Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

This may be a A2/2.........but, interesting.

manna

1710099094_60502capture1.jpg.0d61a493de4768895417474977d244c7.jpg

502 had a heavy intermediate repair in 1949. I'm guessing that it wasn't repainted, but someone decided that the new fangled BR number should be applied.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, great northern said:

Time we had some more audience participation on here, I think, so here is another poll. Of the stations which remain open on the ECML, which still retains the most ambience, infrastructure and the general feel that it had back in the days of steam? I'll tell you now that Peterborough won't win. Reasons for nomination would be interesting.

You might be unsurprised if I go for York!  Buildings virtually unchanged; slightly fewer lines but still very busy, just more efficiently run with fewer loco changes, shunting etc.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 31A said:

You might be unsurprised if I go for York!  Buildings virtually unchanged; slightly fewer lines but still very busy, just more efficiently run with fewer loco changes, shunting etc.

Another vote for York. I'm not old enough to remember steam, but York simply oozes atmosphere :)

• Like 2

How about Kings Cross - rather than be built over like Liverpool Street or demolished like Euston, they have maintained the main shed, stripped away the awful frontage and created a space that looks like somewhere to travel from, even the wiring is subtle.

courtesy of https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/06/passengers-now-benefit-from-major-one-off-upgrade-of-london-kings-cross-station.html

image.png.8c6cd3694848177dc19722c9424b3eb9.png

Newcastle has lost much though the central arch remains as does the lovely footbridge, York also looks tastefully maintained

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Time we had some more audience participation on here, I think, so here is another poll. Of the stations which remain open on the ECML, which still retains the most ambience, infrastructure and the general feel that it had back in the days of steam? I'll tell you now that Peterborough won't win. Reasons for nomination would be interesting.

Biggleswade, as it still retains the GNR platform buildings on Platform 1 and 2 from when the GNR quadrupled the line. It also still has the GNR station building, but so do Sandy and St Neots but they have lost the other buildings. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Edinburgh Waverley. Apart from the trains and the knitting, it's not too different from when I first knew it in the 1970s (which, I gather, wasn't too different from how it was for a long time before that).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

York is my choice, when first at work I had to go to monthly meetings that were held in the Royal Station hotel, now the Principal, and I always managed a good look around the station or the railway museum, often managing  a Deltic Doncaster - York or return. Still a fabulous station though as is normal the track layout has been "simplified" it still retains the grandeur and solidity of such a building.

• Like 1

Not having seen any ECML stations apart from York for many many years I did wonder about stations like St Neots, Biggleswade and Sandy so thanks Clive.

I'm not really in a position to comment as it is so long since I travelled on the line.

Martyn

On 03/09/2021 at 22:24, great northern said:

Rebuilding was a fairly drawn out process, between mid 60s and early 70s. All character and atmosphere removed. It strikes me as a very sterile looking place now.

I left Peterborough in July 1967, and I do not recall any rebuilding work starting by then, but talk of it, so it may have started late 67 or early 68.

Lloyd

Re least changed stations on ECML, I am not familiar with most of them, but I would have thought that York, Newcastle, Waverley, and Perth would be in the running. Apart from the filled in north bay at Perth, there is not much changed as far as I can see, and I would go for Perth or York for my vote.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know little about V2s but that looks really good. I saw this loco once; think it might have been York?

Gilbert, I hope it runs as well as it looks and that it satisfies the ER bods as they were such versatile and useful Engines. Almost as good as the SR S15s :picknose:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Mmmm? .

The large gap join between Cab and Boiler is very noticeable , the Cab Windows look a tad small, the front facing small cab window  on the "V" looks dreadful . Is the Dome a seperate moulding?. Superheater headers look slightly  shallow . Valve gear, lining and washout plugs are much better then the original version . Tender looks good, of what can be seen in the  photos.

Comparison photos

https://docbrown.info/docspics/ArchiveSteam/loco60800.htm

Edited by micklner
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

With regard to the V2 I have had one on pr-order now for around three years which is a ridiculous time to wait for an upgrade to an existing model.

When you see how quickly the the new smaller manufacturers are getting their designs to completion and delivery Bachmann are going to start losing out to these companies if they don't improve their production times.

The model itself is more detailed and looks a decent improvement on the previous one and certainly the chassis should be better plus DCC ready so I still look forward to receiving  mine, eventually!

Richard

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

17 hours ago, great northern said:

Right, I hope you have all been good, as you are getting a special treat. Andy Y has asked me to review the new Bachmann V2, the first samples of which are now in the UK, and this morning I have been to Barnwell to pick one up. This is one of a very limited number, they are not on general sale for a while yet.

So, St Peter's School York has been doing its running in on PN, and I've had a chance to get a good look at it. Andy has kindly said that I can post a few images on here, but please bear in mind that they are my copyright, and do not forward or reproduce them anywhere else.

OK, here we go, first of all, both sides of the loco.

1539835142_18471.JPG.4baddca9f231c65a5aa4d5615eec98fd.JPG

381471679_28472.JPG.db9a1a2d8ddb764bde6cd3187c465130.JPG

Rather difficult light conditions, but these give a good idea. Look at the richness and depth of that green.

I have one of the nearly 30 year old original models, still nearly in original condition, so I've put the two side by side.

2130730283_3comp.JPG.f500109b02a9a8a0e06c779c9dd335d4.JPG

60874 has the second Bachmann chassis, which replaced the split chassis a while back, but the chassis under 60847 is another entirely new one.

A couple of close ups to finish with for now.

601826763_4847gear.JPG.ff4980ebf1ee91a8604141ecf263c76c.JPG

532442612_5874gear.JPG.919d13fea0a7a3d2f4d6931248d31451.JPG

The loco has now been run in, so I will put it to work tomorrow to assess its haulage capacity. It has a good weight to it, so I don't anticipate any difficulties. This has sound too, so that will form part of my review.

Hi Gilbert

A stunning looking model, definitely one to save up for, for the future as they were regular visitors to Haymarket.

Love the green livery as well, what a shame Hornby could not have produced that shade  of Brunswick Green for their Thompson Pacific’s.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1