Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, richard.h said:

With regard to the V2 I have had one on pr-order now for around three years which is a ridiculous time to wait for an upgrade to an existing model.

When you see how quickly the the new smaller manufacturers are getting their designs to completion and delivery Bachmann are going to start losing out to these companies if they don't improve their production times.

The model itself is more detailed and looks a decent improvement on the previous one and certainly the chassis should be better plus DCC ready so I still look forward to receiving  mine, eventually!

Richard

But it isn't an upgrade Richard, it is an entirely new model, body, chassis and tender. I agree we have had a long wait, but Covid and its ramifications will have been a factor, and Bachmann had already acknowledged that they should only announce new models when they were near completion, which they now do.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, micklner said:

Mmmm? .

The large gap join between Cab and Boiler is very noticeable , the Cab Windows look a tad small, the front facing small cab window  on the "V" looks dreadful . Is the Dome a seperate moulding?. Superheater headers look slightly  shallow . Valve gear, lining and washout plugs are much better then the original version . Tender looks good, of what can be seen in the  photos.

Comparison photos

https://docbrown.info/docspics/ArchiveSteam/loco60800.htm

But bear in mind what the camera can and does do to accentuate things. The light was poor yesterday, and not much better this morning, but here are a few more images.

1044694440_1847threequarter.JPG.b73b6603943c86054aa87d010d32d481.JPG

Test running a Class C , 40 wagons and brake, but forgot to put lamps on. It dealt with this load as though it wasn't there.

Now some close ups.

907976203_2gap.JPG.a3edca06e3033ee68734608fbdb4e52b.JPG

Rather kinder to the window on the V front, I think. The camera still sees what it thinks is a gap though.

335586860_3cab.JPG.b0645841fa78952661f4dc69d3729919.JPG

We get closer to the truth in this view, but I can assure you that even now the camera is exaggerating that gap, which is not so noticeable to the naked eye. Personally, I am happier with the cab windows, having got this close up.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

23 minutes ago, great northern said:

But bear in mind what the camera can and does do to accentuate things. The light was poor yesterday, and not much better this morning, but here are a few more images.

1044694440_1847threequarter.JPG.b73b6603943c86054aa87d010d32d481.JPG

Test running a Class C , 40 wagons and brake, but forgot to put lamps on. It dealt with this load as though it wasn't there.

Now some close ups.

907976203_2gap.JPG.a3edca06e3033ee68734608fbdb4e52b.JPG

Rather kinder to the window on the V front, I think. The camera still sees what it thinks is a gap though.

335586860_3cab.JPG.b0645841fa78952661f4dc69d3729919.JPG

We get closer to the truth in this view, but I can assure you that even now the camera is exaggerating that gap, which is not so noticeable to the naked eye. Personally, I am happier with the cab windows, having got this close up.

Interesting

Bachmann have glazed the Rear Cab Window. Most unusual to see any Loco modelled as such, as the rear window is rarely seen closed on the prototype , perhaps not helped by the "Brown" timber surround on both windows making the windows looking even smaller.

Still not convinced re the Boiler/Cab gap, still looks very obvious in the photos, even in yesterdays distance photo of the two types of V2's together it was very obvious , luckily for the LNER version there should be  black/white lining in that area.

Thanks for the photos.

Edited by micklner
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

But it isn't an upgrade Richard, it is an entirely new model, body, chassis and tender. I agree we have had a long wait, but Covid and its ramifications will have been a factor, and Bachmann had already acknowledged that they should only announce new models when they were near completion, which they now do.

Yes, I realized as soon as I posted that I shouldn't have put upgrade it is indeed a new model but it is still an unacceptable wait  in my opinion.

The only loco that took a similar amount of time in my experience was the Heljan Garret and you were made aware at the time that due to the complexity of the project there would be a long wait for it. No such warning was given for the V2 so it has been in the production pipeline forever.

If Bachmann are only going to announce models nearing completion in the future then that is a step in the right direction otherwise if they don't then they will be outperformed by newer more nimble manufacturers.

