Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Andy

That would require an OK from Gilbert.

If it was agreed, I have to say that the subject is not my area of knowledge and it would be up to others to provide me with 'the raw data' from which I could construct a Mini-Poll in context with the others.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Of course it’s upto Gilbert and these coaches are a bit early for his period. If we do go ahead I can provide some background but my expertise  is limited to the south end of the GNML. Others on here have more knowledge than me.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hello Andy

I forgot to say that the current Mini-Polls have items that do have (or might have had) some connection with Peterborough North.

But that's not to say that future possibilities can't explore wider territory.

Brian

PS: PM sent just now

Edited by BMacdermott
To advise PM sent.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Andy

That would require an OK from Gilbert.

If it was agreed, I have to say that the subject is not my area of knowledge and it would be up to others to provide me with 'the raw data' from which I could construct a Mini-Poll in context with the others.

Brian

I think this is where pragmatism comes in. In general terms manufacturers are going to look for things that were around for a long time, unless they are "iconic", dreadfully overused though that word is nowadays. Dry side modellers already struggle because, unlike the LMS and G*R in particular, there was far less standardisation. I'm convinced that we only got A2/2s and A2/3s, let alone the W1, solely because there wasn't much else big, green and named which hadn't already been done.

I really can't imagine much pre grouping stock causing excitement among the manufacturers frankly. I'd like some more, but from what information I can find most of it disappeared by the mid 50s, so I just miss out on it. We might make a case for end door Gresleys, or even "iconic" streamlined stock, but, for example, pre grouping non corridor stock I just can't see happening.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

I have realised that there is now only one more image PGS. That's pre Graham's signals, by the way. I will get it out of the way, so that later this evening you can start to enjoy the much improved vista at the north end.

I knew we were getting close when I saw 64B's finest roll into Plat.6 ('cos it was there the day I visited). Looking forward to seeing the new images...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, great northern said:

As Graham predicted, our shiny A3 now leaves, and passes two lovely new signals.

1189277524_190leaving.JPG.8539b3638bfed2595b2891f9b0caf902.JPG

I struggled to get the lighting right on this, for some reason, bu there are more to come.

That is one of the best shots I have seen for some time. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, great northern said:

The other side of 60090, with only one new signal to admire this time.

1587328858_290leaving2.JPG.8dd9eb25d2508a59524dcf715465f0c9.JPG

You can tell it's newly-installed - the S&T have adjusted the tensioning on the wire to make sure that it's well and truly  pulled 'off'.

The real thing would probably lose that tension over time and the arm gradually become 'lazy'. That's unlikely to happen on the model. One worries about such things ...

'Tis indeed a loverly image Gilbert. Thanks.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

You can tell it's newly-installed - the S&T have adjusted the tensioning on the wire to make sure that it's well and truly  pulled 'off'.

The real thing would probably lose that tension over time and the arm gradually become 'lazy'. That's unlikely to happen on the model. One worries about such things ...

'Tis indeed a loverly image Gilbert. Thanks.

Yes, I thought it was a little higher than when we adjusted it, but never mind, it can be looked at next time you are here. I don't think it is too irritating as it is though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Just an ‘appetiser’ for tomorrow’s Mini-Poll...

Nine of the 12 items are Opens. In a small addition to our usual ‘vote for any or all’ format, you will find items 13 and 14. These will be ‘focused choice’ selections for which you will need your thinking caps on!

I hope you will find it challenging and interesting. If it goes according to plan – famous last words! :)– it will add a ‘focused dimension’ to the results.

Brian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gilbert & everyone

Following on from Gilbert's suggestion of running some Mini-Polls concerning locos that have some relevance to Peterborough North, I am pleased to say that Chris Knowles-Thomas and I have created three such polls for you.

If Gilbert gives 'the green light', they will run on from the rolling stock polls as:

No.9: Freight Locos (predominantly)

No.10: Passenger Locos (predominantly) - Tank

No.11: Passenger Locos (predominantly) - Tender

Note that I say 'predominantly' - some in each will be mixed traffic but it would add too much complexity to split them up into 'exact categories'. And - let's face it - there are many occasions where freight locos worked passenger and vice versa.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All of the above with three exceptions: from my viewpoint, 1 is a bit too old, whilst 10 and 11 are  geographically improbable.

Focussed choices, 3 and 6.

Whatever ones prototype preferences, you can't have too many LMS 5-planks!

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello John

A query on focused choices...did you mean Item 2 LMS 9ft wb 5-plank?

Brian

Hi Brian,

No, I model the late-50s/early-60s, so the fitted ones are just more useful.

