Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Final Call for Votes - 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.5 REVISED: More 4-wheel Wagons plus Opens

Hello everyone

A reminder that your ‘Polling Station’ closes at 1700 today. And that Mr Duck voted in the original but has yet to re-submit in the Revised Version.

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus responses to 13 and 14 (if you wish)

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 12 – with comments and explanations following.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

9ft wheelbase Opens

1 GWR 9ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diagrams between O3 & O11 from 1904)

2 LMS 9ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1666 of 1923)

3 SR 9ft wb 8-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1379 of 1926)

4 BR 9ft wb Open/Mineral Wagon – SNCF type, 16-ton (Diag.1/112, repatriated 1950)

10ft wheelbase Opens

5 GWR 10ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diag.O31 etc from 1932)

6 LMS 10ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diags.1892 & 2110 of 1934 & 1946)

7 SR 10ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1375 of 1940)

8 SR 10ft wb 8-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1400 of 1936)

9 BR 10ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (GWR Diag.O31, from 1932 with 21 various BR diagrams)

10 LNER 10ft wb 6-plank Open Wagon (from c.1932)

Other Wagons

11 BR Hopper Wagon – Coal 13-ton (Diag.1/142 of 1949 on)

12 BR Pallet Van – Palvan (Diag.1/211 of 1952)

A Focused Choice!

13 If there was only enough plastic in the world to make just one of the 9ft wheelbase wagons, which one would you choose? 1, 2, 3 or 4?

14 If there was only enough plastic in the world to make just one of the 10ft wheelbase wagons, which one would you choose? 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9?

Brian

• RMweb Gold

1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7,11

Speaking for myself I do enjoy building kits of wagons. I would be reluctant to buy a ready made 4 for example as the available kit is excellent and even with extras like Lanarkshire buffers, will be far cheaper than some rtr manufacturers.

Best wishes,

Alastair

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Results - 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.5 Revised: More 4-wheel Wagons plus Opens

Many thanks to the 16 voters who took part and to Clive for alerting me to the omission of the LNER 10ft wheelbase Open in the original posting. The number of votes to each item is shown in the left hand column and Comments Received are appended on a PDF as usual.

Please note that the results reflect the views of those who voted here and may not necessarily reflect those of the wider modelling community.

The results are very clear! Interesting that all bar two of us voted for the LMS 9ft wb 5-plank Open and that the Low Polling segment is all BR wagons!

High Polling

14        LMS 9ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1666 of 1923)

12        LMS 10ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diags.1892 & 2110 of 1934 & 1946)

12        LNER 10ft wb 6-plank Open Wagon (from c.1932)

Middle Polling

10        GWR 9ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diagrams between O3 & O11 from 1904)

10        SR 9ft wb 8-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1379 of 1926)

9          GWR 10ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diag.O31 etc from 1932)

9          SR 10ft wb 8-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1400 of 1936)

8          SR 10ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1375 of 1940)

Low Polling

7          BR 10ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (GWR Diag.O31, from 1932 with 21 various BR diagrams)

6          BR 9ft wb Open/Mineral Wagon – SNCF type, 16-ton (Diag.1/112, repatriated 1950)

4          BR Hopper Wagon – Coal 13-ton (Diag.1/142 of 1949 on)

4          BR Pallet Van – Palvan (Diag.1/211 of 1952)

13. If there was only enough plastic in the world to make just one of the 9ft wheelbase wagons, your choice would be:

7          LMS 9ft wb 5-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1666 of 1923)

The other three vehicles listed here polled just two votes each.

14. If there was only enough plastic in the world to make just one of the 10ft wheelbase wagons, your choice would be:

5          SR 10ft wb 8-plank Open Wagon (Diag.1400 of 1936)

5          LNER 10ft wb 6-plank Open Wagon (from c.1932)

Of the other four vehicles listed here none polled more than two votes.

I’ll be back on Monday with 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.6: Container Wagons & Containers.

Brian

Mini-Poll No.5 Comments Received.pdf

• Thanks 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Please disregard Comment No.40 in the Comments Received. It was accidentally placed here whereas it  should have gone into GWR Mini-Poll No.1 that Rob has mentioned.

Brian

Grief Brian, there will be some LNER/ER folk that will still be in shock having read about a GWR item.......:scared:some of them have a genuine fear of shiny Brass as well.

A. Quack.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.6: Container Wagons & Containers

Hello everyone

Welcome to the sixth in our series of eight Mini-Polls concerning rolling stock that has at least some connection with Peterborough North – although I have to admit that one or two here would almost certainly not have been! I have listed them for ‘completeness’. I am running the Mini-Polls on behalf of Gilbert.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses as it is often impossible to be ‘deadly precise’ with a 1-line descriptor. We take the view that ‘if it looks like a Container Wagon, it probably is a Container Wagon or a member of the same family’. Recent past experience is showing that makers are ‘tooling up’ to make as many variants as they can for any new model.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1 You may vote for any or all of the 11 items listed plus a response to 12 (if you wish)