2 minutes ago, richard.h said:

Yes, I realized as soon as I posted that I shouldn't have put upgrade it is indeed a new model but it is still an unacceptable wait  in my opinion.

The only loco that took a similar amount of time in my experience was the Heljan Garret and you were made aware at the time that due to the complexity of the project there would be a long wait for it. No such warning was given for the V2 so it has been in the production pipeline forever.

If Bachmann are only going to announce models nearing completion in the future then that is a step in the right direction otherwise if they don't then they will be outperformed by newer more nimble manufacturers.

The reality is that most models have a development phase lasting 2-3 years or longer. The mistake Bachmann have made in the past was to make announcements early in that development phase, whereas the likes of Hornby choose to make their announcements once development is at an advanced stage, usually within a year of release.

• Like 2

Thanks for showing the latest Bachmann V2 images Gilbert.

It does look very impressive.

What puzzles me are the spoked tender wheels. A glance at BookLaw's latest volume on the class (which is jolly good, apart from a few muddled-up locations) will reveal a shot of 60847 in exactly the same condition as depicted on the model; with disc tender wheels. 

In fact, though I've not looked through all my V2 pictures, I've yet to find a shot of a V2 tender with spoked wheels.

Shame about the wrong angle of the return crank on one side as well....................

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for posting these pictures Gilbert. Livery application is very good. Boiler shape great as is the loco 'face'. Rivets seem a bit heavy as is the boiler bands - aren't  the rivets on the smoke box slightly set back from the smoke box front? If it's it's not by much. Still not convinced of the valve gear. Agree on the cab window comments

But I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. Greatly improved model. Thanks again

Edited by davidw

One of my first impressions on seeing photos of the new Bachmann V2s is that the cab windows looked too small- that impression hasn't changed.

The V front to the cab is strange as it appears Bachmann have moulded a 'boiler band' to the front of the V adjacent to where it meets the firebox. This is not evident in any prototype photos. I'm not sure black and white lining will hide that. However, if like some other recent Bachmann models the body can be disassembled it might be possible to remove it?

I agree with the views about how heavy some of the rivets appear to be. Those at the front of the smokebox look to be positioned wrongly due the thickness of the smokebox front evident in the photos above.

I'm probably going to get 4791 so the rivets on the smokebox won't be an issue for me as the photos on the Bachmann site show it correctly has countersunk rivets on the smokebox.

I think Bachmann have missed a trick with the valve gear as it still quite heavy, particularly when compared to that on the Hornby A2/2 and A2/3. Its probably excessively noticeable because of the brightness of it. Once weathered it won't be as noticeable. It appears to me that at least one of the return cranks is actually centred.

Andrew

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for showing the latest Bachmann V2 images Gilbert.

It does look very impressive.

What puzzles me are the spoked tender wheels. A glance at BookLaw's latest volume on the class (which is jolly good, apart from a few muddled-up locations) will reveal a shot of 60847 in exactly the same condition as depicted on the model; with disc tender wheels. 

In fact, though I've not looked through all my V2 pictures, I've yet to find a shot of a V2 tender with spoked wheels.

Shame about the wrong angle of the return crank on one side as well....................

Regards,

Tony. 

Having read the above Tony, I have gone through the several volumes scattered around my lounge carpet, and tried to check up on this. I was totally unable to see whether any of the illustrated locos had disc wheels, or spoked ones, for that matter. Then I went upstairs, and found that if I get my head down to track level, I can just see the spokes on the model's tender. This may of course be down to the deficiencies of my eyes these days, but I seriously do think it is very hard to tell. I was sufficiently intrigued also to look through The Book of the V2's, Yeadon, and RCTS 6A, those being the ones which I thought might give information as to which type were used on V2 tenders, and found all were silent on that subject, so I don't know if the model is totally wrong, because all tenders had disc wheels, or might be wrong because some of them did.

