Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

That is superb - especially as you don't see the west "fall off the cliff" end of Spital Bridge.

Inerestingly, the offending signal is not there in my Father's pictures from the Down Platform in the late 1930s (pre-WW2, when grandfather was sitll at North Box)..

Regards

Chris H

I always crop out the end of the bridge, if it is possible to do so, or if it isn't to hide it behind something. Unfortunately, it isn't always possible, and then it is a case of either binning an otherwise nice image, or putting up with it. The same applies when considering the signal. I can avoid it just by moving the camera further down the platform, but then I can't quite get the angle I want, and start getting things growing out of chimneys again.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Leave the signal in Gilbert.

it increases the railway atmosphere as things were never really all that neat in these days with so many fixtures and platform "clutter" getting in the way for pristine photos.

Eric

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Yet another Immingham B1, with the second New Clee fish. How did this traffic disappear completely within about six years, when it still warranted two full trains in 1958?

799946713_610791.JPG.4e53e069ac4f30f205380be88917a33a.JPG

Refrigerated HGV’s and Fish Processing Factories in Grimsby, at a guess?

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve perused this thread (but without comment) for some time, as it’s particularly interesting as I live in Peterborough, and I had a passing interest as an 8-12 year old in train spotting, often from Peterborough station. It’s spooky sometimes to see the re-creations.

As for the offending signal, tbh, I didn’t even spot it when I first viewed that photo. Which I guess is a vote for leave it in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Paul

As you say. Processing as per customers' requirement. Those Lorries, the A1and M1 and the demise of Billingsgate as the main destination. In 1967 I had a lift in a Fish Truck from 'ull, passing Brizzle & going to Plymouth with North Sea catches. The Driver told me about the demise of the Fish Trains as the modern Lorry distribution system was far more flexible, especially for pre processed stuff for the developing Supermarkets. 

There were still some Fish Vans in Trains from various places but not the multi van Expresses of Gilbert's time.

Funny thing was the the driver often passed Fish Trucks going the opposite way (going east) containing Cornish Ports' loads and Bay of Biscay Stuff as well as the Cornish Shell Fish and Crab loads for London.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Paul

Plus a fishing industry that was already in decline by the early 1960s

Post WW2 British taste changed and we reduced our intake of oily fish for white fish, coupled with over fishing meant a change in what boats went to sea. Drifters disappeared during the late 50s and early 60s, as did the mackerel they caught. Small trawlers couldn't make the longer journeys needed to catch cod and haddock economically so trawlers became bigger, but only needed a couple more men to crew them. Bigger trawlers meant the fleet reduced and so did the number of crewmen.

An early school project I was involved was British fishing, this would have been about 1970. Our group read all the books about the difference between drifters and trawlers only to find out very few drifters remained. The change to trawlers, and at that point they were only medium size to those operating by 1980, and the increased size of their catch.  We identified that our school library and the text books were well out of date as fishing was an industry in decline. Our geography teacher was impress with our work and that took some doing.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2