Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sorry Brian, this damn site keeps not letting me send stuff then I cut ready to paste a new post and the post then seems to appear; nothing to do with me being dim of course.

OK I'll try again:

2,3 & 10

10 = Fresh meat Type; (no idea what Diagram that would be...sorry)

I hope this is visible but next time I'll try harder first time.

ATB

Duck

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Container Poll: My choices, 2,3,4,7,8,9,10.

Incidentally, Bachmann have done A and AF type containers (not sure if they are current, though).

Thanks

John

John.... suitable for the meat for London from down that North Devon and Cornwall place? I went for 2 & 3 + 10 Fresh meat type. I already have a few BR ones and the suitable loco's, as you know!!

Incidentally the SJ Platform Bridge went mid last year as it isn't on Google Earth (revised recently) any more.

ATB Phil (SOSJ)

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

My vote is for 1, 2, 4, 5.

I don't know much about container types currently, so will leave that to those who do.

Cheers, Alastair

Hello Alistair

Not wishing to 'influence' voters, but someone else wanted a list of containers with details - see PDF attached iif you so wish.

Brian

Containers.pdf

51 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello drmditch

Thanks for the votes.

Forgive my ignorance of LNER matters but - and this is part of the 'learning opportunities' that these Mini-Polls present - is your 9 Type BL the same as the BLP shown on page 74 of LNER Wagons by Peter Tatlow?

Brian

Yes - and no!

In the 'original' single volume of Mr Tatlow's LNER Wagons my chosen type is indeed the upper picture on page 74 - Plate 152. This is Type BL.

Plate 153 (the centre picture) is the vertically ribbed Type BLP.

Like many LNER modellers, my standard references are now the later five volumes of Mr Tatlow's history.

Volume 4b pages 190 et seq. discuss steel containers in more detail.

Since the likelihood of seeing one of these containers presumably reflects the number produced, here are the quantities from page 191

Type BL   - Dia 7  - Built 175

Tyoe BLS - Dia 8  - Built   25  (externally similar to BL some with internal shelves.)

Type BSS - Dia 9  - Built   30  (strengthened for vertical stacking and intended for use on shipping services)

Type BLC   Dia 11  Built 190  (ventilated and vertical ribbing)

Type BLP   Dia 12 (Built   30  (similar to Type BLC but reduced in height by 4".)

I do have some materials allocated for building a BL - but the rivet detail will be tricky! - so if anyone makes one RTR I would be quite pleased!

(Sorry, a quick search doesn't reveal any WWW accessible  pictures.)

Edited by drmditch
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello John

Indeed, Bachmann have made those types. I started at etc to 'give an indication' of what we are looking for in replies.

Replica has a B of some description - but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Can anyone comment?

While writing, I forgot to say that I am aware of the later Bulkrane types,  but omitted them to keep matters more in context for Peterborough North.

Brian

Hi Brian,

My Replica container seems to have gone walkabout, but IIRC it's a style predating BR. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to tell if it's a company design or one built for Private Owners. EDIT: photo from their website attached.

Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol also do B containers with their Conflats, the latter two being similar to one another, but different to Bachmann's. I'm fairly certain that they (and the accompanying wagons) had their origins in the Airfix-GMR range of yore. 

John

shirer.jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.6: Container Wagons & Containers

Rats. The container wagon I want is the one that's not in your list - the Conflat ISO.

These were converted Lowmacs, fitted with a frame to support a single 20ft ISO container when these were still a tiny minority of container traffic, that "surely won't catch on".

Edited by Bloodnok
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bloodnok said:

Rats. The container wagon I want is the one that's not in your list - the Conflat ISO.

These were converted Lowmacs, fitted with a frame to support a single 20ft ISO container when these were still a tiny minority of container traffic, that "surely won't catch on".

Hello Bloodnok

I'm putting that in the Comments Received for you.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great northern said:

I don't have many containers, and I suspect there should be rather more, so 2 3 4 5 6 8 9 and 10 might all help.

Focused choice would be 9 and 10, which might allow me to run the Aberdeen meat/empties.

Hello Gilbert

Just checking...You voted for No.6, the Condor Conflat P - is that correct for you?