If there were both types used, 847 would probably in its 27 years in service have towed both, so it may be wrong for the last few years of its life, but could well have been right for most of the rest. How much are we really entitled to expect manufacturers to do when researching a new model? They are certainly much better at it than they used to be, but are we entitled to expect perfection, and if so are we prepared to pay the extra cost that would be involved in getting a model absloutely right for the condition in which it may have run for a small proportion of its life? We are entitled to see properly proportioned chimneys and domes, and the right ones for the period modelled, but something which, if it can be seen at all, can only be seen on very close inspection, and about which the majority of prospective purchasers will neither know or care, is in my view raising the bar far too high.

Could you enlighten me on the book to which you are referring please? It may be one which I don't have, but should.

Of more importance I believe, is the fact that when tested with 14 RTR coaches behind it, the loco hauled that load without any slipping, or indeed any sign of labouring to do it. That's far more than most buyers will need it to do, but I reckon it is an impressive plus for the manufacturer.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, great northern said:

Having read the above Tony, I have gone through the several volumes scattered around my lounge carpet, and tried to check up on this. I was totally unable to see whether any of the illustrated locos had disc wheels, or spoked ones, for that matter. Then I went upstairs, and found that if I get my head down to track level, I can just see the spokes on the model's tender. This may of course be down to the deficiencies of my eyes these days, but I seriously do think it is very hard to tell. I was sufficiently intrigued also to look through The Book of the V2's, Yeadon, and RCTS 6A, those being the ones which I thought might give information as to which type were used on V2 tenders, and found all were silent on that subject, so I don't know if the model is totally wrong, because all tenders had disc wheels, or might be wrong because some of them did.

If there were both types used, 847 would probably in its 27 years in service have towed both, so it may be wrong for the last few years of its life, but could well have been right for most of the rest. How much are we really entitled to expect manufacturers to do when researching a new model? They are certainly much better at it than they used to be, but are we entitled to expect perfection, and if so are we prepared to pay the extra cost that would be involved in getting a model absloutely right for the condition in which it may have run for a small proportion of its life? We are entitled to see properly proportioned chimneys and domes, and the right ones for the period modelled, but something which, if it can be seen at all, can only be seen on very close inspection, and about which the majority of prospective purchasers will neither know or care, is in my view raising the bar far too high.

Could you enlighten me on the book to which you are referring please? It may be one which I don't have, but should.

Of more importance I believe, is the fact that when tested with 14 RTR coaches behind it, the loco hauled that load without any slipping, or indeed any sign of labouring to do it. That's far more than most buyers will need it to do, but I reckon it is an impressive plus for the manufacturer.

Thanks Gilbert,

I think it's pretty plain from your pictures that the loco has a tender with spoked wheels. 

I don't think it's a question of having to pay more (as you imply) because a loco has disc tender wheels. All the previous Bachmann V2 manifestations have disc tender wheels, so I don't see a problem. I've been looking at more V2 pictures; while I grant you, it is difficult to tell what type of wheels are fitted to the tenders in many (even most?) cases, where one can tell, they're all discs. 

Are you sure the majority of purchasers won't know or won't care about those wheels? 

When I tested the pre-production Bachmann V2s at the end of 2019, I, too, was very impressed with their haulage capacities. 

1071547190_newBachmannV203email.jpg.d880cacc56b0e4c088b85137c1cc31ca.jpg

778552084_newBachmannV204email.jpg.9a248cc9e225f2fad731e64067794ae1.jpg

Though I accept it's difficult to tell..............

427213047_newBachmannV205.jpg.1a7997d946703d85aec9617fa4c634d3.jpg

1965557437_newBachmannV206.jpg.4cdb3f4668d98a702c4879766387d29c.jpg

The tenders with these had disc wheels. 

And now, by way of a comparison...........

78959562_3860847DJHdrive.jpg.cf131cfe3b27614a7f97423499c5e6cd.jpg

My own model of 60847, built from a much-modified Crownline kit (towing a Bachmann tender with disc wheels, which are very easy to see). 

In many ways, the latest RTR manifestation will probably be superior (even though this one has an Ian Rathbone paint job). 

