Peterborough North

great northern

40 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

1,2,3 and 5 for me, please, all would have been around at the time of my ECML layout (1938ish). 

The P2 is from the same era but I would suggest that, at that time, some of the ex GC 4-6-0s would have been more likely visitors to PN. I'm assuming the B2 listed is the B17 rebuild, hence for me, Valour, Sam Fay or Immingham would do nicely!

Your suggestions for big GC locos are cool. I could use a Sam Fay or Immingham on my Mythical Manchester Oldham Rd layout.
I don't know sufficient to say they went to Peterborough.
Regards,
Chris.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I'm assuming the B2 listed is the B17 rebuild, hence for me, Valour, Sam Fay or Immingham would do nicely!

Hello 2750Papyrus

I'm sorry to say that the B2 is the later version, so I have repeated the listing below.

Brian

LNER B2 (in range 61603-61671, but many are B17)

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

Your suggestions for big GC locos are cool. I could use a Sam Fay or Immingham on my Mythical Manchester Oldham Rd layout.
Regards,
Chris.

B4s did by the look of a photo posted earlier in this thread:

B3s and B7s presumably would have done in the 1930s on the Eason's specials from Grimsby to KX (Eason being the travel agent that organised them) and before that B3s (and at least one B2) on the various iterations of the Sheffield/Harrogate etc Pullmans immediately post-Grouping.  The latter the excuse for Tim Watson's lovely Valour on Copenhagen Fields:

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sandhole said:

Regards,
Chris.

Most of the GC 4.6.0s would have been seen pretty regularly at PN between the wars, and during the second. B8 and B9 would have been the very unlikely ones to visit, but B2s and B3s certainly worked on the E.Lincs.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Gilbert

Note to All:

We are happy to accept suggestions of locos not listed (as long as they have a 'PN connection'). Please be very clear as to which class and 'incarnation' you are referring to, though, as there is potential for confusion.

Perhaps give me a 'link' to a relevant  page on the LNER Encyclopaedia?

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of choices for me this time. 2.4.5.7.11.

I haven't included 6 and 10, as both have been done by Bachmann, and I have several of them. D16 with valances would top the list for me, and more K2s would be welcome. The A1/1 was a very regular visitor to PN, so that would be ideal too. Until recently I'd have said that would never be available RTR, but with the recent history of one offs which have appeared, I'm not so sure now. Another B2 or more could be justified as well, all being at Cambridge by 1956. Finally, I would not be able to resist a D2, should it ever happen, which I doubt.

Plenty of suggestions for locos not listed, though they all fall into the same category as the D2. All are 4.4.0s. M&GN Class A, plus classes D52 D53 and D54, all seen daily at PN at least until the mid 30s, and GC D9 4.4.0, as they also worked on the M&GN at the end of their lives. None of those are going to happen, of course, but an M&GN 4.4.0 plus a short train of appropriate vintage stock would make me very happy indeed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Most of the GC 4.6.0s would have been seen pretty regularly at PN between the wars, and during the second. B8 and B9 would have been the very unlikely ones to visit, but B2s and B3s certainly worked on the E.Lincs.

Thank you Gilbert.

4 - LNER D16/3 4-4-0 Claud with valance

7 - LNER B2 4-6-0 (rebuilt Sandy)

11 - LNER A1/1 4-6-2 60113

Not sure that the B12 and K3 are relevant though due to existing models?

Also having definitely seen  2 examples of D49 (and someone else I knew saw them too), working a train round the St.Ives loop to Cambridge, I assume that it came from Peterborough?  I've been dismissed before for mentioning these, but I (and the other guy) both separately saw them. I've also seen Patriot 45541 work a freight through to Cambridge & back via the same route.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Not sure that the B12 and K3 are relevant though due to existing models?

Stewart

Hello Stewart

Chris and I 'make a judgement call' as to what to list based on a number of unwritten but valid criteria, the primary one being to keep lists to a maximum load of 12. (Hence, you will have seen the B16s in the Freight Poll - with reasons given.)

