Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Anyone that can 'see' Lincoln Cathedral from the ECML ls having a laugh. Yes, something lumpy and a bit square looking on the horizon on a hill, but come on, if you didn't know it was there would you know what it was unless told? I lodge a protest for that. The lovely church at  Claypole, Northern Rubber at Retford, the Viaduct at Bawtry, you can 'see' those and recognise what they are, but Lincoln Cathedral. Come on Ref, they are havin a larf.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Anyone that can 'see' Lincoln Cathedral from the ECML ls having a laugh. Yes, something lumpy and a bit square looking on the horizon on a hill, but come on, if you didn't know it was there would you know what it was unless told? I lodge a protest for that. The lovely church at  Claypole, Northern Rubber at Retford, the Viaduct at Bawtry, you can 'see' those and recognise what they are, but Lincoln Cathedral. Come on Ref, they are havin a larf.

Easily seen on a clear day though Phil. I take your point that if you know what it is your mind's eye will see that, whereas if you don't it might not, but it is in view, and if my memory is on track, I believe the little book the LNER/BR put out for travellers on the ECML, does mention it as one of the sights to look out for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, great northern said:

Another tied poll York Minster 3 Kilburn white horse 3.

On from Darlington, through Newcastle, and as far as Morpeth. Still only on the right.

Aha - you're being quite canny there, leaving the views of the actual east coast itself till a further day ...

Easy one this, for me: the spectacular approach to Newcastle itself and the iconic view of the Tyne bridges.

MYDC0908.JPG

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Easily seen on a clear day though Phil. I take your point that if you know what it is your mind's eye will see that, whereas if you don't it might not, but it is in view, and if my memory is on track, I believe the little book the LNER/BR put out for travellers on the ECML, does mention it as one of the sights to look out for.

I have a copy of the LNER booklet for travellers, titled "On Either Side" and published in 1939 for the then princely sum of 1/-. Here's the quote on page 14: "Lincoln Cathedral can be seen from the line between Crow Park and Dukeries Junction on a clear day".

So there we go! 

David 

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Have to say it must be Durham Cathedral as you sail across the viaduct.

I remember climbing to the top of the tower to film 6201 southbound. Was glad I was at the top long enough before the train arrived to get my breath back!

Bazza

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Has to be Durham - Cathedral and Castle

(I don't often get to enjoy this view because I'm usually trying to identify my seat, and/or find a space for luggage - or looking standing by the door on the other side waiting for the green opening light.)

Newcastle is also good - river, bridges, castle and station - hopefully having coffee by then - if in first class and travelling to Edinburgh.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here is an announcement about a forthcoming announcement. Brian Mc Dermott has very kindly offered to run a poll which will relate to specific LNER/ER carriages and wagons. The poll that Brian and the team run annually is closely watched by manufacturers, and does often seem to influence future announcements. Brian will give the full details tomorrow, so all I will add is that you will both have a chance to vote for your favourite coaches and wagons, and in so doing possibly to increase the chances of getting your hands on RTR ones.

I will also continue the current trip around the UK looking for favourite views from the carriage window. This means that you will have two polls running at the same time. Mine will be daily, while Brian's will run for five days. The opportunities for confusion and even deliberate misunderstanding are clear to see, but this is just another example of the trouble the management goes to to give you hours of fun. I was going to say innocent fun, but on second thoughts I don't think I will.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Durham Cathedral for me - my ol dad was a Warden there, he used to say terrible things to American visitors about Hadrian building 'The Wall' to stop Border Reivers from nicking the lead from the roof...... :lol:

It was the 'almost home' sign for me after months away.

• Like 3

My vote is for

1672183996_DSC_2096s.jpg.2ae41145b4ab33b78233fe4c43818997.jpg

Taken from 'The Coronation' trip to Edinburgh 14/6/2013, behind 'Nine' at that stage.

Also, I agree that Lincoln Cathedral is visible from the ECML as I saw it on the return trip.

Gilbert it was a couple of weeks after this trip that I visited you to see PN in the flesh.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Added comment
  • Like 12