Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I found an old magazine yesterday, which I had kept as it had an article by the chap who was appointed new England Yard master in 1959. Some interesting stuff about goods workings in there, but also a plan, which I looked at more closely than I had in the past, and found a little box headed Platform Accomodation. It gives , measured in bogies, the number of coaches each platform would hold.

No 1 bay held 5 bogies, mine holds one less.

Up Platform 2 held 13, as does mine, just.

Down Main Platform 3, 12 bogies, so does mine.

No 4 bay, 6 bogies, I can manage five and a half.

No 5 bay, 6 bogies, but only one and a half with platform, and I can do that

No 6 "Excursion" platform 11 bogies, and mine holds 11 too.

I'm quite pleased with that, but it does confirm that nearly all of the necessary compression of length occurs between the down platform ends and Spital Bridge. Could I have avoided some of that compression by making the platforms a bit shorter? On reflection, I don't think that would have worked.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/08/2021 at 09:32, great northern said:

the only problem being that the lamps were put on by fireman Magoo.

They look fine to me.......oh wait a minuite...where are me specs?

Ah.. its the speed these Streaks go you know, moves the lamps all over the place.

Lovely stuff and all those people waiting for a train too. When was the station re-built? The real one I mean!

First trip to Peterborough shed etc was by train from Wellingborough if I recall correctly, Three-four BR suburban coaches and a Stainer 2-6-4 tank. Saw my one and only K3 on shed.

Truly lovely work, thanks.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 30368 said:

They look fine to me.......oh wait a minuite...where are me specs?

Ah.. its the speed these Streaks go you know, moves the lamps all over the place.

Lovely stuff and all those people waiting for a train too. When was the station re-built? The real one I mean!

First trip to Peterborough shed etc was by train from Wellingborough if I recall correctly, Three-four BR suburban coaches and a Stainer 2-6-4 tank. Saw my one and only K3 on shed.

Truly lovely work, thanks.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Rebuilding was a fairly drawn out process, between mid 60s and early 70s. All character and atmosphere removed. It strikes me as a very sterile looking place now.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1