Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Thanks very much to Brian and Gilbert for these polls.  I'm scratching my head to try and think of another!

Infrastructure came to mind but I can't get much further than somersault signals, water columns and fencing (already available from Isinglass).

Many thanks!

The difficulty with 'infrastructure' - as we found out when we had such a category in the 'main' Wishlist Polls - was that much is 'location bespoke' and often difficult to pin down.

Overhead Line Equipment (OHLE), for example, sounds easy but that could run a whole poll of its own! I'm not sure if I mentioned it here recently or on another thread, but if you drive north up the M1 approaching Watford Gap Services, the WCML runs parallel and you can count six different types in that short stretch alone.

Indeed, there were 'standard items' emanating from the old railways - such as what many know as the Airfix Signal Box or the ubiquitous Exmouth Junction Works concrete footbridge. But it is still a vast field that is pretty much impossible to cover comprehensively.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I increasingly expect a new, bucolic branchline layout to appear - called High or maybe Middle Polling. 

Just pick a very unpopular and uninteresting subject for the poll. Then you could call it Little Polling.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I increasingly expect a new, bucolic branchline layout to appear - called High or maybe Middle Polling. 

15 hours ago, great northern said:

Just pick a very unpopular and uninteresting subject for the poll. Then you could call it Little Polling.

And the trains would all call at

wait for it...

Polling Station.

I thank you.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 6

19 hours ago, great northern said:

So Geoff West duly arrived, and I put into place my cunning plan to run for him some of my most reliable trains. First up was the loaded coal, which will trundle round merrily for ever without incident. It fell off. So I tried Thane of Fife on my end door Gresleys, a loco which had performed perfectly only a few days before. It ran a few feet, and stopped, but far enough for the screw coupling on one of the coaches to break in two. Aborted that, and ran the fish, again a perfect runner, but the B1 pulling it came off on the way back into the fiddle yard. It hasn't done that before. To the Yorkshire Pullman, round OK, but stopped on the way into its storage road. That hasn't happened before either. Total demoralisation, and much silent cursing. Why does it always happen when someone else is watching? But otherwise we had a very nice day.

Never mind Gilbert, as I said to you yesterday, being a student of sir I seem to put the mark of Cain on things like he does. 

A most enjoyable day though. Thank you, it was good to see you again.

19 hours ago, great northern said:

So Geoff West duly arrived, and I put into place my cunning plan to run for him some of my most reliable trains. First up was the loaded coal, which will trundle round merrily for ever without incident. It fell off. So I tried Thane of Fife on my end door Gresleys, a loco which had performed perfectly only a few days before. It ran a few feet, and stopped, but far enough for the screw coupling on one of the coaches to break in two. Aborted that, and ran the fish, again a perfect runner, but the B1 pulling it came off on the way back into the fiddle yard. It hasn't done that before. To the Yorkshire Pullman, round OK, but stopped on the way into its storage road. That hasn't happened before either. Total demoralisation, and much silent cursing. Why does it always happen when someone else is watching? But otherwise we had a very nice day.

I think that's called 'Sod's Law', Gilbert.
Always happens.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It has come to my attention that a number of people have been stranded in Exeter for weeks, as the poll in which they were involved was put on hold while we took part in Brian's excellent series. That has now sadly concluded, and though Exeter has many attractions, they can begin to pall over time.

So, the journey will now continue. We were looking for the feature you would most want to see on a particular stretch of line, and we are now going on from Exeter to Penzance via the coastal route. As it is August, you might be wanting to go somewhere on holiday, so please consider your preferred destination which both gives you a good seaside holiday and the opportunity to go back up the branch to the junction station to see what is going on there. Best combination of main line and seaside terminus is what I'm trying to say, or at least I think so.

• Like 1