m checking Barrowby Road Bridge after another HGV has decided to try and move it!

Paul

p.s. I declare bias, as up till now, I’ve always lived here.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

An ecclesiastical tie in the poll. St Wulfrum's Grantham and Lincoln Cathedral, 2-2. I have the casting vote, of course, and it has to be for the magnificent Catherdral which was almost always in sight as I grew up.

Your train now continues through Heck and Selby to York, and thence to Darlington. What is the most eagerly anticipated sight on the right hand side?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Recount please! I think there were two, possibly even two-and-a-half, votes for TW's place.

I have recounted, as requested. Yours was an unequivocal vote for TW's house. The other vote which mentioned that area was from Clive, and as is his wont, was perhaps more of an observational flavour than an actual vote.  It also creates doubt as to the actual location, as there is mention of a scout hut. Having visited Sir's abode many times, I know that there is no such thing there. I also doubt that TW would ever claim that either his house or, if he had one, his scout hut, would begin to compare in architectural merit with either St Wulfram's or the Cathedral.

All in all, and with my retired lawyer's hat on, I have no hesitation in declaring the original count valid. And you were only being naughty anyway.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Point of order, Mr Adjudicator - can you actually see Lincoln cathedral from the ECML as you speed along, presumably somewhere between Newark and Retford? If you can, my apologies - I shall have to look out on the left hand side (southbound) more keenly next time I'm on a train (currently of indeterminate type) on that stretch. I might even have some signals with me on that occasion?

Meanwhile - Donny to Darlo. Now my favourite sight, being a north country lad and fond of hills, is about 20 miles north of York, where, after 200 miles of flatness, at last some 'ills appear! My vote therefore goes to the sight (on a good day) of the North Yorks Moors escarpment in that area and specifically the Kilburn white horse near Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe (longest hyphenated place name in England)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It’s York Minster for me. It’s always good to see it as it comes into view. Such a lovely old building going back so many centuries. But, I just wish to add, that Beverley also has a Minster, so if you ever do Hull to Scarborough, that’s something to consider.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, great northern said:

I have recounted, as requested. Yours was an unequivocal vote for TW's house. The other vote which mentioned that area was from Clive, and as is his wont, was perhaps more of an observational flavour than an actual vote.  It also creates doubt as to the actual location, as there is mention of a scout hut. Having visited Sir's abode many times, I know that there is no such thing there. I also doubt that TW would ever claim that either his house or, if he had one, his scout hut, would begin to compare in architectural merit with either St Wulfram's or the Cathedral.

All in all, and with my retired lawyer's hat on, I have no hesitation in declaring the original count valid. And you were only being naughty anyway.

Fair enough! Jonathan @jwealleans also alluded to it, although I couldn't decide whether he was voting for the house or the Mallard sign, hence my comment about half a vote!

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

I'm with Graham. Kilburn White Horse please (although if sights in general rather than scenery were allowed I'd probably pick Drax, one of my old haunts when I was based at Holbeck).

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Point of order, Mr Adjudicator - can you actually see Lincoln cathedral from the ECML as you speed along, presumably somewhere between Newark and Retford? If you can, my apologies - I shall have to look out on the left hand side (southbound) more keenly next time I'm on a train (currently of indeterminate type) on that stretch. I might even have some signals with me on that occasion?

Meanwhile - Donny to Darlo. Now my favourite sight, being a north country lad and fond of hills, is about 20 miles north of York, where, after 200 miles of flatness, at last some 'ills appear! My vote therefore goes to the sight (on a good day) of the North Yorks Moors escarpment in that area and specifically the Kilburn white horse near Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe (longest hyphenated place name in England)

Yes, the Cathedral is visible, particularly on a clear day. There aren't many hills looking that way until you get to the Wolds, so it very much dominates the horizon for miles around.The hill it stands on is steep. I can vouch for that.

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, great northern said:

Yes, the Cathedral is visible, particularly on a clear day. There aren't many hills looking that way until you get to the Wolds, so it very much dominates the horizon for miles around.The hill it stands on is steep. I can vouch for that.

Indeed - I too have walked up that little slope a couple of times.

OK - eyes will be peeled a little more keenly next time, then. Every day's a school day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, great northern said:

My mate was on a heavily delayed National Express coach on his way to Lincoln to stay with me one weekend many many years ago, he told me that he saw the cathedral well lit up in the dark and thought to himself,"Blimey, Lincoln's a big place!" So he was about to step off the coach when he spotted a sign saying "Newark" and stepped back in after checking with the driver!

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

I have never got to the Cathedral via the steep hill from Central Station, there is a magnet that pulls me into B&M models every time I go that way.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Indeed - I too have walked up that little slope a couple of times.

OK - eyes will be peeled a little more keenly next time, then. Every day's a school day.

Always seems to be easier to see it when going south; look to the left and forward somewhere around Askham Tunnel / Tuxford! 

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

... there is a magnet that pulls me into B&M models every time I go that way.

I've also suffered from the same malaise - a right Aladdin's cave that place.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Sadly no longer there. I used to suffer from the same malaise - a right Aladdin's cave was that place.

What? I was outside that shop this morning and there was no indication that it has closed permanently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

That may be why the street name is 'Steep Hill'.

Lloyd

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Welly said:

What? I was outside that shop this morning and there was no indication that it has closed permanently.

In which case, I sincerely apologise and have altered my post accordingly.

I must be confusing it with somewhere else, then? Good news for my legs then next time I'm there ...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for the section through the Vale Of Mowbray, with views across to the North Yorkshire Moors.  The white horse is as good a single landmark as any.

Adrian