Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

North of Newcastle ????? Hadrian had the best idea, build a high wall then you cannot see what is going on. 

:punish:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

You are welcome to try that one yourself, but I would be grateful if you could hold it until my series finishes - comments may arise that could usefully 'feed into' what you do.

I am not proposing to run my own poll. And even if I did, I wouldn't assume I could just decide to start one in Gilbert's thread...

3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Personally, I wont take the job on...I know from experience of running The 00 Wishlist Poll that it's a difficult subject!:)

As much as I disagree with the choice (because most of what I personally want has been done before but to poor standards of accuracy), I absolutely understand how it is both entirely subjective and creates debate, and why both of these things are utter cancer in the context of something like The 00 Wishlist Poll.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

As I have said it isn't a route I travelled on very often so to familiarise myself I thought I would have a look at this bit of film again. A couple of things I noticed, Mungo has his bestest brown brogues on for the film, more importantly for most the film the lead coach is not a pressure ventilated one but a general service one and at Waverly station the passengers decant from a BR Mk1 CK. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

So many lovely coastal views on this section of the ECML, however I am going for the view when approaching Meadowbank near the site of St. Margarets Shed and seeing the top of the floodlights at Easter Road stadium, home to the magnificent Hi-Bees.

Eric

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The view of Alnmouth village and the mouth of the River Aln as the train approaches Alnmouth station, passing Shilbottle Junction and Wooden Gates crossing.

Alnmouth is a lovely place which I often visit, even in the depths of a Northumberland winter.

David

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

North of Newcastle ????? Hadrian had the best idea, build a high wall then you cannot see what is going on. 

:punish:

I thought you wanted Hadrian to build his wall at Royal Oak :)

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As I have said it isn't a route I travelled on very often so to familiarise myself I thought I would have a look at this bit of film again. A couple of things I noticed, Mungo has his bestest brown brogues on for the film, more importantly for most the film the lead coach is not a pressure ventilated one but a general service one and at Waverly station the passengers decant from a BR Mk1 CK. 

The opening scene is Victoria not Kings cross. I wonder if one or two of the footplate scenes are filmed with the engine stationary in the shed or something and the scenery add later. In particular when they get signal checked Mungo crosses over to the drivers side, stands in the gap between engine and tender and looks ahead. What would he be looking for  ?The driver had already seen the signal. How come the fireman wasn’t quieting the first down once steam was shut of instead of looking ahead. More importantly at maybe 50-60 mph why didn’t his cap blow off with his head right out like that, and no sign of wind rushing past ? Still it is an absolutely super film I never tire of watching.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, great northern said:

I am now going to rely on my memory, which is a dangerous thing to do. Anyway, wasn't Silver Fox the A4 in that Elizabethan film? By coincidence, she features in tonight's PN image, cruising through with that FO Dundee service. Here she is viewed from the other side of Crescent Bridge, and with the signalman there ready to warn the photographer if he is about to be wiped up by something approaching from his rear.

1514834464_1Foxone.JPG.3f0443c6c73d6bab1765001e3dacd2f1.JPG

It was indeed Silver Fox in the film , one time holder of the British, if not world speed record for steam. By the date of your picture , Summer 1958 it would still have probably been the the second or third fastest . Round about that time I

Bill. Hoole had taken Silver Link I think it was, down Stoke Bank at 117mph, properly timed by one of the regular recorders  but not published to keep him out of trouble. 

Anyway your lovely picture sets us wondering what speed Silver Fox had just reached as it descended Stoke Bank just a few minutes before slowing down for its Peterborough stop.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

I am not proposing to run my own poll. And even if I did, I wouldn't assume I could just decide to start one in Gilbert's thread...

Hello Bloodnok

I 'took it as read' that you - or anyone else - would consult Gilbert before starting any poll. That's why my idea went to him via PM in the first instance.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lots of choice for this poll. Berwick and its surrounds got 6 votes, closely pursued by Alnmouth with 4.

Onward from Edinburgh, and as far as Dundee today. Of course there is one particularly large contender.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Oh Gilbert. Wish you had stopped at Waverley. Makes the choice between the magnificent arrival there, in that wonderful cutting, surrounded by the glorious buildings in central Edinburgh and the  red structure, impossible. 