2 They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 10 – with comments and explanations following.

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Container Wagons

1   GWR Container Wagon – Conflat A (Diag.H10 of 1944)

2   SR Container Wagon – 9ft & 10ft wheelbase (Diags.1382 & 1399 of 1931/1938)

3   SR Container Wagon – 18ft 7in wheelbase (Diag.1383 of 1931)

4   LMS Container Wagon – Chassis (numerous diagrams)

5   LNER Container Wagon – Conflat S (Diag.104)

6   BR Container Wagon – Conflat P ‘Condor’ (Diag.1/060 of 1959)

Container Wagons with ‘Dedicated’ Containers

7   BR Conflat B Wagon & AFP Container (Diag.1/461 & Diag.3/256 of 1958)

8   BR Conflat L Wagon & L Containers (Diag.1/068 of 1951 on)

Containers (only)

9   Containers – Big Four types – GWR, SR, LMS & LNER

10 Containers – BR types – A, AF, BM & FM Fresh & Frozen Meat, etc

11 Containers – BR Speedfreight (Diag.3/006 etc from 1961)

Your Focused Choices of Containers (only)

12  Looking at Items 9, 10 and 11 above, please specifically mention any of the numerous types within those ranges that you feel are ‘crying out to be made’ (with reasons if possible).

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Thursday 24 June. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Friday 25 June.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from me in my ‘personal capacity’.)

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Container Wagons (or Chassis) have greater variations on a theme than may at first be imagined. They give the opportunity to run empty, of course – where the chassis or woodwork can be seen – or with a broad range of container loads and, in the case of the SR versions, small cars even.

‘Stylistically’ – and at ‘normal’ layout viewing distance – there’s not much to choose between the GWR, SR 9ft/10ft and the LNER wagons, but the SR 18ft 7in is ‘a bit different’ and enables a small car load – what where then called ‘invalid carriages’. These were small 3-wheeled cars made by AC Cars of Thames Ditton for a long-running government contract. However, they were also used for other new car traffic and labelled as ‘Return to Morris Cowley’ or ‘Bathgate ScR’.

Such cars could also be seen on the short versions but, on the long versions, the containers had to be ‘roped on’ as opposed to ‘chained’.

The other two that stand out are the LMS ‘chassis’ – where you can see ‘the gubbins’ as opposed to a wooden floor – and the Conflat L with its box-like Containers (a model of which was made back in Tri-ang days).

So…

My choices are: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 & 10.

My ‘focused choices’ of Containers (only) are:

BM & FM Fresh & Frozen Meat Containers. (Note that I am fully aware that a kit exists! But this poll is for RTR.)

As something of an addendum to that, I would very much like to see someone make ‘affordable’ Container Securing Chains!

Brian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.6: Container Wagons & Containers

Hello everyone

Welcome to the sixth in our series of eight Mini-Polls concerning rolling stock that has at least some connection with Peterborough North – although I have to admit that one or two here would almost certainly not have been! I have listed them for ‘completeness’. I am running the Mini-Polls on behalf of Gilbert.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses as it is often impossible to be ‘deadly precise’ with a 1-line descriptor. We take the view that ‘if it looks like a Container Wagon, it probably is a Container Wagon or a member of the same family’. Recent past experience is showing that makers are ‘tooling up’ to make as many variants as they can for any new model.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1 You may vote for any or all of the 11 items listed plus a response to 12 (if you wish)

2 They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 10 – with comments and explanations following.

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Container Wagons

1   GWR Container Wagon – Conflat A (Diag.H10 of 1944)

2   SR Container Wagon – 9ft & 10ft wheelbase (Diags.1382 & 1399 of 1931/1938)

3   SR Container Wagon – 18ft 7in wheelbase (Diag.1383 of 1931)

4   LMS Container Wagon – Chassis (numerous diagrams)

5   LNER Container Wagon – Conflat S (Diag.104)

6   BR Container Wagon – Conflat P ‘Condor’ (Diag.1/060 of 1959)

Container Wagons with ‘Dedicated’ Containers

7   BR Conflat B Wagon & AFP Container (Diag.1/461 & Diag.3/256 of 1958)

8   BR Conflat L Wagon & L Containers (Diag.1/068 of 1951 on)

Containers (only)

9   Containers – Big Four types – GWR, SR, LMS & LNER

10 Containers – BR types – A, AF, BM & FM Fresh & Frozen Meat, etc

11 Containers – BR Speedfreight (Diag.3/006 etc from 1961)

Your Focused Choices of Containers (only)

12  Looking at Items 9, 10 and 11 above, please specifically mention any of the numerous types within those ranges that you feel are ‘crying out to be made’ (with reasons if possible).

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Thursday 24 June. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Friday 25 June.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from me in my ‘personal capacity’.)

• RMweb Gold

Hello John

Indeed, Bachmann have made those types. I started at etc to 'give an indication' of what we are looking for in replies.

Replica has a B of some description - but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Can anyone comment?

While writing, I forgot to say that I am aware of the later Bulkrane types,  but omitted them to keep matters more in context for Peterborough North.

Brian

Re: Containers and Wagons.

4,5, and 9 please.

4 because LMS container flats are quite hard  for me to model properly, since they are little more than an underframe.

5 because despite the Parkside Kit for the Conflat S, they are tricky to make and even trickier to letter properly.

9 because I've been promising to make an LNER BL steel container for ages, but it keeps being deferred in my project list.

12 - 9 Type BL, for reasons described above

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello drmditch

Thanks for the votes.

Forgive my ignorance of LNER matters but - and this is part of the 'learning opportunities' that these Mini-Polls present - is your 9 Type BL the same as the BLP shown on page 74 of LNER Wagons by Peter Tatlow?

Brian