Peterborough North

great northern

3 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Interesting about the axle loading Gilbert.
I have a soft spot for V2s. I run a Jamieson kit-build one . Yes, I know there are problems with the kit. It was built using a photo of one I saw at York, as a boy.
Can I run it at Manc/Oldham Rd.? Yes. There was one freight diag, that came to Manc. over the Calder Valley route. The loco was so close to being overweight, that it got sent back by return as a light engine, if there was no return load.
That's how I justify my ancient kit built V2. XO4, worm and gear drive and all.
I love her.
Regards,
Chris.

Good evening Chris,

May we see your Jamieson V2, please? I know Gilbert's thread is really about Peterborough North, but I'm always fascinated to see others' work. I'm sure if Gilbert objects, he'll tell us. 

I built this Jamieson V2 in 1979.

779329297_V260821Jamieson.jpg.a09954be3da7e6fc55bf16692686b4d4.jpg

It's on Wright writes as well, where V2s are also being discussed. Despite its age, it still sees service. 

Just because Jamieson kits are old, doesn't mean they can't still be built into 'acceptable models, does it?

783472882_JamiesonV2unpainted.jpg.6e375c7e009c61e03749fe0b2d8dedaa.jpg

I built this one about three years ago, making a DMR tender to go with it (which, as can be seen, has the correct disc wheels). 

Yes, there are deficiencies. I've since closed the gap at the bottom of the boiler prior to its being painted, but I should have carved off that ugly smokebox dart and replaced it with a separate one. 

Gilbert has shown us how good the forthcoming new Bachmann RTR V2 is. It's certainly superior to this pair, but will it mean I'll build no more V2s from whatever source? No. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8

She's thirty years old now.
I bought her, part built at Banbury show, I think in the late 80s.
She was built for me by a Jamieson master Brian Wiltshire. Coachbogie's Dad.
He was a kit building mentor to me and is much missed.
She's basic, but I love her.
Chris.

IMG_20210911_194558.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

I meant to ask, are Bachmann going to produce the different variants of the V2.?
Double chimney, inside steampipes as well as the variant illustrated.
Chris.

In this first batch, inside steampipes in BR black and apple green. I've no doubt they will do a double chimney version at some stage, as they have in the past with the original model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Well, bully for the manager trying to put the punter on the path of righteousness. A thankless task at the best of times. 

I was in a model shop, and picked up a Hornby Maunsell in olive livery, and another in BR(S) green. I was told in no uncertain terms that these were from very different periods - true. I had to point out that Hornby's versions of malachite green and BR(S) green on their Maunsells are identical to most eyes, and so I could remove the BR(S) lettering and apply Southern equivalents, thus having two vehicles which would have been seen together post-war.....  He did look a little crestfallen, and I heard the lad on the till snigger!

Hello everyone

Further on this subject...

I was once in a model shop which was owned by a respected GWR modeller. A customer was saying that he had a 14xx loco and was looking for 'something passenger' for it to haul.

As one would expect, the owner showed the customer a B-set and an Autocoach - dutifully explaining the ins and outs of both types.

What did the customer buy...?

Half a B-set!

The owner glanced across the shop to me and we both rolled our eyes.:rolleyes:

Brian

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

A quick move round to the other side reveals the B17 to be Gayton Hall, which will be coming off here, and will be replaced by a Midland engine.

930909330_31641.JPG.f108faa9b0d8c9eb70b9cb8abb013e9d.JPG

If we had a poll to find the best view on PN, I reckon this one would be hard to beat.

It’s good Gilbert and certainly shows off your station buildings. But for me the best view is down trains departing taken from the bridge at the North end.

• Like 3

On 10/09/2021 at 15:25, Woodcock29 said:

The V front to the cab is strange as it appears Bachmann have moulded a 'boiler band' to the front of the V adjacent to where it meets the firebox. This is not evident in any prototype photos. I'm not sure black and white lining will hide that. However, if like some other recent Bachmann models the body can be disassembled it might be possible to remove it?

IMG_8470.JPG.d39ebfddba0d3b10d73e2428beae563f.JPG

• Like 2

The front smokebox door hinges are also missing the distinctive "horns" that limit the opening:

IMG_8404.JPG.6e9627a23be2973180c14ebabba1b8a0.JPG

In fairness to Gilbert I guess we should be commenting on this model in a Bachmann thread rather than clutter up Peterborough North.

Edited by MikeTrice
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

I've had another look while wearing my extreme close up glasses, and with plenty of light. I think the answer is quite simply that the two components, firebox and cab, just don't meet up absolutely flush. I got my Hornby A2/2 out and looked at the join on that, and once again, there is just a very slight gap. Something the manufacturing process can't quite deal with, maybe?

With a kit built loco, one would deal with this with filler or soldering of the seam, but neither can be done with plastic, I think. Not very well phrased, was it? Even I wouldn't try to solder plastic.

Edited by great northern
to correct stupidity
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/09/2021 at 08:08, manna said:

G'Day Folks

This may be a A2/2.........but, interesting.

manna

1710099094_60502capture1.jpg.0d61a493de4768895417474977d244c7.jpg

Well, I was completely not hunting for it, but after seeing this photo on Saturday, the following last segment of video struck me as VERY familiar! Just magic stuff.

The link is time cued so should play right at the appropriate time. If not, it is the very last scene, around 24:50.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

A most interesting photo. Thanks Mike looks like I was wrong about the 'band' on the edge of the V.

The only time I've seen 4771 was my first trip back to UK in 1981. The photos then were slides although I took a range of views I've not yet bothered to find them - looks like I should!

Its interesting the handrails are black - I've always imagined they were green on the green parts of a loco.

Andrew

4 hours ago, 69843 said:

Well, I was completely not hunting for it, but after seeing this photo on Saturday, the following last segment of video struck me as VERY familiar! Just magic stuff.

The link is time cued so should play right at the appropriate time. If not, it is the very last scene, around 24:50.

The stock in the A2/2s train is incredible!
Is that a Coronation twin at the front, still in blue and white livery, followed by a Thompson corridor in painted teak livery, as well as two Gresley sleeping cars?
Remarkable.
Chris.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sandhole said:

The stock in the A2/2s train is incredible!
Is that a Coronation twin at the front, still in blue and white livery, followed by a Thompson corridor in painted teak livery, as well as two Gresley sleeping cars?
Remarkable.
Chris.

and a 'Banker'? If so, why?

P

• RMweb Gold
On 13/09/2021 at 10:11, MikeTrice said:

I think the problem (and there is a problem) is that Bachmann have made more of a 'feature' of this than exists on the prototype. They have made the piece (handily painted black on 4771) in two parts, one on the firebox the other on the cab. The cab part is far too heavily rendered (heavier than the previous model). This significantly alters the look of the cab. This visual issue plus the issue with the smokebox, the chunky looking rods and valve gear plus the small looking cabside  windows (and the curious choice of glazing the second window)  have led me to cancel my pre order. Not saying I wont buy one but want to see it in the flesh first. The tender wheel mistake is disappointing and should have been picked up. The price is what the manufacturer chooses to charge, I have no issue with that but it is strong when compared to the newly announced Brush Type 4/ Class 47 which has a significantly higher specification and greater attention to detail than is evident with the V2.

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Agree 2