Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Good morning. I’m voting for 1, 2 and 5. 
Firstly it’s because I like those tank engines, but in the case of the C12’s, some used to work in and out of Hull on services to my home town of Beverley, as well as Brough, Hornsea and Withernsea. I’ve photo’s of C12’s in use on all of those services. 
The N1’s, as mentioned, worked on some trains in West Yorkshire, and although the A5’s in the NE were a different sub class, I’d still happily buy one since it was an original, A5/1 I first scratchbuilt in the mid seventies. That was not a very good model though, and no longer exists.

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Another bit of experimentation tonight. What do you think?

26226337_5700underfar.JPG.b9a87bc05c65e2731109a01f37bc0357.JPG

Gilbert,  you never do a bad picture, but for me the loco only in shadow with the train in daylight doesn’t seem to work . A little further down the platform might.

13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Brian and All

The GE section Quad -arts were ordinary coaches intended for longer distance journeys. They had standard, well near standard legroom was I found out when making my one from Kirk sides. They share more in common with the many types of twin-art non gangway coaches. 

The GN Quads and the GE Quints were intended for shorter suburban trains, and were know for the cramped compartments, the sit up and beg type seating.

My GE section Hertford Quad.

009a.jpg.044be7eabc1ca8456ef3ce53a8fb44ee.jpg

Hi, Clive.

Do you have any idea when the GE Quads were in use ?  I am  ( or was) a compulsive carriage counter for some reason and I am sure I saw a four coach articulated set at North Woolwich, my original spotting ground  at the end Of Steam. In by very youthful innocence I assumed it was a Quintart set with one over the middle carriages removed but I think possibly it was one of the Hertford Quadarts on one of the Through trains to Hertford which ran once in each direction per day. I don’t think the platforms at North Woolwich were long enough for five coach trains. My distant memory is that Liverpool St - Hertford  trains were seven coach non articulated sets but Liverpool St suburban was never good for viewing so I could be wrong. Why would they want to have Quadarts for Liverpool St - Hertford but normal non articulated sets for Liverpool- St - Bishops Stortford which was more or less the same distance ( 6 miles further) and exactly the same route for over half the distance , as far as Broxbourne? Seems odd to me.

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Hi, Clive.

Do you have any idea when the GE Quads were in use ?  I am  ( or was) a compulsive carriage counter for some reason and I am sure I saw a four coach articulated set at North Woolwich, my original spotting ground  at the end Of Steam. In by very youthful innocence I assumed it was a Quintart set with one over the middle carriages removed but I think possibly it was one of the Hertford Quadarts on one of the Through trains to Hertford which ran once in each direction per day. I don’t think the platforms at North Woolwich were long enough for five coach trains. My distant memory is that Liverpool St - Hertford  trains were seven coach non articulated sets but Liverpool St suburban was never good for viewing so I could be wrong. Why would they want to have Quadarts for Liverpool St - Hertford but normal non articulated sets for Liverpool- St - Bishops Stortford which was more or less the same distance ( 6 miles further) and exactly the same route for over half the distance , as far as Broxbourne? Seems odd to me.

Hi Jazzer

They were known as Hertford Quads but they worked right trough to Cambridge on some services from what I can find out.   Most were taken out of service in the late fifties but one set survived until 1963.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Yes I was meaning a GN 4 car set, so you would need two sets. 

manna

Hi Terry

An all third set and a compo set, which after 1940 was down graded to all third. The ex-first class compartments were where the knowledgeable commuters would head for. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Sandhole said:

As always, Manchester bias.
5 an A5/2
my 6 would be a C13 
Thanks,
Chris.

Hello Chris

We have only listed A5/1 here, so I have logged your A5/2 as 'a suggestion'. 

The criterion for the suggestion at 6 was that they must have 'a PN connection'. Does the C13 have a connection?

Brian

• RMweb Premium

"I confess that I really like the first one though. I know it breaks the rules, but it has impact, for me anyway."

I agree, I really like the contrast of the sunny day outside, then the dull interior.

The shot emphasises the length of the train too.

Syd

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Well, as it happens this was the next shot.

1921071460_6closer.JPG.518eafb137519bb9f56115e3314836b4.JPG

I confess that I really like the first one though. I know it breaks the rules, but it has impact, for me anyway.