Although Hornby has produced the B12/3, neither of the two variants on our list have yet seen the light of day. The same with the D16.

In respect of the A1 and K3, we listed these as the models initially came to market prior to 2005 -  the date which we used as 'the cut-off date' in The 00 Wishlist Poll. The D2 and D3 went in fairly late as they had come up as suggestions.

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh Gilbert, I have sinned - I have not been paying attention, and thus missed the mini-poll and of course my vote would have been an N5 - thus taking it up to 9 and 'high polling' score.....so we're just waiting for it to be produced now!

Sorry to hear you have given up the golf, but if your back agrees then perhaps no bad thing.  Ageing is out of our control, just ask my foot.

• RMweb Premium

Brian/ Gilbert,

my votes are as follows:

11. A1/1. This is now a huge missing link for an GNML 1950s layout and is probably my no1 vote of any of your polls (although some pre grouping coaches would have been higher if allowed!).

7. B2. I have one kit built version but would like Royal Sovereign as that was a regular on the beer trains.

5. I would struggle to justify a K2 but they’re rather nice and I think they must have worked through to KX in the early ‘59s on occasion so I’d probably justify one. 
3. D3.  I could justify no.2000 on its directors saloon duties in the early fifties, so I’d go for that. None of the other D2 or D3s would be suitable for my layout.

4. I think a decorative valence D16/3 would have worked on the Cambridge beer trains in the early fifties so I’d go for one of them - they’re rather attractive after all.

13. 60503/60504. These had different boilers/cabs to the Hornby A2/2s and would not be an easy conversion. Therefore almost as big a missing link as the A1/1.

I wouldn’t vote for the others because either I’m perfectly happy with the RTR versions I have (K3, A1) or they have no credible link to the south end of the GNML in the ‘50s (P2, D2). I know the K3 has wheels which are too small but I’d never have noticed if someone hadn’t pointed it out. The bigger gap for me is the lack of front footsteps and I’ve scratch built some for mine. Anyway I have 5 (2 Bachmann, 3 SE Finecast/ Wills) and that’s probably 4 too many! I can’t see any obvious weakness in the Bachmann A1.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy

Good point about 60503 and 60504.

Somerset & Dorset fans - of which I am one - have a similar problem with the S&D 7F 2-8-0. The 'large boiler' versions haven't been made and neither has 53807. This loco had a unique smokebox saddle when rebuilt.

I discussed the matter with Merl Evans (as I helped on the project) but his view was that tooling costs precluded it.

Brian

Edited by BMacdermott
Sorry. Corrected 53808 to 53807!

I would buy

2-6-0

5 GNR K2 (61720-61794)

6 LNER K3 (61800-61992)

4-6-2

10 LNER A1 (60114-60162)  Yes the Bachmann model though tough and robust is looking a little dated. Personally I really hate the cartazzi representation

11 LNER A1/1 (60113) wouldn't buy - as I've already got a very well built one from GRKing and Morgan Gilbert

13 Peppercorn A2 for the same reason as 10 I'd also go with the thompson A2/2s 60503/4 and the A2/1s

Edited by davidw
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/07/2021 at 08:19, BMacdermott said:

PN 00 Loco Mini-Poll No.3: Passenger – Tender

Hello everyone

Welcome to the third and final Mini-Poll concerning locos with a connection to Peterborough North.

The title is Passenger - Tender, but we appreciate that some were used on freight or parcels etc. It is simply to differentiate from the other two Mini-Polls (Freight Types and Passenger – Tank). I am running the Mini-Polls on behalf of Gilbert, but with the kind assistance of Chris Knowles-Thomas.

