Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The GN quad arts had set numbers between 48 and 94 and the quints were higher numbers.

So this was neither of these unless it could have been 12x in which case it was a quint art (I think).

Hope that’s helpful.

Andy

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Andy

We are actually talking about the GE Section Quad-Arts though.:)

I have always wondered why the GN types were called 'Quads' as they were designed to run as an 8-car set (barring exceptional circumstances and without passengers).

I suppose that - to railwaymen - the need to run as two 'correct but different sets' was patently obvious, but it does seem to cause confusion to some modellers.

And it isn't helped by the fact the North Norfolk Railway has a GN Quad which has been specially converted to run as 4-coaches!

Brian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Andy

We are actually talking about the GE Section Quad-Arts though.:)

I have always wondered why the GN types were called 'Quads' as they were designed to run as an 8-car set (barring exceptional circumstances and without passengers).

I suppose that - to railwaymen - the need to run as two 'correct but different sets' was patently obvious, but it does seem to cause confusion to some modellers.

And it isn't helped by the fact the North Norfolk Railway has a GN Quad which has been specially converted to run as 4-coaches!

Brian

Brian,

I realise that. I was just trying to rule out the quints. 

They  were called quads because four coaches were articulated together in the same way as twin arts were two coaches coupled together. The twins rarely ran on their own but nobody says that’s confusing. Admittedly the GN quads were a little different as they always ran in trains of eight coaches (sometimes plus a strengthener). It does frustrate me how often one sees a single four car quad running on exhibition layouts. It’s not as if a full 8 car set is very long - similar to five mark 1s and with a good deal more character!

Andy

A8F30D88-9308-4796-8DE4-159AD825CAE4.jpeg.08e14f6d6b817127e791649d60705b20.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I currently have models of all of these, though the A5 is in tiny pieces and is perhaps unlikely to run again, hence that would be my first choice.

I could be tempted to an upgrade of any of the models listed if produced RTR to modern standards.  I wonder if the imminent 100th anniversary of the preserved N2 could persuade Hornby into a new model?  Maybe they could use their expertise at reproducing a teak finish by teaming the N2 with a model of the quad-art set preserved on the NNR.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Results – PN 00 Loco Mini-Poll No.2: Passenger – Tank

Hello everyone

Many thanks to the 13 voters who took part.

The number of votes to each item is shown in the left hand column and Comments Received are appended on a PDF as usual.

Please note that the results reflect the views of those who voted here and may not necessarily reflect those of the wider modelling community.

High Polling

9          A5/1 (69800-69829)

Middle Polling

8          C12 (67350-67399)

8          N1 (69430-69485)

8          N4/N5 (69225-69247, 69250-69370)

Low Polling

5          N2 (69490-69596)

Your suggestions of any locos not listed above (They must have had a ‘PN connection’)

There were no ‘PN connection’ suggestions.

We will be back on Monday with PN 00 Loco Mini-Poll No.3: Passenger Types – Tender.

Brian & Chris

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from Chris and me in a ‘personal capacity’.)

Mini-Poll PN Loco No.2 Passenger Tank Comments Received.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, great northern said:

More of the works of Mr Thompson this morning, as Thane of Fife waits in the bay to take over the 7.53 Sunderland.

2010106307_9505.JPG.ed7389e69e4f7de46503139838eac0dc.JPG

Good  Morning Gilbert

Sorry to hear you have retired from playing golf but can fully understand especially after my round last Friday ,nearly did the same myself but I would still miss it far to much at the moment to give it up.

Your A2/2 60505 looks superb, is it a kit built version or one of Hornby's new models given the Tim treatment?

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, landscapes said:

Good  Morning Gilbert

Sorry to hear you have retired from playing golf but can understand specially after my round last Friday ,nearly did the same myself but I would still miss it far to much at the moment to give it up.

Your A2/2 60505 looks superb, is it a kit built version or one of Hornby's new models given the Tim treatment?

Regards

David

It is a Tim special David, which he did for me several years ago.

• RMweb Gold

PN 00 Loco Mini-Poll No.3: Passenger – Tender

Hello everyone

Welcome to the third and final Mini-Poll concerning locos with a connection to Peterborough North.

The title is Passenger - Tender, but we appreciate that some were used on freight or parcels etc. It is simply to differentiate from the other two Mini-Polls (Freight Types and Passenger – Tank). I am running the Mini-Polls on behalf of Gilbert, but with the kind assistance of Chris Knowles-Thomas.

It is often impossible to be ‘deadly precise’ with a 1-line descriptor as many classes were altered over the years. We take the view that ‘if it looks like a K3, it probably is a K3’. Recent past experience is showing that makers are ‘tooling up’ to make as many variants as they can for any new model.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do:

1. You may vote for any or all of the 12 items listed plus a response to item 13 (if you so wish)

2. They must be items with a ‘PN connection’ and which you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 5 – with comments and explanations following.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

4-4-0 & 4-4-2

1 GNR C2 Atlantic

2 GNR D2

3 GNR D3

4 GER/LNER D16/3 Claud Hamilton – Decorative valance (in range 62501-62620)

2-6-0

5 GNR K2 (61720-61794)

6 LNER K3 (61800-61992)

4-6-0

7 LNER B2 (in range 61603-61671, but many are B17)

8 GER/LNER B12 (in range 61501-61563, but some are B12/4 and most are B12/3)

9 GER/LNER B12/4 (in range 61500-61532 but some are B12 and most are B12/3)

4-6-2

10 LNER A1 (60114-60162)

11 LNER A1/1 (60113)

2-8-2

12 LNER P2 Streamlined Style Nos.2003-2006 & Rebuilt Nos.2001/2

13 Your suggestions of locos not listed above. (They must have a ‘PN Connection’)

Please give the company, wheel arrangement and class number (as per the list above).

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Thursday 29 July to vote. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Friday 30 July. Following on a separate posting soon after will be a combined summary of the three Mini-Polls in the usual High, Middle and Low Polling format.

We look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian & Chris

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from Chris and me in a ‘personal capacity’.)

Edited by BMacdermott

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Another easy Mini-Poll for me! My votes go to:

7 – the B2

11 – the A1/1   

When I was a short-trousered schoolboy trainspotter alongside the Liverpool Street to Cambridge main line in the late 1950s, I was literally fed up with seeing the B2s on a daily basis…but how I would love a model now!

A pal of mine lived just north of Waltham Cross station in the aptly named Eastern Avenue and his garden backed onto the line. The trains were so close we felt we could touch them!

The class has never fared very well in the 00 Wishlist Polls and I have never heard a valid explanation as to why that might be. They are a ‘justified’ GE main line loco at the very least.

The A1/1 is the ‘missing link’ in ECML pacifics. Another loco that has never fared well in the Polls without any real explanation.

Brian

• Like 2

1,2,3 and 5 for me, please, all would have been around at the time of my ECML layout (1938ish). 

The P2 is from the same era but I would suggest that, at that time, some of the ex GC 4-6-0s would have been more likely visitors to PN. I'm assuming the B2 listed is the B17 rebuild, hence for me, Valour, Sam Fay or Immingham would do nicely!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1