Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Jon4470 said:

My vote is for 4 and 5.

The reason is that the RTP (no 4) and the RF (no 5) form the catering pair for the 5 coach portion that made it from Kings Cross to Ripon.

While I’d be tempted by the triplet, I really couldn’t justify one. So I won’t vote for it on the basis that I wouldn’t realistically buy it RTR.

If you buy the KIts there is an idiot on here that may build them to a  stage where final details and painting are the only thing you would need to do + some expenses!!!!!!!!!

P

5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Go on, you know you want to...

Do you have a Time machine dear boy? GBR vans aren't even built yet as the Contract hasn't been awarded to a Minister's mate down the Pub.:girldevil:

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The G*R vaccine is only effective for a short time!

It has been found to be very effective in the followers of the SR withered arm who have suffered from the effects of G*R for many years! When the arm was affected it caused a mass shutdown by stealth and still leaves major after effects!! There may be some hope of a healing of certain problems in the near future. Maybe the Belle will sound again?

Chaz

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, CHAZ D said:

The G*R vaccine is only effective for a short time!

It has been found to be very effective in the followers of the SR withered arm who have suffered from the effects of G*R for many years! When the arm was affected it caused a mass shutdown by stealth and still leaves major after effects!! There may be some hope of a healing of certain problems in the near future. Maybe the Belle will sound again?

Chaz

I've been lucky then. Mine has lasted for many years. Or perhaps I had aversion therapy? Can't remember now, as it was such a long time ago.:jester:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many thanks to all who have contributed to the voting and commenting on the Mini-Polls so far.

As I have slightly revamped NPCCS into one poll (instead of two) - and that Gilbert has kindly approved an idea submitted by Phil (Mallard) -  the running order and Poll numbering from Monday is as below.

No.3: Non-passenger-carrying Coaching Stock (NPCCS)

No.4: Freight Stock – 4-wheel (Pre-1951)

No.5: Freight Stock – 4-wheel (Post-1950)

No.6: Freight Stock – 8-wheel

No.7: Departmental Stock

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

The Eastern companies had some sexy parcels stock. The 1950's frieght stock is a wide church.
My choice.
Chris.

Hello Chris

The NPCCS and Freight Stock Polls are not yet published. Am I misunderstanding something with your choices 3, 4, 5? You have already voted in Mini-Poll No.3.

Brian

1, 4, 5, 7 for me in the current poll Brian. The steel 5 in particular would be great on my southern area LNER mid to late 30s layout.

And in answer to your question last week to me things are mostly pretty good here in SA. I'm busy arranging our group's participation in our annual Adelaide Exhibition in two weeks time and also our annual BRMA Convention we're hosting here in Adelaide later in the year (deferred from 2020).

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have just fitted the "Hunt's Elite" (pivoting) to an old Triang-Hornby Bowaters slurry tank (R668). My modelling skills are far from being at an advanced level so this is all a learning curve for me. Chris Hunt had one pack of five left so I snapped them up and they arrived within two days. 

On Saturday evening I decided to have a go at fitting the first one. I carefully drilled out the brass rivet and the rest was very very easy. The cross beam on the Hunt's coupling is an absolute perfect fit and snaps into place nice and snug. The cylindrical stud on the model does seem to suffer slight damage no matter how careful you are with the drill but I see no problem with making and fitting a new part enabling a self tapping screw to be inserted. Even if the centre stud remains intact it will probably need a bit taken off the length to allow the Hunt's to sit flush. A few strokes using a file will do the trick.

I haven't glued or screwed anything in place yet, they are just snapped on for now but in time I will fit them permanently to the whole rake of twenty. I now eagerly await the arrival of their new stock as I had the last pack of five. Once the whole rake is fitted things should look pretty good to say the least.

Paul C.

DSCF8924.JPG

DSCF8921.JPG

DSCF8927.JPG

DSCF8930.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

1, 4, 5, 7 for me in the current poll Brian. The steel 5 in particular would be great on my southern area LNER mid to late 30s layout.

And in answer to your question last week to me things are mostly pretty good here in SA. I'm busy arranging our group's participation in our annual Adelaide Exhibition in two weeks time and also our annual BRMA Convention we're hosting here in Adelaide later in the year (deferred from 2020).

Andrew

But what about the MIce? You must control the MIce.

A.F. Eline.

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

A reminder that the 'Polling Station' for Mini-Poll No.2 will be closing at 1700 tomorrow, Thursday 27 May (with Results planned for Friday).

If you haven't yet voted, here’s what to do…

1. You may choose the Gresley Steel Panel 5-sets, then a maximum of three Gresley catering items and two Thompson catering.

2. You cannot ‘transfer votes’ to have five Gresley and no Thompson etc. although you can vote for just the Steel Panel 5-sets, just Gresley catering or just Thompson catering.

3. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR.

4. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 1, 2, 4, 7, 9 – with comments and explanations following. Or you can vote to me direct via PM with the same 'numbers only' style.

