Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

I am voting for four items in this Mini-Poll:

* Ballast Plough Brake Van – the LNER van had the ploughs ‘inside’ the wheelbase;

* Dolphin and Sturgeon – because they are ‘distinctive’, useful and can be run loaded or empty;

* Breakdown Crane – on the basis that it was one of this type that was allocated to New England (according to the Peter Tatlow wagons book).

Does anyone know how far south – if ever – the crane might have ventured?

Not LNER per se, but I guess Mr Duck will be with me in putting the SR Walrus Ballast Wagon as an item I would like to see made!

Does anyone know if they got to Peterborough? Or did ballast for the area come from elsewhere?

Brian

Hi Brian. I have no evidence of the SR ballast Bogies moving on the ECML. They did get around outer London a bit simply because of access to routes in that area. I don't investigate ER workings that much so I could be totally wrong.

Also the Cambrian Model is actually relatively inexpensive and quite simple to make into a good

looking piece of stock. There are also several versions and different Bogies are available as spare items. O knw some would love to have RTR but it would be a bit niche to the South and West I think?

20201106_121634.jpg.5affc35c2107942115a920be486de652.jpg

I use Dave Franks' Buffers on most of mine.

P

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

1. You may vote for any or all of the 10 items listed plus a response to item 11 (if you so wish)

From the ten items listed, 1, 2, 3, and 4 please.

11 Other Departmental Stock you would like to see made.

Please give an indication as succinctly as possible of anything not listed above that you would like to see made.

I'd like to see a Dogfish. This could be done as a variation on the catfish in the poll, or as another production run of the Heljan model (which I'm happy with the quality of, but is not currently available).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

From the ten items listed, 1, 2, 3, and 4 please.

I'd like to see a Dogfish. This could be done as a variation on the catfish in the poll, or as another production run of the Heljan model (which I'm happy with the quality of, but is not currently available).

Yup, I'd agree that a 60s version of the Dogfish from Heljan might be a worthwhile production.

P

• Like 1

From the items listed, 9,10, 2 and 1.  For a departmental item - and assuming the Oxford Rail crane comes to fruition - a match truck such as the code 136 vehicle reproduced as a drawing in Tatlow's LNER Wagons vol 4A (maybe a 3D printed project for someone?).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

For this Poll, I shall vote for 9 and 10 as being the ones most likely to be useful on my layout.  I already have some kit built ones, but would buy more if available RTR.

I don't find Departmental wagons ever see much use on my layout for some reason, although I do have a few.  If I were to suggest a couple which I would like to see made that haven't been listed, I would go for the following:

LNER Ballast Brake Van.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerballastbrake

I would buy one of these long lived vans; I remember seeing them in use well into the 1980s.

And also the LNER 4 Wheeled Sleeper Wagon; the kind that looks like an oversized ordinary goods wagon.  To the best of my knowledge there has never been a kit available for these, and they intrigue me as I think I've read that they were painted grey like ordinary 'traffic' wagons rather than the LNER's 'Engineers blue'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.8: Departmental Stock

Hello everyone

Welcome to the final Mini-Poll concerning rolling stock that has at least some connection with Peterborough North. I am running the Mini-Polls on behalf of Gilbert. We will move to the first of three PN Loco Mini-Polls on Sunday – one day earlier than normal timetable – details later.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses as it is often impossible to be ‘deadly precise’ with a 1-line descriptor. We take the view that ‘if it looks like a Ballast Wagon, it probably is a Ballast Wagon or a member of the same family’. Recent past experience is showing that makers are ‘tooling up’ to make as many variants as they can for any new model.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the 10 items listed plus a response to item 11 (if you so wish)

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 10 – with comments and explanations following.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Ballast

1   Ballast Plough Brake Van – LNER (1926)

2   Ballast/Rail/Sleeper Wagon – LNER/BR Dolphin (Diag.99, BR Diag.1/639)

3   Ballast/Rail/Sleeper Wagon – BR Sturgeon (Diag.1/638 etc)

4   Ballast Wagon 4-wheel – BR Catfish (Diag.1/586)

Crane

5   Breakdown Crane – LNER – Cowans Sheldon 45-ton (1940)   

Inspection

6   Chief Engineer’s Saloon – LNER DE900580 (1936)

7   Dynamometer Car BR – DE320041, later DB999500 (1951)

8   Track Recorder – BR Matisa Neptune 4-wheel

Loco Coal

9   Loco Coal Wagon – LNER 4-wheel 21-ton – Wood (Diag.207)

10 Loco Coal Wagon – LNER 4-wheel 21-ton – Steel (Built 1935 & 1947)

Please give an indication as succinctly as possible of anything not listed above that you would like to see made.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Thursday 8 July. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Friday 9 July.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from me in my ‘personal capacity’.)

