Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Plenty for me here. 1.2.3.4.7.8.9.10 would all be in the frame.

J52s were a fixture at PN for a very long time, though I think the last one went in 1957. Nevertheless, I would stretch my time frame a little to include one, partly because the first kit I ever built, nearly 50 years ago, was a Bec J52. I asked for it to be weathered too, which amazed everyone at Millholme Models.

J69. Only two at PN, and I suspect mainly worked in New England yards, but I love them, and remember them so well at Lincoln and Boston. They are a minefield though, as evidenced by the fact that the one photo of a PN engine I have found show  it to have a lowered cab roof and stovepipe chimney. It had been in Scotland at some stage of its life.

J6. I have three, but I can find room for more. An essential GN 0.6.0. I'm sure it topped the LNER list on the main poll some years back, but the manufacturers took no notice, and it has lost ground since.

J17. I have photos of them at PN, and really it should be the more 0.6.0s the better, given how many there were.

J39. Bachmann one is no longer an option, and they were seen at PN, though I've found very few photos.

8.9.10. At least one of the three, though I'm surprised that these are being classified as goods engines. Surely they were very much mixed traffic engines, even by the late 50s? Having said that, appearances on the GN at PN and further south do all seem to have been York engines on goods workings. Strangely, none would be reported for ages, then three would appear within a short time frame. B16/1 would be first choice.

I can't justify J19/20. I suspect if seen at all they would have passed by on the Midland lines. Nor can I think of anything not on the list which would realistically have a chance of being produced RTR. The other GN J class 06.0s

would be nice, though outside my time frame, but they ain't going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, great northern said:

8.9.10. At least one of the three, though I'm surprised that these are being classified as goods engines. Surely they were very much mixed traffic engines, even by the late 50s? Having said that, appearances on the GN at PN and further south do all seem to have been York engines on goods workings. Strangely, none would be reported for ages, then three would appear within a short time frame. B16/1 would be first choice.

Hello Gilbert 

I have ticked the Thx box and recorded your votes, but could you clarify which of the B16s please? Any or all?

We have listed them here as they are predominantly freight locos.  My opening paragraph to this Mini-Poll included the line: The title is Freight Types, but we appreciate that some were used on passenger too.

If we hadn't listed them here (total 12 locos) it would have overloaded the Passenger - Tender Mini-Poll later.

We may 'appear mad' but there is method in that madness (most of the time!).:)

Brian

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Gilbert 

I have ticked the Thx box and recorded your votes, but could you clarify which of the B16s please? Any or all?

We have listed them here as they are predominantly freight locos.  My opening paragraph to this Mini-Poll included the line: The title is Freight Types, but we appreciate that some were used on passenger too.

If we hadn't listed them here (total 12 locos) it would have overloaded the Passenger - Tender Mini-Poll later.

We may 'appear mad' but there is method in that madness (most of the time!).:)

Brian

I did say B16/1 as first choice Brian, but if any of the three turned up, I would buy one, as I doubt we will get all three variants.

I've given the J6 more thought. It will have suffered, as have so many LNER designs, from the fact that there was so little standardisation. However, look at where we are now.  GER, yes, J15. GCR, yes J11, NBR, yes, J36, NER, yes, J26/7. Which leaves the only large pre grouping "dry side" company unrepresented.... GNR. And what was the largest class of GNR classes of 0.6.0? That makes me more hopeful, given the number of manufacturers there now are, that one of them may give us a J6. Perhaps they just need a little push?

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 31A said:

Those would be my choice from the point of view of voting, but if 4, 5, 6, 9 or 10 became available I would buy one!

Hello Steve

Would you like 4, 5, 6, 9 and/or 10 logged as actual votes? 

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gilbert

Just been checking past 00 Wishlist Poll Results...

Back in 2009 - before your current Team started running it - the J6 was the second most wanted LNER category loco. It dropped way back in 2012 - the first year we ran the Poll.

Since 2013, it has been Middle Polling (albeit at the upper level of that segment) and became High Polling in the last Poll to run (2019).  It was 23rd in the list of 70 LNER locos that year. Overall it was equal position 83 out of about 800 items listed.

I have often raised the question of why this should be so! Or - maybe - it's one of those locos that no-one wants...until they see it!

Brian

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, great northern said:

However, look at where we are now.  GER, yes, J15. GCR, yes J11, NBR, yes, J36, NER, yes, J26/7. Which leaves the only large pre grouping "dry side" company unrepresented.... GNR. And what was the largest class of GNR classes of 0.6.0? That makes me more hopeful, given the number of manufacturers there now are, that one of them may give us a J6. Perhaps they just need a little push?