Finally, the book I mentioned is An Illustrated Appreciation: 2 Gresley V2's (with the unnecessary apostrophe!), just published by BookLaw. An excellent resource.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Gilbert,

I think it's pretty plain from your pictures that the loco has a tender with spoked wheels. 

I don't think it's a question of having to pay more (as you imply) because a loco has disc tender wheels. All the previous Bachmann V2 manifestations have disc tender wheels, so I don't see a problem. I've been looking at more V2 pictures; while I grant you, it is difficult to tell what type of wheels are fitted to the tenders in many (even most?) cases, where one can tell, they're all discs. 

Are you sure the majority of purchasers won't know or won't care about those wheels? 

When I tested the pre-production Bachmann V2s at the end of 2019, I, too, was very impressed with their haulage capacities. 

My own model of 60847, built from a much-modified Crownline kit (towing a Bachmann tender with disc wheels, which are very easy to see). 

In many ways, the latest RTR manifestation will probably be superior (even though this one has an Ian Rathbone paint job). 

Finally, the book I mentioned is An Illustrated Appreciation: 2 Gresley V2's (with the unnecessary apostrophe!), just published by BookLaw. An excellent resource.

Regards,

Tony. 

I wonder if this is a case of Chinese factoryitis.
By that I mean, they chucked spokes in this one and the others may have discs. I have had that with Bachmann locos in the past. I have three N Class Moguls, two disc wheeled tenders, one spoked tender.
We shall see when they become available in numbers.
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I wonder if this is a case of Chinese factoryitis.
By that I mean, they chucked spokes in this one and the others may have discs. I have had that with Bachmann locos in the past. I have three N Class Moguls, two disc wheeled tenders, one spoked tender.
We shall see when they become available in numbers.
Chris.

It might be Chris,

I certainly don't know.

In the past (where I've used them, because they're very good) all the Bachmann 4200 GS tenders I've had (still have) had disc wheels (B1, V2, etc.). Granted, earlier ones had to have their wheels replaced because of over-scale flanges, but later ones were generally OK (for FS OO). 

When I had the pre-production ones to assess at the end of 2019, I'm sure their tenders had disc wheels, but whether they were held in a sub-frame or the 'normal' Bachmann method of by the tender frames, I don't know. Certainly (for a model, even though it's not prototypical) the best practice to retain tender wheels is in a sub-frame. When one of the Bachmann team came round to visit Little Bytham a month ago he said he'll send me/bring me a production V2 for assessment, so I'll know for certain all the details then. Without doubt, the new V2 is going to be an outstanding model, if my examining of the pre-production examples is anything to go by. One thing I didn't know (and thus never incorporated it into the score - and more - V2 models I've built) was that the lubricators on the nearside footplate were off-set from each other.

425952585_newBachmannV201.jpg.d7d648804f4ed732f1e3d3de15c39aff.jpg

An eye for detail indeed! 

A putative plan, when the production V2s are generally available, is to give them a run on Little Bytham, taking moving footage as the various manifestations bowl round (this is for advertising and promotional purposes). By just tapping into two wires, LB can become DCC, with all the functionality that allows. Why LB? Because (at 32' x 12') it's big enough to show the full haulage capacity of any new models and be able to run them at high speed as well. It's certainly worked in the past. 

To close, from what I've seen, these new Bachmann V2s go beyond the £200.00 'barrier', so (perhaps?) more might be expected - the correct-type tender wheels, for example. When I queried why the real TORNADO had spoked tender wheels, I was told they were cheaper to make than equivalent discs.................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

In the past (where I've used them, because they're very good) all the Bachmann 4200 GS tenders I've had (still have) had disc wheels (B1, V2, etc.)

The Pro-scale kit that I am constructing may have many faults but it does have disc wheels for the tender!!

The new Bachmann V2 looks to be very fine to me and judging from the pre-production version that Gilbert tested, with a very good shot at BR Express Passenger Livery, so well done.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

The Pro-scale kit that I am constructing may have many faults but it does have disc wheels for the tender!!