3, 4 &7.
11, would be my line LMS, Ballast hoppers and the later Stanier Dynamometer car.

• Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

I'm going for 1, 6, and 9 as the most useful to me, I would like to see more 'Trout' hopper's, I know Hornby make them but they are like Hens teeth, so either a reintroduction or a Kit.

manna

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ll go for 1,6,7 and 10. For number 11, I agree with Manna, more Trouts please Hornby.

My reasoning on the others, is that 1 would make a change from sharks, I already have a Sturgeon (Cambrian) and Dolphin (Genesis?) in my engineers train, and no real need for more. The Catfish were mainly MR unless I’m mistaken. 5 is quite specific to PN, so not really for me. 6 and 7 would make good novelty vehicles. I don’t really know what 8 is or where I’d use it, so will pass on that. I have a couple of kit built wooden loco coal wagons but no steel ones so that (10) would make a change.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy

I have just looked at one of the David Larkin books and it does seem that most Catfish were on the LMR - which I wasn't aware of.

However, if had a run a Departmental Mini-Poll without a single Ballast Wagon per se, I would have drawn adverse comment, I'm sure. It is partly for that reason - and that the list had reached 'maximum permitted load' - that I asked for 'suggestions' at Item 11.

I was going to list the Trout, but didn't as it is already made. Agreed that it now seems to be a rare item!

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hello again Andy

I don't usually add data to my Mini-Poll lists, preferring voters to undertake their own research into items they are unaware of. But - just for you - details from The Guide to The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019.

Brian

BR Track Recorder 4-wheel – Matisa Neptune

Built between 1957 and 1967, BR operated 13 of these small self-propelled track recording vehicles to measure track geometry. They were withdrawn around 1987 as modern replacements arrived.

Link http://www.hondawanderer.com/DR50006_Chinley_1984.htm

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello again Andy

I don't usually add data to my Mini-Poll lists, preferring voters to undertake their own research into items they are unaware of. But - just for you - details from The Guide to The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019.

Brian

Built between 1957 and 1967, BR operated 13 of these small self-propelled track recording vehicles to measure track geometry. They were withdrawn around 1987 as modern replacements arrived.

Yea; what a great item. Yellow Perils we used to call them down Plymuff. That one looks very smart though; IIRC the ones we saw were usually knackered.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy

I have just looked at one of the David Larkin books and it does seem that most Catfish were on the LMR - which I wasn't aware of.

However, if had a run a Departmental Mini-Poll without a single Ballast Wagon per se, I would have drawn adverse comment, I'm sure. It is partly for that reason - and that the list had reached 'maximum permitted load' - that I asked for 'suggestions' at Item 11.

I was going to list the Trout, but didn't as it is already made. Agreed that it now seems to be a rare item!

Brian

Catfish may have strayed onto PN metals due to the proximity of the 'other' route(s)? 

P

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello again Andy

Brian

Thanks Brian- I feel privileged, I did google it before posting but didn’t recognise it, so decided that as I didn’t know I was missing one, I probably wouldn’t buy one!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Thanks Andy

Brian

I think Catfish may well have got across to PN as I think there were ballast quarries around Nuneaton which may have served the area. Not really my area of expertise though. I have one dogfish built from the Cambrian kit. I keep bidding on Hornby ones but give up when the price gets silly!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Final Call for Votes - 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.8: Departmental Stock

Hello everyone

Your 'Polling Station' closes at 1700 today with Results expected tomorrow, Friday 9 July.

If  you haven't already voted, here’s what to do…

1 You may vote for any or all of the 10 items listed plus a response to item 11 (if you so wish)

2 They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 10 – with comments and explanations following.

4If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Ballast

1   Ballast Plough Brake Van – LNER (1926)

2   Ballast/Rail/Sleeper Wagon – LNER/BR Dolphin (Diag.99, BR Diag.1/639)

3   Ballast/Rail/Sleeper Wagon – BR Sturgeon (Diag.1/638 etc)

4   Ballast Wagon 4-wheel – BR Catfish (Diag.1/586)

Crane

5   Breakdown Crane – LNER – Cowans Sheldon 45-ton (1940)   

Inspection

6   Chief Engineer’s Saloon – LNER DE900580 (1936)

7   Dynamometer Car BR – DE320041, later DB999500 (1951)

8   Track Recorder – BR Matisa Neptune 4-wheel

Loco Coal

9   Loco Coal Wagon – LNER 4-wheel 21-ton – Wood (Diag.207)

10 Loco Coal Wagon – LNER 4-wheel 21-ton – Steel (Built 1935 & 1947)

• Like 1