Peterborough North

great northern

5 hours ago, great northern said:

2098620853_9pos3.JPG.6c7c2e729882d295243aa5864c397f4b.JPG

Generally I prefer longer shots as it creates a greater depth to the image, but this is difficult to recreate in 4mm without taken multiple images at different focal points.
But this one (the 3rd shot) gets my vote. It's a great setting with the signal box on the right, loco in the centre and the train curving away to the left. 
It just looks 'sharper' than the other two.

But that's my 2 cents. or bob, depending on where you come from...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, great northern said:

Clean B17 on its way for servicing, possibly to New England, but more likely, I think, to Spital Bridge. The A3 has replaced it, and will soon be on its way home.

1086080355_6702.JPG.dc77b75e1e09e82337b3ffe2bd073c10.JPG

I've got the Peter Tuffery book on the A3s  much dirtier than that.

4 minutes ago, great northern said:

Sadly, a lot of them were that bad. Tom Wright weathered this for me about 25 years ago, and I think I gave it back to him three times with the instruction "more dirt".

I think our messages crossed

On 27/11/2021 at 17:05, great northern said:

Returning to the discussion about the views from Platform 3, and the intruding signal, i took some more views from different places, as below.

1565927086_7pos1.JPG.37084461d31d9628861b2a89fa711f81.JPG

Signal included, and a bit of an eyesore. So I then moved the camera just the other side of the signal, and we get this.

1391863004_8pos2.JPG.db63a44f1adf11736d6c5bc900e50d37.JPG

and finally further along still, with this result.

2098620853_9pos3.JPG.6c7c2e729882d295243aa5864c397f4b.JPG

What do you think?

I liked the first one until I saw the other two. The second one seems to cut into some of the end of platform clutter, which the third one nearly avoids. Perhaps slightly to the left of the third one, including all of the signal box, and a wee bitea more on the left.

But all your photos are nostalgia inducing. Even the less good ones are good, just not excellent like most are. Many thanks for them all, and keep them coming, please.

Lloyd

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

9F out of the way, which allows the Talisman to come through. Gateshead normally turns out an A4 or an A1 for this prestige train, but today we have an A2/3, and a Heaton engine as well. What happened?  It seems the rostered A4 failed, and so the shed foreman shouted to the driver to take 518 instead. Sadly, the driver is a bit deaf, and so when he came to 517, he thought that was the one.

So, 517 now heading for London, instead of York or Leeds, which is where it should have been going, and the foreman is left scratching his head.

He better be careful of getting splinters.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, great northern said:

9F out of the way, which allows the Talisman to come through. Gateshead normally turns out an A4 or an A1 for this prestige train, but today we have an A2/3, and a Heaton engine as well. What happened?  It seems the rostered A4 failed, and so the shed foreman shouted to the driver to take 518 instead. Sadly, the driver is a bit deaf, and so when he came to 517, he thought that was the one.

280447485_4talisman.JPG.48d81b123c9b2f0f5c12d61a84bc8a7b.JPG

So, 517 now heading for London, instead of York or Leeds, which is where it should have been going, and the foreman is left scratching his head.

That's going to be an interesting trip.
She'll sound like the hammers of hell when they let loose!!:lol::heart_mini:
I'm a sad man, but I love these locos.
Great shots as usual.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

The train, signals, track and telegraph poles are so convincing.

The only improvement might be some form of background?

Difficult though, for two reasons. The first would be to get an accurate view, with the usual problem that what looks right from one angle looks silly from another.More relevant though is that a higher backscene here would obscure the view from the other side, and the operating well is really the main viewing area.

• Informative/Useful 4

9 minutes ago, great northern said:

I know some of you like the shots from this end, so I took several of the V2's progress. Here's the next one.

2031780169_38813.JPG.0ae87188a91df33b7ae1102a5a456a16.JPG

Monochrome to give a bit of a change.

Hi Gilbert

Definitely prefer your colour photo, the trackwork and ballasting colour looks so natural  and realistic and shows up so much better.

Regards

David

• Agree 3