The new Bachmann V2 looks to be very fine to me and judging from the pre-production version that Gilbert tested, with a very good shot at BR Express Passenger Livery, so well done.

Kind regards,

Richard B

This is the final production model Richard, sent over by air to enable magazine reviews. The main batch will come by sea, of course, and should be here in a few weeks time. So, for better or for worse, what you see is what you will get.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Gilbert,

Regards,

Tony. 

Some years ago, the very experienced manager at Gee Dee models and I listened to a conversation between a gent gazing at the Hornby display and his wife. "What colour engine are you going to get today dear", she asked. "I think I'll have a red one", said he. "But you've already got a red one dear"! After they had gone, (he bought a green one), the manager told me to stop laughing, as that chap represented 90% of the people he sold things to, and that he'd have gone out of business years ago if he had to rely on people like me.

Another day, he tried very hard to explain to a customer why the loco he liked wasn't appropriate for the coaches he wanted. The guy bought what he liked. We are rather insulated from the real world on here, as most of us have considerable knowledge about railway related matters. Most punters don't, they get what they like, and why shouldn't they? Will they care if I put in my review that V2s were RA9, and very restricted as to where they could run? No, because very few people have the space that we lucky few have managed to create or acquire, so they are going to run it on four coaches, which is all they can manage. They could not care less what tender wheels can hardly be seen under the V2.

What I meant about paying more was a general point regarding fine detail, which we know should be there, but isn't, or which we don't think is modelled well enough. It is that sort of detail that has to be added by hand, and that will increase cost now that chinese ladies with very dexterous hands are finally being paid something like a living wage.

Thanks for the reference for the book. I don't have it, but I will soon.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It might be Chris,

I certainly don't know.

In the past (where I've used them, because they're very good) all the Bachmann 4200 GS tenders I've had (still have) had disc wheels (B1, V2, etc.). Granted, earlier ones had to have their wheels replaced because of over-scale flanges, but later ones were generally OK (for FS OO). 

When I had the pre-production ones to assess at the end of 2019, I'm sure their tenders had disc wheels, but whether they were held in a sub-frame or the 'normal' Bachmann method of by the tender frames, I don't know. Certainly (for a model, even though it's not prototypical) the best practice to retain tender wheels is in a sub-frame. When one of the Bachmann team came round to visit Little Bytham a month ago he said he'll send me/bring me a production V2 for assessment, so I'll know for certain all the details then. Without doubt, the new V2 is going to be an outstanding model, if my examining of the pre-production examples is anything to go by. One thing I didn't know (and thus never incorporated it into the score - and more - V2 models I've built) was that the lubricators on the nearside footplate were off-set from each other.

425952585_newBachmannV201.jpg.d7d648804f4ed732f1e3d3de15c39aff.jpg

An eye for detail indeed! 

A putative plan, when the production V2s are generally available, is to give them a run on Little Bytham, taking moving footage as the various manifestations bowl round (this is for advertising and promotional purposes). By just tapping into two wires, LB can become DCC, with all the functionality that allows. Why LB? Because (at 32' x 12') it's big enough to show the full haulage capacity of any new models and be able to run them at high speed as well. It's certainly worked in the past. 

To close, from what I've seen, these new Bachmann V2s go beyond the £200.00 'barrier', so (perhaps?) more might be expected - the correct-type tender wheels, for example. When I queried why the real TORNADO had spoked tender wheels, I was told they were cheaper to make than equivalent discs.................

Regards,

Tony. 

My loco hauled 14 RTR MK1s round PN yesterday Tony, and looked as though it could have handled a few more. I ran it at full speed too, and even on my curves through the fiddle yard, nothing came off. I'm going to try it with kit built coaches later, but I have a few chores to do first.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, great northern said:

Some years ago, the very experienced manager at Gee Dee models and I listened to a conversation between a gent gazing at the Hornby display and his wife. "What colour engine are you going to get today dear", she asked. "I think I'll have a red one", said he. "But you've already got a red one dear"! After they had gone, (he bought a green one), the manager told me to stop laughing, as that chap represented 90% of the people he sold things to, and that he'd have gone out of business years ago if he had to rely on people like me.

