Peterborough North

great northern

G'Day Folks

PN, needs to be backdated 10 years, all that Post War grot. Including Atlantic's D2's all the GN 0-6-0's. Awww!

manna

Edited by manna
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, great northern said:

Yes, it does happen occasionally. I've been pretty successful at avoiding any more though.....so far. A D2 keeps tempting me, but I resist.

I also fancy a D2. I’m sure we will be debating that soon on one of Brian’s polls!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

I'm pleased to say the eye op all went well yesterday with all credit to the NHS staff I met!

If there are any queries on the Results, I'm happy to help.

Brian

Yea, Brian. Great news and welcome back.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

PN 00 Loco Mini-Poll No.2: Passenger – Tank

Hello everyone

Welcome to the second of three planned Mini-Polls concerning locos with a connection to Peterborough North.

The title is Passenger - Tank, but we appreciate that some were used on freight or parcels etc. It is simply to differentiate from the other two Mini-Polls (Freight Types and Passenger – Tender). I am running the Mini-Polls on behalf of Gilbert, but with the kind assistance of Chris Knowles-Thomas.

It is often impossible to be ‘deadly precise’ with a 1-line descriptor as many classes were altered over the years. We take the view that ‘if it looks like an N2, it probably is an N2’. Recent past experience is showing that makers are ‘tooling up’ to make as many variants as they can for any new model.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do:

1 You may vote for any or all of the five items listed plus a response to item 6 (if you so wish)

2 They must be items with a ‘PN connection’ and which you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 5 – with comments and explanations following.

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

4-4-2T

1. 4-4-2T GNR C12 (67350-67399)

0-6-2T

2. 0-6-2T GNR N1 (69430-69485)

3. 0-6-2T GNR N2 (69490-69596)

4. 0-6-2T MSLR N4/N5 (69225-69247, 69250-69370)

4-6-2T

5. 4-6-2T GCR/LNER A5/1 (69800-69829)

6. Your suggestions of any locos not listed above - but they must have a ‘PN connection’

Please give the company, wheel arrangement and class number (as per the list above).

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

We are back on ‘normal schedule’ now, so you have until 17.00 on Thursday 22 July to vote. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Friday 23 July.

We look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian & Chris

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from Chris and me in a ‘personal capacity’.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

A simple Mini-Poll for me this time – just the N2!

The current Hornby model derives from the original Airfix design which was then produced by Mainline in 1982. Dapol bought the tooling and this was eventually sold to Hornby in 1996.

Although of GNR heritage, the class should have good appeal to a maker due to the geographic spread in BR days – even in Scotland – coupled with a life-span from 1920 to up to 1962, enabling a number of liveries.

Looking at the Hugh Longworth Allocations Book for 1960, the 47 remaining N2s were shedded at:

22        King’s Cross

3          Hornsey

4          Hatfield

1          Hitchin

5          New England

5          Grantham

1          Carlisle Canal

3          Parkhead

2          Kipps

1          Dawsholm

If you look at 1954 – when the full complement of 107 locos was extant – Stratford, Parkeston and Colchester were on the list.

Icing on any new loco cake would be some new-tooled BR Mk1 Short Underframe Non-gangwayed stock!

Brian

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

For today's poll I will vote for 1, 2 and 3.

Although I think 1 and 2 would be stretching things a bit for my layout which is set in London c.1958-1961, I like them so "Rule 1" would apply!

I've got 4 Hornby N2s in use at the moment.  Although the Hornby versions run a lot better than the original Mainline ones, a new model which could perform as well as the recent Oxford Rail N7 would be very welcome.  The bodies are a bit basic by today's standards to say the least, although they are easy to improve with detailing, but again an up to date version would be good; hopefully some of the detail differences within in the class could be catered for.

Agree with Brian re. new tooling BR non gangwayed stock, as well!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

... especially considering the small space you need to squeeze yourself into to capture that shot for our delectation.:jester:

But it is lovely now, compared with the long period where I also had to crouch under that overhanging bookcase.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Just one vote for me - the N5.

An updated N2 is overdue but I already have five (four Hornby and one scratch built bought second hand). I’ve weathered and detailed all these so would not want to throw them away and they’re good enough for me. Five is enough!

An N1 would be a good bet with its wide use in the west riding as well as out of KX, but I have one - 3D printed on a N2 chassis - and they were being phased out down south by the early ‘50s.

The C12 is also an elegant design and I love them but I have built a kit and one is enough given their limited workings down south.

An A5 is a tempting prospect. I do want but I’m half way through building a kit which has got put in the too difficult box at present. If that fails I‘d take an A5 too but I feel I have to try to complete the kit first. Again there were only penny numbers in the KX area post war, so one is enough.

I agree with the comment on updated Mk1 shorties especially if the GN specific CL and SLO could be included.

Andy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

1.4.5. for me this time.

C12s were very near the end of their long service as pilots at PN by the summer of 58, and I already have the last survivor at New England. A good RTR one would be irresistible though. I already have an N5 too, of course, but again I would find a way to justify a second if one became available. A5s I also love, and have one, but the same applies, I would have another one like a shot. Or perhaps more than one.

N1, very nice, but not seen at PN. N2s came as pilots 1959-61, so too late for me, and they were in disgraceful condition, which would put me off anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Oh dear this is a bit of a worry - I could go broke! 1,2,3,4,5 for me.

C12 - I have 2 running and another I was given in the rebuilding stage. There is also one I built for a mate which is expected to return one day. Given some of my fictitious 1930s layout is in Lincolnshire and the rest possibly in Nottinghamshire I could not have too many C12s! I also supply the stock for a new exhibition layout we have in Adelaide based on Spilsby in East Lincolnshire. Such a pretty loco in my view.

N1 - I have the main parts from a w/m kit found in a job lot bought 8 years ago and a chassis but I would buy one RTR model.

N2 - I have a couple but a more detailed version to current standards would be useful.

N4/5 - I have a Millholme kit built about 20 years ago, but it is one of the 5 without rivets on the tanks. A nice RTR model to current standards wouldn't go amiss.

A5 - I have the Craftsman kit I built in the mid 80s and another partly rebuilt from the same lot as the N1. But a decent accurate model would be nice.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Modified a comment
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Manna

I realise you are slightly 'tongue-in-cheek' with the £100 price tag, but just checking as you say 'a' Quad Art...

There was a GE Section Quad Art - ie four coaches.

Then there were the GN Section Quad Arts - ie two different 4-car sets intended to run as an 8-car.

This is not part of the Mini-Poll but thought I ought to query in case anyone else comments on stock.

Brian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Manna

I realise you are slightly 'tongue-in-cheek' with the £100 price tag, but just checking as you say 'a' Quad Art...

There was a GE Section Quad Art - ie four coaches.

Then there were the GN Section Quad Arts - ie two different 4-car sets intended to run as an 8-car.

This is not part of the Mini-Poll but thought I ought to query in case anyone else comments on stock.

Brian

Hi Brian and All

The GE section Quad -arts were ordinary coaches intended for longer distance journeys. They had standard, well near standard legroom was I found out when making my one from Kirk sides. They share more in common with the many types of twin-art non gangway coaches. 

The GN Quads and the GE Quints were intended for shorter suburban trains, and were know for the cramped compartments, the sit up and beg type seating.

My GE section Hertford Quad.

009a.jpg.044be7eabc1ca8456ef3ce53a8fb44ee.jpg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2