Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I attach a close up of a loco for comparison with the model in respect of the spectacle plate strip at the firebox side.

Hope that you do not mind as I could not find anything on the Bachmann section here.

Eric

389964068_(2).jpg.05ba41d8edee80df47b3734b739ced76.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 12/09/2021 at 22:00, great northern said:

60501 again this evening, in black and white, and resting at Platform 3.

113827679_55012.JPG.083708967c1d4b17c728b7ff5b584f53.JPG

This has been a frustrating day. I have to change the identity of my lovely new V2, as it is too late for 1958, so I've been looking for suitable locos that it could become. There weren't all that many with outside steam pipes by 1958, and I soon found that most of those that had them were north east based, the majority at Heaton. Was there some secret arrangement between that shed and Darlington works, I wonder?As Heaton engines were rarely seen south of New England, they were out, and when I narrowed it down more I was left with just three to choose from, 60821 of Grantham, 60856 of York, or 60859 of Copley Hill. I have plenty of southern area V2s, so a York one for the KX Goods to Dringhouses Class Cs seemed a good idea.

I'd already spent some time looking for a 1958 image of 60856, but neither my quite extensive book collection nor the Internet came up with any. This afternoon though I found one more book I had overlooked, and there was a 1959 photo of 60856...... with a flared tender. The one I reviewed, and which I get to keep, has a straight sided one of course. Tracking back to 856's last overhaul, it became clear there wouldn't have been a tender change between then and 1959, so that's that. 184 engines,and only 11 flared tenders. One of those stayed with the same engine all its life, so there were only 10 that could frustrate me, and against high odds, one did.

So 60859 it will be. That shed did also have braked goods diagrams to London, and I have a good and relaible image showing it with a straight sided tender in my period, so that's OK. Took quite a while to get there though.

Good morning Gilbert,

How common were Ardsley-based V2s at PN? 

There's a splendid picture of 60846 reversing off Grantham shed, facing south, in August 1958 in the latest BookLaw book I mentioned on the class (the caption says it's running on to the shed, but it's in reverse gear). In the shot, it's the same as your model - outside steam pipes and straight-sided tender. It's very dirty, and has AWS fitted. A possible contender for Tim's handiwork? 

In the same book (every V2 is illustrated) on the next page is a shot of 60847 in exactly the same, ex-works condition as your new model; taken in November 1961!

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

A great thing about all this discussion of tender wheels is that I will never be able to see a photo of an engine in the future without checking to see what kind is being used!  I promise.

The other strange thing I had never heard of was "St. Peter's School" until idly googling the web, came across the fact that my father had been a pupil there in 1921.

I think I will have to put this engine on my wishlist.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks 60027Merlin. This is what I mean when I say the join between the firebox and the cab front is over emphasised and makes the front windows looked squashed. Doesn’t capture the clean Gresley lines for me (or to put it wan other way if Thompson had designed the V2s lol ) 

B308934E-AFF3-43AC-9857-7165BC6228B5.png

D26232A7-C3CA-4986-A268-A85FE52840D0.png

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edward said:

A great thing about all this discussion of tender wheels is that I will never be able to see a photo of an engine in the future without checking to see what kind is being used!  I promise.

The other strange thing I had never heard of was "St. Peter's School" until idly googling the web, came across the fact that my father had been a pupil there in 1921.

I think I will have to put this engine on my wishlist.

Without wishing to be unduly contentious, may I ask this. If  you discovered the tender wheels to be the wrong type, would that alone cause you to decide not to buy a model? My view is that on any RTR model there will be things that are wrong. They may be mistakes by the manufacturer in the tooling process, lack of proper research, or quite possibly things in the manufacturing process that just aren't able to reproduce some detail with complete fidelity. There is the question of cost too. Will any sane manufacturer go to extreme lengths to get every single detail correct, even if it is possible, if the result will be that the price will be so high that prospective purchasers in droves will be put off buying?

In the case of the Bachmann V2, one has to look closely to see what type the tender wheels are. Does the fact that they may be the wrong type unduly detract from the overall impression of the model?  And is that sufficient to cause a decision not to buy it? That has to come down to a matter of personal preference, and I would suggest that it is not going to concern the majority of prospective purchasers.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Without wishing to be unduly contentious, may I ask this. If  you discovered the tender wheels to be the wrong type, would that alone cause you to decide not to buy a model? My view is that on any RTR model there will be things that are wrong. They may be mistakes by the manufacturer in the tooling process, lack of proper research, or quite possibly things in the manufacturing process that just aren't able to reproduce some detail with complete fidelity. There is the question of cost too. Will any sane manufacturer go to extreme lengths to get every single detail correct, even if it is possible, if the result will be that the price will be so high that prospective purchasers in droves will be put off buying?