Hello Gilbert

As I have ticked the Thx box, I can't also press the 'Agree' button. This is to say that I do totally agree!

Brian

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Steve

Would you like 4, 5, 6, 9 and/or 10 logged as actual votes? 

Brian

Sorry Brian, didn't mean to be ambiguous!  No, I just meant to vote for 1, 2, 3, and 7.  Mustn't be greedy!

• Thanks 1

Hi Brian

Following up from your email today, my vote - for my Colchester layout -  would be:

0-6-0T

1   GER J67/J68/J69 albeit there are very strong indications a r-t-r J69 model will be out in the not too distant future; maybe even be two! Also happy with my CDC J68.

0-6-0

2   GER J17 (65500-65589) - the BEC kit is OK given its age, but I'd buy a couple if available r-t-r and probably the best GER 0-6-0 option for the r-t-r manufacturer, albeit with Hornby's  J15, not a strong possibility.

3   GER/LNER J19 (64640-64674) Colchester had a number allocated to the shed, and no doubt like others, I have a PDK kit in the drawer to make one of these days.

4   GER/LNER J20 (64675-64699) A nice to have, but with its very long wheelbase, not sure its for the r-t-r market.

5   LNER J39 (64700-64988) Bachmann model is ok, so I'd prefer not to repeat an existing model, albeit that seams to be the way of manufacturers these days!

4-6-0

6   LNER Thompson B2- I can't believe they didn't get to Peterborough. Colchester had an allocation of eight and although  I've a DMR kit to build, I'd buy a r-t-r model or two. Just a shame that both Hornby and Bachmann decided to compete with a B1.

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul

The B2 is coming up in PN Loco Mini-Poll No.3.

I can't speak with Chris at the moment as he is off-line for a while. But I will query if he knows of the B2 getting to Peterborough North. I had it as 'a doubtful' (along with a couple of others) but we decided to leave it in.

Can anyone confirm a B2 at PN?

Brian

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

PN 00 Loco Mini-Poll No.1: Freight Types

Hello everyone

Welcome to the first of three planned Mini-Polls concerning locos with a connection to Peterborough North. The title is Freight Types, but we appreciate that some were used on passenger too. It is simply to differentiate from the other two Mini-Polls (which are Passenger – Tank and Passenger – Tender). I am running the Mini-Polls on behalf of Gilbert, but with the kind assistance of Chris Knowles-Thomas.

It is often impossible to be ‘deadly precise’ with a 1-line descriptor as many classes were altered over the years. We take the view that ‘if it looks like a J52, it probably is a J52’. Recent past experience is showing that makers are ‘tooling up’ to make as many variants as they can for any new model.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1 You may vote for any or all of the 12 items listed plus a response to item 13 (if you so wish)

2 They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 10 – with comments and explanations following.

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

0-6-0T

1   GNR J52 (68757-68889)

2   GER J67/J68/J69 (68491-68666)

0-6-0

3   GNR J6 (64170-64279)

4   GER J17 (65500-65589)

5   GER/LNER J19 (64640-64674

6   GER/LNER J20 (64675-64699)

7   LNER J39 (64700-64988)

4-6-0

8   NER B16/1 (in range 61410-61478, but some are B16/2 or B16/3)   

9   NER/LNER B16/2 (in range 61435-61457, but some are B16/3 and most B16/1)

10 NER/LNER B16/3 (in range 61420-61468, but some are B16/2 and most B16/1)

2-8-0 & 2-8-2

11 GCR/LNER O4/8 (in range 63573-63915 with gaps)

12 LNER P1 Nos.2393 & 2394

13 Your suggestions of any locos with a 'PN connection' not listed above.

Please give the company, wheel arrangement and class number (as per the list above).

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until midnight on Wednesday 14 July. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Thursday 15 July.

We look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian & Chris

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from Chris and me in a ‘personal capacity’.)

My votes for this one are:

3 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Thanks Paul

The B2 is coming up in PN Loco Mini-Poll No.3.

I can't speak with Chris at the moment as he is off-line for a while. But I will query if he knows of the B2 getting to Peterborough North. I had it as 'a doubtful' (along with a couple of others) but we decided to leave it in.

Can anyone confirm a B2 at PN?

Brian

Brian,

They seem to have worked interchangeably with the B17s so I think they would have worked in from East Anglia. Probably not on the mainline from KX though. Plenty worked from Cambridge to KX, so I would be in for one when that poll comes.

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Welcome to the first of three planned Mini-Polls concerning locos with a connection to Peterborough North. The title is Freight Types, but we appreciate that some were used on passenger too. It is simply to differentiate from the other two Mini-Polls (which are Passenger – Tank and Passenger – Tender). I am running the Mini-Polls on behalf of Gilbert, but with the kind assistance of Chris Knowles-Thomas.