It is often impossible to be ‘deadly precise’ with a 1-line descriptor as many classes were altered over the years. We take the view that ‘if it looks like a K3, it probably is a K3’. Recent past experience is showing that makers are ‘tooling up’ to make as many variants as they can for any new model.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do:

1. You may vote for any or all of the 12 items listed plus a response to item 13 (if you so wish)

2. They must be items with a ‘PN connection’ and which you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 5 – with comments and explanations following.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

4-4-0 & 4-4-2

1 GNR C2 Atlantic

2 GNR D2

3 GNR D3

4 GER/LNER D16/3 Claud Hamilton – Decorative valance (in range 62501-62620)

2-6-0

5 GNR K2 (61720-61794)

6 LNER K3 (61800-61992)

4-6-0

7 LNER B2 (in range 61603-61671, but many are B17)

8 GER/LNER B12 (in range 61501-61563, but some are B12/4 and most are B12/3)

9 GER/LNER B12/4 (in range 61500-61532 but some are B12 and most are B12/3)

4-6-2

10 LNER A1 (60114-60162)

11 LNER A1/1 (60113)

2-8-2

12 LNER P2 Streamlined Style Nos.2003-2006 & Rebuilt Nos.2001/2

13 Your suggestions of locos not listed above. (They must have a ‘PN Connection’)

Please give the company, wheel arrangement and class number (as per the list above).

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Thursday 29 July to vote. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Friday 30 July. Following on a separate posting soon after will be a combined summary of the three Mini-Polls in the usual High, Middle and Low Polling format.

We look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian & Chris

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from Chris and me in a ‘personal capacity’.)

Hi Brian

I see you have listed LNER passenger engines which would have been seen at Peterborough North.  The MR/LMS/LMR ran trains through Peterborough North on route to Peterborough East following the closure of the MR's Peterborough Spital Bridge Station. Are you going to do a list of LMS locos as well?

If you are not can I suggest for my vote of number 13, a MR 483 class 2 4-4-0, a Belpaire class 3 4-4-0, a Johnson class 1 2-4-0, LTSR class 79 modified (LMS class 3P)  41949, 41969 and 41975 were Peterborough engines,

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Clive

We weren't planning on doing any further PN Mini-Polls as we were focusing on the 'LNER side of matters'.

However, if Gilbert would like one, I'm happy to run it - but I would need 'list suggestions in writing' as the MR/LMS/LMR side of matters is not my area of expertise (and I guess not of Chris but stand for him to correct me there).

Over to Gilbert...

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Clive

We weren't planning on doing any further PN Mini-Polls as we were focusing on the 'LNER side of matters'.

However, if Gilbert would like one, I'm happy to run it - but I would need 'list suggestions in writing' as the MR/LMS/LMR side of matters is not my area of expertise (and I guess not of Chris but stand for him to correct me there).

Over to Gilbert...

Brian

Polls aside, how are you doing eye wise matey? All settled down now?

P

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Clive

Over to Gilbert...

Brian

Thanks Brian.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Polls aside, how are you doing eye wise matey? All settled down now?

P

Tkangs Fhil

My euyes aree 100% pufekt nuw amd I kan see tfe kaybooard souperbly weell.

Brian :jester:

PS Seriously, Phil, many thanks for your concern. I can honestly say that I am 100% happy with the result in all respects. I have a pair of very old glasses that are 95% good. I just have to wait for an optician appointment for new prescription glasses in about a month, then I'll be back to where I haven't been for about 18 months.

It wasn't 'seriously bad' but needed doing.:)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Tkangs Fhil

My euyes aree 100% pufekt nuw amd I kan see tfe kaybooard souperbly weell.

Brian :jester:

PS Seriously, Phil, many thanks for your concern. I can honestly say that I am 100% happy with the result in all respects. I have a pair of very old glasses that are 95% good. I just have to wait for an optician appointment for new prescription glasses in about a month, then I'll be back to where I haven't been for about 18 months.

It wasn't 'seriously bad' but needed doing.:)

image.png.56586a696bde9ee64ba8c541c68a8531.png

That is such good news. How the eyes can be worked on now would absolutely amaze Health workers form just 50 years ago.  We are so lucky here really.

All the best.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, great northern said:

Here is Leicester's venerable 2P, 40452, shortly to be on its way home, a journey it will have made many times before.

1798462587_22P.JPG.f575d8a141f9c6e0f75b18f04ff09417.JPG

Nice engin; almost as 'andsome as a T9 :D but with teeny Tender.

• Like 1