I went for the 9' wb SR ones purely because I've built enough of the ten-footers from the (now) very nice Cambrian kit. My SR 9-footers predate the upgraded kit for them and replacing those is more of a priority.

John 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Brian.

9' = 3. Multiples.

10' = 7 & 8. Multiples.

Single use plastic: 3 & 8. Multiples.

Because they are SR!!! (Apologies to those of a nervous nature).

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.5: More 4-wheel Wagons plus Opens

Hello everyone

Welcome to the fifth in our series of seven Mini-Polls concerning rolling stock that has at least some connection with Peterborough North. I am running them on behalf of Gilbert.

Responding to earlier discussions, you now have a number of ‘Opens’ to choose from, split up as 9ft and 10ft wheelbase. Although the SNCF type was technically a Mineral Wagon, they were often used as Opens.

There are no doubt hundreds of different ‘Open’ vehicles that would have been seen at Peterborough North over the years, but our Mini-Polls can only capture a small number. The BR High Goods, for example, was a ‘run on’ from the GWR design and eventually spanned 21 BR diagrams! It is often impossible to be ‘deadly precise’ with a 1-line descriptor, so we take the view that ‘if it looks like a 5-plank Open, it probably is a 5-plank Open’. Recent past experience is showing that makers are ‘tooling up’ to make as many variants as they can for any new model.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of items 1 to 12 plus responses to 13 and 14 (if you wish)

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 12 – with comments and explanations following.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

9ft wheelbase Opens

1. GWR 9ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diagrams between O3 & O11 from 1904)

2. LMS 9ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1666 of 1923)

3. SR 9ft wb 8-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1379 of 1926)

4. BR 9ft wb Open/Mineral Wagon – SNCF type, 16-ton (Diag.1/112, repatriated 1950)

10ft wheelbase Opens

5. GWR 10ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diag.O31 etc from 1932)

6. LMS 10ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diags.1892 & 2110 of 1934 & 1946)

7. SR 10ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1375 of 1940)

8. SR 10ft wb 8-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1400 of 1936)

9. BR 10ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (GWR Diag.O31, from 1932 with 21 various BR diagrams)

Other Wagons

10. BR Cement Wagon – Prestwin Twin Silo (Diag.1/277 of 1960)

11. BR Hopper Wagon – Coal 13-ton (Diag.1/142 of 1949 on)

12. BR Pallet Van – Palvan (Diag.1/211 of 1952)

A Focused Choice!

13. If there was only enough plastic in the world to make just one of the 9ft wheelbase wagons, which one would you choose? 1, 2, 3 or 4?

14. If there was only enough plastic in the world to make just one of the 10ft wheelbase wagons, which one would you choose? 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9?

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Thursday 17 June. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Friday 18 June.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from me in my ‘personal capacity’.)

Hi Brian

Were BR opens wagons a follow on from the GWR design?  The GWR wagons were 5 1/2 plank quite distinctive. The BR wagons were five plank, most had corrugated steel sheeting on their ends as per the LMS general merchandise wagons. There were some BR opens without the steel ends, owing to a steel shortage when built. many of these, along with LMS all planked wartime built opens and some GWR ones had their lower two planks replaced with steel channel to prevent damage to the wagons when shunted roughly.

Have you missed out the LNER 6 plank wagons? I know Oxford do the unfitted 9 ft wheelbase wooden underframe version but there were many built on 10 ft, both wooden and steel, underframes and unfitted and fitted.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Brian

Were BR opens wagons a follow on from the GWR design?  The GWR wagons were 5 1/2 plank quite distinctive. The BR wagons were five plank, most had corrugated steel sheeting on their ends as per the LMS general merchandise wagons. There were some BR opens without the steel ends, owing to a steel shortage when built. many of these, along with LMS all planked wartime built opens and some GWR ones had their lower two planks replaced with steel channel to prevent damage to the wagons when shunted roughly.

Have you missed out the LNER 6 plank wagons? I know Oxford do the unfitted 9 ft wheelbase wooden underframe version but there were many built on 10 ft, both wooden and steel, underframes and unfitted and fitted.

Now. Having the steel-channel end mods available in r-t-r wagons or as alternative ends in kits would be a great boon to those of us whose interests commence from the mid-fifties.

I've attempted to do-it-myself with no success whatever, and created nothing worthwhile but a couple of spare underframes!

LNER 6-plank, 10' wb fitted, on timber frames? See attached. Cambrian body, Parkside underframe. Brake levers will go on after painting.

John

P1060021c.JPG

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1