It is often impossible to be ‘deadly precise’ with a 1-line descriptor as many classes were altered over the years. We take the view that ‘if it looks like a J52, it probably is a J52’. Recent past experience is showing that makers are ‘tooling up’ to make as many variants as they can for any new model.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1 You may vote for any or all of the 12 items listed plus a response to item 13 (if you so wish)

2 They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 10 – with comments and explanations following.

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

0-6-0T

0-6-0

3   GNR J6 (64170-64279)

5   GER/LNER J19 (64640-64674

4-6-0

2-8-0 & 2-8-2

Please give the company, wheel arrangement and class number (as per the list above).

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until midnight on Wednesday 14 July. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Thursday 15 July.

Brian & Chris

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from Chris and me in a ‘personal capacity’.)

My vote is 2,3,6,10, 12.

A buck jumper would be useful as they worked the yards on the GNML south of PN.

I love J6s and although I have a kit built one a second would be welcome.

The  J20s did transfers goods at the south end of the GNML, so I could justify one of them.

Any of the B16s would be nice but I’d prefer a /3 as I think they worked south more often in the 1950s. I also have a kit to build for a B16/1.

A P1 would be an extravagance and I don’t see the connection to PN given they were all withdrawn in the 1940s, but they were so sexy that I’d have to have one if they were produced.

J52s and J17s are worthy contenders but I have already built BEC kit versions, plus a Hornby/ Bachmann Pannier mash up for the J52 as per ‘31A’. I don’t think J19s, J39s or O4s worked south of PN to my area of interest (around Hatfield).

As for 13, I would love one of the other GNR 0-6-0s, especially a J1. But that would come behind a J6 in the RTR queue.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello again Paul

Can I confirm your vote?

Are you voting for only the J67/68/69?

Or are you also - which I would guess as being so - voting for J17, J19, J20 and J39.

Thanks

Brian

Bruan

Vote for all six I've listed, with comments as requested.

Your 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 plus a 13.

Paul

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Here’s what to do…

0-6-0T

0-6-0

3   GNR J6 (64170-64279)

5   GER/LNER J19 (64640-64674) 

4-6-0

2-8-0 & 2-8-2

Brian & Chris

Bearing in mind, my votes have a North West bias.
Locos seen in Manchester from the Calder Valley and or the Woodhead.
My votes are, therefore.
8, 9, 10, 11.
O4/8 is essential for my Manchester based layout, the B16's appeared at the end of their lives when two arrived at Mytholmroyd.
B16/3's could be seen, occasionally on the Standedge line on fitted freight.

• Thanks 1

Re: Freight (and Mixed Traffic) Locomotive Types.

Please may I vote for 7, 8 ,9 and (I suppose I should really)  10.

My locomotives need to be in LNER livery, and I should perhaps say that my railway has no real  relation to the superb PN.

(Except of course being linked by some 183 miles of main line railway, and I am quite prepared to regard the ex-GN mainline after 1923 as the NER London Branch!)

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, this is most interesting, and, firstly, my votes are as follows:

1, J52, 

3, J6,

4, J17,

7, J39,

8, B16/1,

9, B16/2,

10, B16/3,

11, O4/8.

I believe all of those would be of use on Peterborough North, plus I like those classes too. I’d dearly love to see RTR’s of all of them, and would purchase them without hesitation. Especially, though, the J6, J39, B16/1, and O4/8.

Rob.

• Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

I'm going for.

3, J6, all GN layouts need at least one, which I have, but I'll have another.

6, J20, UK's biggest 0-6-0, why wouldn't I.

12, P1, Great under-rated loco.

A Good D2, would be on my wish list.

manna

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I'm going for.

3, J6, all GN layouts need at least one, which I have, but I'll have another.

6, J20, UK's biggest 0-6-0, why wouldn't I.

12, P1, Great under-rated loco.

A Good D2, would be on my wish list.

manna

I’d also love a D2, but I was saving that for the passenger list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I’d also love a D2, but I was saving that for the passenger list.

OK, I'll change that to a Q1, I know it's a bit early for Gilberts, PN, but they did work through PN for 30 years.

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A great poll Brian.  Can I vote for 1. J52, I have a Hornby body and comet chassis plus super detail kit to do one for Wakefield West, 3. J6 because I have built 3 now and think they are a very under-rated loco, 7. the J39 is ubiquitous in the area I model and the Bachman one is quite dated, though I do have a kit one to put together and finally 11. O4/8 because I am a lazy b*gger who probably can’t be bothered hacking at a Bachman jobby just yet.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1