1. Gresley Steel Panel 5-sets GN & GC (1935 & 1939-1942)

2. Gresley Buffet Car (Diag.167, as rebuilt 1958/9)

3. Gresley Cafeteria Car (RCAF, rebuilt from Diag.95 Third Sleeper 1954)

4. Gresley Restaurant Pantry Third (eg Diags.15, 112, 151 & 321 of 1925-1943)

5. Gresley Restaurant First & Open Third (eg Diag.10C RF & Diag.27A, 27C TO, 1928/9)

6. Gresley Triplet Articulated Restaurant Set (eg Diags.12, 13, 14, 1924)

7. Thompson FO/Kitchen Car/TO (eg Diags.351, 353, 350, 1947 & 1948)

8. Thompson Restaurant First & Open Third (eg Diag.354 & Diag. 350, 1949 & 1947)

9. Thompson Pressure Ventilated Stock Buffet Lounge Car (1947)

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Think that's mostly in the eastern states. Although there are some spots in SA

West of the Great Dividing Range at the moment - and hopefully that's where they'll stay. Not happy times for the folks out that way.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Results - 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.2: Gresley Steel Panel 5-sets Gresley & Thompson Catering

Hello everyone

Many thanks to the 12 voters who took part, but – it has to be noted – that figure is half that of those who voted for the relevant passenger stock in Mini-Poll No.1.

Does it indicate that catering has ‘half the potential’? Debate welcome on that!

Somewhat conversely, we had almost double the number of written comments – so much so that, rather than take up space here, I have put them in a PDF attached. As per Mini-Poll No.1, they are in order of receipt but slightly edited for consistency. You will have already read these, but I felt it useful to have them all in one place in context with the results

Although Clive suggested the Steel Panel Sets and Mr Duck ‘expressed an interest’, neither actually voted. Those two votes would have transposed the top two items (albeit marginally!). Although High Polling here, even with 8 votes, the Steel Panel stock would still have been in the Middle Polling segment of Mini-Poll No.1

The number of votes per item is shown in the left hand column.

High Polling

7          Gresley Restaurant First & Open Third (eg Diag.10C RF & Diag.27A, 27C TO, 1928/9)

6          Gresley Steel Panel 5-sets GN & GC (1935 & 1939-1942)

Middle Polling

5          Gresley Restaurant Pantry Third (eg Diags.15, 112, 151 & 321 of 1925-1943)

4          Gresley Buffet Car (Diag.167, as rebuilt 1958/9)

4          Thompson Restaurant First & Open Third (eg Diag.354 & Diag. 350, 1949 & 1947)

Low Polling

3          Gresley Triplet Articulated Restaurant Set (eg Diags.12, 13, 14, 1924)

3          Thompson Pressure Ventilated Stock Buffet Lounge Car (1947)

2          Thompson FO/Kitchen Car/TO (eg Diags.351, 353, 350, 1947 & 1948)

1          Gresley Cafeteria Car (RCAF, rebuilt from Diag.95 Third Sleeper 1954)

Please note that the results reflect the views of those who voted here and may not necessarily reflect those of the wider modelling community. I might be able to show you more on that another day, so I have split them up as High, Middle and Low Polling to be in context with 00 Wishlist Polls of the past.

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from me in my ‘personal capacity’.)

Mini-Poll No.2 Comments Received.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, great northern said:

So to yesterday's new arrival. Tim has, over a period of time, been converting Hornby's pullmans into specific cars, some conversions being more compex than others. Car 106 was one of the complex ones, but will now complete the eleven car rake for the Yorkshire Pullman.

2057101039_pullman2.JPG.8668bb7189568d005165b1b1f1dca4c2.JPG

pullman.JPG.840967c26b79846fa2019f5fd3193ed0.JPG

There are some subtle differences to the two sides, but I will leave Tim to tell you about what needed to be done, and how he did it.

Gilbert,

It’s good to see Tim’s take on Car 106. Cars 105/6/7 were more or less identical and were ECML regulars throughout the 1950s. I think that at least one of them is essential for a true depiction of ECML Pullman services. They were quite different to the standard/Hornby style wooden cars. I chose to model the other two, cars 105 and 107. I hope you don’t mind me showing them on here to compare and contract with your Car 106.

7ADDBB54-F58E-4420-8F59-F99281AD1AFF.jpeg.3507fd6d950dc76e0a9c98ecf9f9862c.jpeg

Car 107 was my first attempt at creating a non standard Pullman and as I didn’t want to cut into a super detail vesionI used the Railroad version. This was less work on the sides as these three wooden cars were more similar to the later steel cars in window arrangements. However there was much more work on the roof and underframe.

ECF994A9-940A-4D2C-9D21-A2E1BC73A92B.jpeg.86916c0102bd0224ff4744898a0f5a4b.jpeg

Having gained confidence with the Railroad Pullmans, I tackled Car 105 from a couple of Hornby wooden super detail cars. This would be my recommended route should anyone else fancy taking on the challenge.

Both were finished of with the excellent Precision labels from John Peck which helps hide the joins on the Umber portion. 

My execution is not up to Tim’s standards but they were an enjoyable build and I’m pleased with the results as layout coaches. I think this makes a good cut ‘n’ shut project for someone new to the idea.

Regards

Andy

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3