Brian

6 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.6: Container Wagons & Containers

Hello everyone

Welcome to the sixth in our series of eight Mini-Polls concerning rolling stock that has at least some connection with Peterborough North – although I have to admit that one or two here would almost certainly not have been! I have listed them for ‘completeness’. I am running the Mini-Polls on behalf of Gilbert.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses as it is often impossible to be ‘deadly precise’ with a 1-line descriptor. We take the view that ‘if it looks like a Container Wagon, it probably is a Container Wagon or a member of the same family’. Recent past experience is showing that makers are ‘tooling up’ to make as many variants as they can for any new model.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1 You may vote for any or all of the 11 items listed plus a response to 12 (if you wish)

2 They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 10 – with comments and explanations following.

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Container Wagons

1   GWR Container Wagon – Conflat A (Diag.H10 of 1944)

2   SR Container Wagon – 9ft & 10ft wheelbase (Diags.1382 & 1399 of 1931/1938)

3   SR Container Wagon – 18ft 7in wheelbase (Diag.1383 of 1931)

4   LMS Container Wagon – Chassis (numerous diagrams)

5   LNER Container Wagon – Conflat S (Diag.104)

6   BR Container Wagon – Conflat P ‘Condor’ (Diag.1/060 of 1959)

Container Wagons with ‘Dedicated’ Containers

7   BR Conflat B Wagon & AFP Container (Diag.1/461 & Diag.3/256 of 1958)

8   BR Conflat L Wagon & L Containers (Diag.1/068 of 1951 on)

Containers (only)

9   Containers – Big Four types – GWR, SR, LMS & LNER

10 Containers – BR types – A, AF, BM & FM Fresh & Frozen Meat, etc

11 Containers – BR Speedfreight (Diag.3/006 etc from 1961)

Your Focused Choices of Containers (only)

12  Looking at Items 9, 10 and 11 above, please specifically mention any of the numerous types within those ranges that you feel are ‘crying out to be made’ (with reasons if possible).

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Thursday 24 June. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Friday 25 June.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from me in my ‘personal capacity’.)

I'm a 'liner train man.
My choices 1 through 11.
I'm happy to go with any type of container.
Regards,
Chris.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Gilbert

Just checking...You voted for No.6, the Condor Conflat P - is that correct for you?

Brian

No, it isn't. Please delete, and thanks for the message. I really should pay more attention to things.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Brian,

I don’t know enough about containers to make a very informed choice here. I have several Bachmann Conflat A’s and both A and B type containers. I also have some Graeme King resin kits for LNER refrigerated containers and conflats when I can find the time. But not nearly enough, so I might go for anything I could get away with to provide some variety, but the priorities for me would be the ex LNER conflats and, like Gilbert, some containers to make up the Aberdeen meat empties. So to keep it simple I’ll vote for 5 and 10 (fresh and frozen meat containers only - BM and FM). I presume these would sit on Conflat A’s? Focussed choice FM.

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

So to keep it simple I’ll vote for 5 and 10 (fresh and frozen meat containers only - BM and FM). I presume these would sit on Conflat A’s? Focused choice FM.

Andy

Hello Andy

A picture on page 47 of Don Rowland’s book, Twilight of the Goods, shows a BM sitting on a BR Conflat A.

I posted a PDF about Containers a few posts back. If you want to look at that and - possibly - revise your votes, I will be happy to take them.

Brian

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

The signals look good in that one, Gilbert - thanks! Everything nice n square and true :imsohappy:

As it happens. I was just thinking that at last I don't have to tilt images about so that most signals look nearly square, instead of getting one right, and finding the rest at crazy angles. There isn't as much cash in the swear box now, either.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I meant to post tis but have only just found it. Lazer cut thingy; don't know the Diagram. 4mm and not bad looking. I did the Canvas Roof from Masking Tape.

image.png.9b81a859f7fc3a6344bc7b95d563fe76.png

I think it is a hung/cold meat one for the Stuff from Barnstaple?

P

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Phil

It is a BM type. Fresh Meat.

Brian

possibly

Thanks B. It is produced by a little shop near to the Exeter Barnstaple Line, possibly because of the Abattoir at Barnstaple and memories down there of those Cont's? About a Fiver I think it was; I got two or three and they were OK; not fantastic but passable. Not painted mine yet.

Are they available RTR?

Phil

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks B. It is produced by a little shop near to the Exeter Barnstaple Line, possibly because of the Abattoir at Barnstaple and memories down there of those Cont's? About a Fiver I think it was; I got two or three and they were OK; not fantastic but passable. Not painted mine yet.

Are they available RTR?

Phil

Hello Phil

Not available RTR yet as far as I know. But they ought to be!

Brian

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I'm a 'liner train man.
My choices 1 through 11.
I'm happy to go with any type of container.
Regards,
Chris.

I did wonder if Accurscale or KR might produce the Condor container wagons.
The Consett hoppers are super niche and, I think , will sell. Same for the Condor container wagons.

• Like 1