In the hope you might repent, I go for Waverley.   

P

We did stop at Waverley Phil. I think you must have fallen asleep. I shall allow it anyway.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Once again a lot to choose from, but ignoring for the moment the obvious and spectacular bridges, I shall vote for the coastal stretch  Aberdour - Burntisland - Kinghorn, which is as good as any coastal railway journey in the Kingdom but not often mentioned.  Interesting to stare out across the sea and think you were over the other side about an hour or so ago, on the same train!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My choice is the panorama of Edinburgh (and Cockenzie Power Station to the east - only kidding again), with the backdrop of the Pentlands, across the Firth of Forth along the stretch after crossing Large Contender between Aberdour and where the line turns inland after Kirkcaldy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I shall go for the Forth Bridge.

At Dalmeny Station, ahead is the southern end of the Bridge and memories come back of the 50s going on holiday to the Fife Coast towns and flinging coins out of the carriage window when going across it. No doubt that there are countless coins in the bottom of the Forth, usually pennies or halfpennies. Threepenny bits were a bit too much!

These holidays started at The Waverley and I recall about 1951 my father taking me up to see “the engine” which would be taking us across to Fife and there she was gleaming and simmering  – Pearl Diver. – Wonderful

Of course to us northern East Coast Main Line fans, another requisite and exciting view on the right hand, northern side, from the line on approaching the western suburbs of town was our Top Shed, Haymarket, but that’s another story.

Eric

1631381080_TheScotsman17October1996(2).JPG.ea12d077a3a6d25c6beac127026bb48b.JPG

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I'll sit this one out - my railway world stops at Edinburgh on the ECML.

- But I have reached Kiruna (Sweden) by train(s) all the way from St.Pancras (albeit the train was on a boat for a 18KM ride from Puttgarden to Rodby). It took a few days. Couldn't get all the way to Narvik by train as the line was closed for engineering works so we had to go by Rail Replacement Bus!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The remains of the first Tay Bridge as you look down the Tay at Broughty Ferry.

I use to be a bit more than friends with a girl in the WRAC who came from Broughty Ferry but we never really went out with each other. Well I was on leave in Dundee staying with my mate's family. Him and I went out to this club and ended up taking two girls from Broughty Ferry home. The girl my mate was with mentioned one the girls from her class joined the army, yes the girl I was more than friends with. So my mate said we both knew her, me more than him. Well the lassie I was with then started to say how she really did disliked her. Oh (not an RMweb word) I am done for, so I thought. Phew... got away with that one. I saw her one more time before having to go back to camp.

On returning to England I went to the pub near the WRAC barracks in Guildford where we use to hang out and my WRAC friend asked did I have a good time in Dundee? Her old school chum had sent her a letter saying how she was now going out with my mate and his English pal had been with their other class mate. It was when she asked me was she still a tart like she was at school, I didn't know how to answer that. Oh (not an RMweb word) I am done for, so I thought again. Thankfully we remained on friendly terms until I was posted away.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The remains of the first Tay Bridge as you look down the Tay at Broughty Ferry.

I use to be a bit more than friends with a girl in the WRAC who came from Broughty Ferry but we never really went out with each other. Well I was on leave in Dundee staying with my mate's family. Him and I went out to this club and ended up taking two girls from Broughty Ferry home. The girl my mate was with mentioned one the girls from her class joined the army, yes the girl I was more than friends with. So my mate said we both knew her, me more than him. Well the lassie I was with then started to say how she really did disliked her. Oh (not an RMweb word) I am done for, so I thought. Phew... got away with that one. I saw her one more time before having to go back to camp.

On returning to England I went to the pub near the WRAC barracks in Guildford where we use to hang out and my WRAC friend asked did I have a good time in Dundee? Her old school chum had sent her a letter saying how she was now going out with my mate and his English pal had been with their other class mate. It was when she asked me was she still a tart like she was at school, I didn't know how to answer that. Oh (not an RMweb word) I am done for, so I thought again. Thankfully we remained on friendly terms until I was posted away.

TMI

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3