Personal preference of course, but that seems much more atmospheric to me. The little bit of light reflecting off the loc makes all the difference, I think.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jazzer

They were known as Hertford Quads but they worked right trough to Cambridge on some services from what I can find out.   Most were taken out of service in the late fifties but one set survived until 1963.

Thanks Clive , that’s interesting ( to me anyway).  The North Woolwich branch was where a lot of old stock ended their days, primarily I suppose because most passengers would have been factory or dock workers in dirty clothes or overalls rather than shoppers or City gents, so I suppose what I saw might well have been the sole surviving Hertford set. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello jazzer

There is a Brian Pask photo of a GE Section Quad-Art on its way to North Woolwich on page 75 of London's East End Railways, Part 2.

The caption says late 1950s. The train loco - N7 No.69731 - is noted in the Modelmaster Allocations books as having been withdrawn in February 1959, so it no doubt pre-dates that.

Brian

6 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Chris

We have only listed A5/1 here, so I have logged your A5/2 as 'a suggestion'. 

The criterion for the suggestion at 6 was that they must have 'a PN connection'. Does the C13 have a connection?

Brian

I know C13s were seen occasionally at Retford.
I cannot say definitely for Peterborough. Perhaps Gilbert knows something.
Chris.

Dare I suggest, for the type of company that likes to commission interesting prototypes, that the NER's EE1 4-6-4 No.13 would probably sell a lot better than it's service record would have you believe?

I have absolutely no prototype justification for it. But it looks awesome, like nothing else we ever saw in this country, and I'd definitely have one.

I think this is the closest poll to mention it in. It is clearly a passenger loco, and it's clearly not a tender loco, even though it was built to haul top-link ECML passenger trains. The trains would run through PN, even though the loco would have been attached to them slightly further north...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I know C13s were seen occasionally at Retford.
I cannot say definitely for Peterborough. Perhaps Gilbert knows something.
Chris.

I can't see how a C13 would get to Peterborough. Retford just maybe, as some were shedded in the Sheffield area, but there were none close enough to PN for one to be seen there. Not in the late 50s, anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

Dare I suggest, for the type of company that likes to commission interesting prototypes, that the NER's EE1 4-6-4 No.13 would probably sell a lot better than it's service record would have you believe?

I have absolutely no prototype justification for it. But it looks awesome, like nothing else we ever saw in this country, and I'd definitely have one.

I think this is the closest poll to mention it in. It is clearly a passenger loco, and it's clearly not a tender loco, even though it was built to haul top-link ECML passenger trains. The trains would run through PN, even though the loco would have been attached to them slightly further north...

Hello Bloodnok

The criterion for this Mini-Poll is as stated in the introduction, viz: Welcome to the second of three planned Mini-Polls concerning locos with a connection to Peterborough North.

I can't see that your suggestion meets that.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Final Call for Votes - PN 00 Loco Mini-Poll No.2: Passenger – Tank

Hello everyone

A reminder that  your 'Polling Station' closes at 17.00 today.

If you haven't already voted. here’s what to do:

1 You may vote for any or all of the five items listed plus a response to item 6 (if you so wish)

2 They must be items with a ‘PN connection’ and which you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 5 – with comments and explanations following.

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

4-4-2T

1. 4-4-2T GNR C12 (67350-67399)

0-6-2T

2. 0-6-2T GNR N1 (69430-69485)

3. 0-6-2T GNR N2 (69490-69596)

4. 0-6-2T MSLR N4/N5 (69225-69247, 69250-69370)

4-6-2T

5. 4-6-2T GCR/LNER A5/1 (69800-69829)

6 Your suggestions of any locos not listed above (They must have a ‘PN connection’)

Please give the company, wheel arrangement and class number (as per the list above).

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

Brian & Chris

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from Chris and me in a ‘personal capacity’.)

20 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello jazzer

There is a Brian Pask photo of a GE Section Quad-Art on its way to North Woolwich on page 75 of London's East End Railways, Part 2.

The caption says late 1950s. The train loco - N7 No.69731 - is noted in the Modelmaster Allocations books as having been withdrawn in February 1959, so it no doubt pre-dates that.

Brian

Thanks for that Brian. There is a video of North Woolwich- Palace Gates which briefly shows the set number as Set 12. Does that throw any light on what set it is ? Apologies for drifting away from PN