Another day, he tried very hard to explain to a customer why the loco he liked wasn't appropriate for the coaches he wanted. The guy bought what he liked. We are rather insulated from the real world on here, as most of us have considerable knowledge about railway related matters. Most punters don't, they get what they like, and why shouldn't they? Will they care if I put in my review that V2s were RA9, and very restricted as to where they could run? No, because very few people have the space that we lucky few have managed to create or acquire, so they are going to run it on four coaches, which is all they can manage. They could not care less what tender wheels can hardly be seen under the V2.

What I meant about paying more was a general point regarding fine detail, which we know should be there, but isn't, or which we don't think is modelled well enough. It is that sort of detail that has to be added by hand, and that will increase cost now that chinese ladies with very dexterous hands are finally being paid something like a living wage.

Thanks Gilbert,

I'll not labour the point further, because you're quite right about the percentage of 'non-modellers' (is that the right description?) out there. That said, though that percentage won't have a clue about what's right or wrong with a model, a small percentage will; and be concerned as to whether a loco's tender has the correct wheels.

I've looked some more, and I cannot find a prototype picture of a V2 with a tender running on spoked wheels. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, great northern said:

Well, bully for the manager trying to put the punter on the path of righteousness. A thankless task at the best of times. 

I was in a model shop, and picked up a Hornby Maunsell in olive livery, and another in BR(S) green. I was told in no uncertain terms that these were from very different periods - true. I had to point out that Hornby's versions of malachite green and BR(S) green on their Maunsells are identical to most eyes, and so I could remove the BR(S) lettering and apply Southern equivalents, thus having two vehicles which would have been seen together post-war.....  He did look a little crestfallen, and I heard the lad on the till snigger!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

This doesn't look right.

928791728_Thatdontlookright.jpg.e5e21ef33fb6ecb025af31b31045fe2c.jpg

But what would I know I am mere modern image modeller who makes things out of plastic.

That's because it isn't right!  I did have a brief chat with Richard at Barwell, and I asked him about this. His reply was that it is a separate moulding, but that doesn't tell me why it is not flush or nearly so with the rivets on the smokebox, or if it can't be done, why. Perceptions are highly personal, but in this case mine is that this does let the model down, and so it will be mentioned in my review. It is an obvious departure from the prototype, and very easily seen. That's why I feel it should be mentioned, whereas the tender wheels can't, unless one looks closely.

• Informative/Useful 3

40 minutes ago, great northern said:

That's because it isn't right!  I did have a brief chat with Richard at Barwell, and I asked him about this. His reply was that it is a separate moulding, but that doesn't tell me why it is not flush or nearly so with the rivets on the smokebox, or if it can't be done, why. Perceptions are highly personal, but in this case mine is that this does let the model down, and so it will be mentioned in my review. It is an obvious departure from the prototype, and very easily seen. That's why I feel it should be mentioned, whereas the tender wheels can't, unless one looks closely.

This is one of the points I mentioned on the previous page. It probably won't be so obvious on an LNER period loco with countersunk rivets. I might look into slicing the smokebox front off when I get it and reseating it the mm or so further back- might depend on the actual length they've made the smokebox?

Further to my comment on the previous page about the extra moulding on the V front of the cab - removing that might open up the gap between cab and firebox?

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Interesting about the axle loading Gilbert.
I have a soft spot for V2s. I run a Jamieson kit-build one . Yes, I know there are problems with the kit. It was built using a photo of one I saw at York, as a boy.
Can I run it at Manc/Oldham Rd.? Yes. There was one freight diag, that came to Manc. over the Calder Valley route. The loco was so close to being overweight, that it got sent back by return as a light engine, if there was no return load.
That's how I justify my ancient kit built V2. XO4, worm and gear drive and all.
I love her.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 4