Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
On 15/09/2021 at 12:34, great northern said:

Without wishing to be unduly contentious, may I ask this. If  you discovered the tender wheels to be the wrong type, would that alone cause you to decide not to buy a model? My view is that on any RTR model there will be things that are wrong. They may be mistakes by the manufacturer in the tooling process, lack of proper research, or quite possibly things in the manufacturing process that just aren't able to reproduce some detail with complete fidelity. There is the question of cost too. Will any sane manufacturer go to extreme lengths to get every single detail correct, even if it is possible, if the result will be that the price will be so high that prospective purchasers in droves will be put off buying?

In the case of the Bachmann V2, one has to look closely to see what type the tender wheels are. Does the fact that they may be the wrong type unduly detract from the overall impression of the model?  And is that sufficient to cause a decision not to buy it? That has to come down to a matter of personal preference, and I would suggest that it is not going to concern the majority of prospective purchasers.

I think the answer would be yes to a purchase.  As a modeller one has to make many decisions right from the outset ranging from the fundamental such as which scale, era, type of rail & gauge let alone where do my interests lie : fact or fictional setting.  So when on the rare occasion a manufacturer produces a model which fits the basic criteria,  you are more likely than not to buy it. ( Of course assuming it is within your budget), I agree that its general appearance rather than particular details would be more important. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, great northern said:

Lovely day today, as I had a visit from our duck and 31A Steve. Clive should have been with us too, but sadly he isn't feeling too well at the moment. Anyway, two more people have now been able to see the V2 in the flesh, as it were, to watch it run, and to hear it too. I shall leave them, should they so wish, to give you their views about it.

Yes it was a lovely day, to be able to just sit and chat about model and real railway matters, share a generous lunch (sorry Clive!), and admire Peterborough North again.

And a real privilege to  be able to admire the new V2 model 'in the flesh'.  I'm sure many of  the niggles expressed further up the thread would evaporate when the actual model is seen; most concerns raised seemed to be a case of unfair exposure by enlarged digital photography viewed on computer screens, and we were able to see how clearly it is a huge step forward when compared to its 30+ years old predecessor.  Gilbert demonstrated its exemplary performance and sound system, and we saw it pulling the 40 wagon train round the layout (with relatively tight curves at each end) with apparent ease and no sign of slipping.

I tried to get him to part with it, to no avail.  And I now know that the 'boxes' on the front of the old V2 model's tender have been wrong all along!

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, great northern said:

Lovely day today, as I had a visit from our duck and 31A Steve. Clive should have been with us too, but sadly he isn't feeling too well at the moment. Anyway, two more people have now been able to see the V2 in the flesh, as it were, to watch it run, and to hear it too. I shall leave them, should they so wish, to give you their views about it.

Some looking at books, talking about V2s on the Southern, and other things, but just great to be able to spend a pleasant few hours with friends again.

Now to a train, though this one had arrived some days ago, and left long before the guys arrived. This is the 2.52 Newcastle, a Friday relief to the 3.10. It has a Grantham A3, and a cameraman who is extremely foolhardly, even if he has some one on the platform ready to shout "Its behind you".

1442068854_465.JPG.f918552ecdb90fc68651d829122d6de4.JPG

I reckon the footsteps of the A3 will get him anyway.

Never stand in the 6 foot way!

Paul

p.s. The V2 is impressive.  Perhaps a side by side 3/4 front photo with original model by Bachman will help to show the improvements?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Never stand in the 6 foot way!

Paul

p.s. The V2 is impressive.  Perhaps a side by side 3/4 front photo with original model by Bachman will help to show the improvements?

The problem is Paul, that the camera does lie, or at least in can when I'm behind it. It really is hard to explain how some of the apparent defects that people have seen from my earlier photos either don't exist at all, or have been considerably magnified. Seeing is believing. I understand that the gap between the arrival of air freighted locos for review, and the production run, is normally about six weeks. We live in abnormal times, but hopefully it won't be too long before everyone can see them for themselves.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yo. I have awoken after a great day at PN, great company, but missing a poorly pal, sadly. 

I took my own victuals as I have issues with food intolerance. Not only am I an intolerant old git, but I am also a food intolerance old git. Eat (see what I did there?)  your heart out Meldrew.

I learned More about V2s than 1940s German Scientists.

Boxes on the Tender front Plate, verboten. Pathetic, deflated Domes, verboten. Horrible shape Boilers, verboten. Daft shape Fireboxes, verboten. In fact, all historic errors......verboten.

The New version of this particular V2 is excellent. The improved Tender is a huge improvement; as for type of wheels it has at this time, well I couldn't see them until the loco was lifted off the track (very carefully) and even then I had to stick my nose into the side frames. 

Ran as smooth as a smoothy and has real power and excellent slow control. Sound programme is rather complex for a dullard like myself, but it sounds like an ex works V2...that is, weird!  

As a small criticism, I would agree that the SB Door is too thick when viewed from the side, however I would not have noted that without having been shown the pics of the real things.

I have a passing interest in these Engines due to a 1953 incident, on the WOEML, at Crewkerne.  

I noted the following for loaned Engines to Western Division on the SR:

front footsteps removed and C0ck Pipes supported by strip of metal suspended from FP;

it was also pointed out that an additional Lamp Iron was attached to front right on the SB Door as you view from front.  Thanks Steve.

I also noted something and being smug I thought that that it  would  cause an eruption of froth. I was totally wrong however and the rear Pony Truck plates may well need to be smoothed off, if anyone can be arsed to bother to do that. Can they, will they? Really?

I won't buy this beautiful Green (Congrats Baccy) version, but I would buy a single Chimney Black one with early 50s markings and no steam pipes and I have almost zero need for one.

Apart from that PN looked as good as ever and I now have some extra Books to keep me busy (thanks G) and a few bits and pieces of  extra Stock (thanks Steve).

Phil

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Deffo SR Black with a suitable Coating of Nine Elms crud.

P

These engines came from either New England or Doncaster, so no additional crud would have been needed. The chances of either shed cleaning them before sending then down south would be minimal, and the chances of a nice clean newly outshopped engine being sent would be nil.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 18/09/2021 at 13:44, great northern said:

Once more, the view from Spital Bridge.

1358293802_1651.JPG.e955466fbb07a97b240ab0950acd3e19.JPG

I do wish I could push the outside wall back a bit, so that I could get the loco more in the middle of the composition. If I did though, I'd have quite a long fall into the pond.

I know you requested that I do not post here again Gilbert but this lovely shot really does evoke the real thing, super modelling even if the extra tracks are in the imagination..

pic removed as copyright unclear   Sorry.

Edited by robmcg
copyright issue
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, robmcg said:

I know you requested that I do not post here again Gilbert but this lovely shot really does evoke the real thing, super modelling even if the xtra tracks are in the imagination..

PN_60983_V2_Image2.jpg.7ec9f01ce183721fc7b0165d7f3b3ae8.jpg

Will remove if I have caused offence.

Copyright?