In the case of the Bachmann V2, one has to look closely to see what type the tender wheels are. Does the fact that they may be the wrong type unduly detract from the overall impression of the model?  And is that sufficient to cause a decision not to buy it? That has to come down to a matter of personal preference, and I would suggest that it is not going to concern the majority of prospective purchasers.

Hi Gilbert

First of  all thank you for taking the time to test run the model and photograph it as well.

I was completely ignorant to what wheels the tender had anyway.

I still think it’s a superb model and when funds are available will definitely purchase one.

Just one comment, it was pointed out that the model in question had rivets around the edge of the smoke box next to the door which I believe was quoted as being incorrect, but the V2 photo on the front cover of the book Tony posted has exactly that?

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

First of  all thank you for taking the time to test run the model and photograph it as well.

I was completely ignorant to what wheels the tender had anyway.

I still think it’s a superb model and when funds are available will definitely purchase one.

Just one comment, it was pointed out that the model in question had rivets around the edge of the smoke box next to the door which I believe was quoted as being incorrect, but the V2 photo on the front cover of the book Tony posted has exactly that?

Regards

David

Rivets round the smokebox are correct, though I think some consider them to be over scale on the model. The problem is the thickness of the door itself, which should be effectlvely flush with the front of it.That also existed on the pre production samples which we saw some months back. Andy Y is contacting Bachmann to get their comments on that, and indeed on the tender wheels. It would, I think, be a good idea if further speculation ceased until a reply is forthcoming.

Overall, an excellent model, I agree, despite the deficiencies which have been raised. The one I can't live with is that fat smokebox door, so Tim will be dealing with it when the loco goes home with him next week.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cos I have one and it has the right type of tender wheels, wrong type of tender and the number but the right type of tender wheels.

I suspect you may be being naughty Clive, but that wouldn't be like you, would it? How about if we swop tender wheels? Then yours would be all wrong, but mine would be all right.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, great northern said:

I suspect you may be being naughty Clive, but that wouldn't be like you, would it? How about if we swop tender wheels? Then yours would be all wrong, but mine would be all right.

When I asked you and Steve what was wrong with mine and Steve said "Where do I start?"I thought  "I am not too sure it is right even with a crew, real coal and wonky lamps." And no tension lock coupling on the front. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I might buy/ borrow, steal, imagine a filthy old black one, with early markings, from circa 1955/56. I shall have to look carefully at which were transferred to the SR for a period at that time. CBA about the tender wheels; Mr Jackson (RIP) CBA to use Pony wheels on most of his engines so why should I be arsed about Tender wheels that you cant see unless the damn thing falls off or you stick your noggin so close to the track that you get electrocuted by Volts.

However, I have to agree with comments about the 'orrid Cab front/lump/gap and thus the window that looks daft; that really does show up doesn't it. Things like Chimney, Dome, Cab and Smokebox must look correct and in proportion, with correct fittings if possible, as they are always in view. Undergubbins can be a little simpler, as these are really only toys after all, aren't they?

Mad Duck from 36E

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I might buy/ borrow, steal, imagine a filthy old black one, with early markings, from circa 1955/56. I shall have to look carefully at which were transferred to the SR for a period at that time. 

Mad Duck from 36E

'ere comrade Ducks...

"In May 1953 V2 2-6-2s 60893, 60896, 60908, 60916, 60917, 60928 were transferred on loan to Nine Elms, for two months." 

Something to do with the Packets throwing wobblies with their cranks or summut?

cheers

Dubs

Edited by Tim Dubya
New spectacles
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, great northern said:

No it wouldn't. But other issues  may. I'd like to see it inthe flesh. Not long to go.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

'ere comrade Ducks...

"In May 1953 V2 2-6-2s 60893, 60896, 60908, 60916, 60917, 60928 were transferred on loan to Nine Elms, for two months." 

Something to do with the Packets throwing wobblies with their cranks or summut?

cheers

Dubs

Yo. Yup, Bulleids were Cranks as was the inventor. I know that is rude bit I don't GAF.

Merci Monsewer.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the V2 looks great but I shall decline for the time being as I refuse to pay over £200 for a RTR 00 loco. Call me tight if you like but the way things are going, if this sells well then the next one will be nearer £300.

I make an exception for kits - I can’t build them quickly enough to seriously dent my wallet but buying RTR is just too easy!

Andy

• Agree 3