Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Rolling Stock Mini-Polls (being run on behalf of Gilbert by Brian Macdermott)

Hello everyone

Recently, Gilbert asked for suggestions for his series of informal and highly enjoyable polls. I submitted an idea for a series of seven weekly polls – each of no more than 10 items per week – concerning rolling stock not yet (or not fully yet) available in RTR form and which have at least some relevance to Peterborough North traffic.

These Polls will be for items that you would like to see made RTR and would realistically wish to buy. I make the assumption that any item would be produced in a full range of liveries from LNER to BR.

The Polls will be:

No.1: Gresley & Thompson Gangwayed

No.2: Gresley & Thompson Catering

No.3: Non-passenger – 4- & 6-wheel

No.4: Non-passenger – 8-wheel

No.5: Freight Stock – 4-wheel (Pre-1951)

No.6: Freight Stock – 4-wheel (Post-1950)

No.7: Freight Stock – 8-wheel

The first will start next Monday 17 May during the morning. You will have until 17.00 on Thursday 20 May to submit your wishes – either here, on the thread, or PM direct to me if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method. I will present the results during the day on Friday 21 May.

Subsequent Polls will follow the same Monday, Thursday, Friday timetable; however, on Monday 5 July, I will present a full summary: ‘Overall Results – Top-to-Bottom’.

In the unlikely event that any poll reaches 50 votes, I will stop early and advise by a posting to this thread – so vote early!

Gilbert and I hope you will find these Mini-Polls both challenging and interesting – you will certainly need your thinking caps on as you have to make a limited selection from the lists!

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’.

These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved (apart from me in my ‘personal capacity’.)

All the best,

Brian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Diagram 10 (A,B,C) RF please - and the RT(P) to go with it.

Next?

Hello LNER4479

You'll have to wait until Monday 24 May!

Brian

Edited by BMacdermott
Corrected date.
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Has to be The Tyne and Bridges. As spectacularly modern and clean now as it was spectacularly industrial and crowded in the late 50s.

Durham  and the Cathedral in particular, is beautiful of course, so Mrs Mallard votes for that.

Bishop Grosseteste.

P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

concerning rolling stock not yet (or not fully yet) available in RTR form

What about not accurately enough yet available in RTR form? That's why I currently don't own any RTR Gresley coaches at the moment. Not that manufacturers haven't made them, but that they haven't captured the shape well enough...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

So much to see from the right hand side of the train on that stretch but I will go for running into Berwick from Tweedmouth with firstly the view of the Royal Border Bridge, and then running over it.  As well as the wonderful view of Berwick, if you turn your head you can look right down the Northumberland coast to Bamburgh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, great northern said:

Belatedly, the poll result. Not surprisingly the winner was Durham Cathedral, by a long way. Proceed now from Morpeth to Edinburgh, where I reckon you would be looking to the right a lot of the time anyway.

And there was me thinking that you'd split it at Berwick - so much of the delights of the East coast are crammed into this section across the border.

The Royal Border bridge does take some beating - 'iconic' is an entirely appropriate description.

However, the views out to sea running along the cliff tops just north of Berwick (as you actually cross the border) just shade it as my personal favourite.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

What about not accurately enough yet available in RTR form? That's why I currently don't own any RTR Gresley coaches at the moment. Not that manufacturers haven't made them, but that they haven't captured the shape well enough...

Hello Bloodnok

You are welcome to try that one yourself, but I would be grateful if you could hold it until my series finishes - comments may arise that could usefully 'feed into' what you do.

Personally, I wont take the job on...I know from experience of running The 00 Wishlist Poll that it's a difficult subject!:)

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It's got to be one of the sea views, hasn't it?

So...

Holy Island (Lindisfarne)?

The sweep of the Tweed estuary and the Royal Border Bridge?

The border sign at Marshall Meadows?

Cockenzie Power Station (only kidding)?

Actually, no.

I'm going to choose the distant, oblique views of Arthur's Seat after Prestonpans until just before you swing to the right at Monktonhall.

• RMweb Premium

Assuming that "The Northumberland Coast" (all the bits that can be seen from the train, taken together as one...) is a bit too unspecific to be allowable, I'll have to vote for the view of the Royal Border Bridge.  

I know I've already voted but it's so lovely along that stretch that I couldn't help posting a few pics:

20200912_160146.jpg.da25f529355661f21c0aa4809ebd4fa8.jpg

Another favourite of mine is the view of Alnmouth, viewed from the train, south of the station. It's a charming little place, well worth the walk down from the station

CIMG4643.JPG.6aaad3afb7ca2eb8eda44618d4ac937a.JPG

And now that bridge. Horrors! If you look closely at the front of the train you'll see that it's not my normal 'fare' (it was Tornado on the way back - Elizabethan 2012).

WP_20180815_11_06_00_Pro.jpg.fd80fbba21493cfe619938f91873bca4.jpg

Another walk from a station that's richly rewarded. Even the overhead structures don't impinge much on its elegant lines. What a beautiful thing - sheer poetry in architecture.

MYDC0920.JPG.5c51930c1f8cadf33ac340b72408915e.JPG

Now with proper motive power in charge - Tornado 'Top Gear' special 2009

20200912_153541.jpg.63d808da93836f7de69f9a357f67a221.jpg

with 'each a glimpse - gone forever' moments like this.

I shall forever be a die-hard West Coast fan ... but this stretch is the East Coast's tour de force

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Another favourite of mine is the view of Alnmouth,

A truly lovely little place. The first few production HST trial runs terminated here and most of the team lunched in a tavern in Alnmouth. I can remember on one occasion some of the team, me included, missed the return trip to Derby LL. The runs to Alnmouth ended shortly after...

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sandhole said:

As regards LNER stock I'd like to see,
Gresley metal sided stock, both solo and articulated.
Tourist stock too.

Hello Sandhole

Please vote on Monday - I am not counting until then, and only on those on the list.

Thanks.

Brian