Peterborough North

great northern

You've given so much in this thread I feel I want to give something back already!!!

Either today or tommorow I'll be heading into town with the camera, is there any particular details you need in around the station/bridge/yard?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Regarding A4 tenders,the 1928 ones were painted black above the beading.I worked on them from cleaner to fireman on occasions,and would stake my life on it;in BR green ,of course. The later built tenders ,without beading,were green all the way up.

I keep following this wonderful PN.model:brilliant!

Regards,Roy.

Thanks Roy, the best evidence is always from those who actually saw things close up themselves! That's about 8 A4's that will need some black paint adding I think.

• RMweb Premium

You've given so much in this thread I feel I want to give something back already!!!

Either today or tommorow I'll be heading into town with the camera, is there any particular details you need in around the station/bridge/yard?

Yes thanks, that would be great. Crescent Bridge in particular is something we need to get as much as we can, plus Spital Bridge too. Also some shots of the old buildings still there at the back of the Up yard at the North end. I've been meaning to go down and do some more photography for quite a while but it looks like you will save me a journey, for which I shall be very grateful. Funnily enough I shall be not far away today myself, on Peterborough Milton golf course. I'm looking forward to that -it's always a good day out. 61635 Milton is a certainty for the layout when the Hornby B17 finally appears.

If the LNER 8-wheel tenders look to carry black above the beading then by all means paint your models black. Personally I doubt that BR had a different policy for plain or rivetted tenders and those with beading and that the apparent black area was as a result of "cleaners reach". I once saw a colour photo of a tender where traces of green could be seen above the beading. The cleaner couldn't reach any further and so there were arcs of clean green just above the beading. The rest was plain 'ol coal dust and traffic muck the same as that on cab roofs and atop A4 boiler cladding. On the otherhand, it might have been the case that at least one shed painted the area above the beading black because it was never cleaned anyway.

Edited by coachmann

This year or next Gilbert - this year or next?

It's the literal "Ghost Train" of the Hornby catalogue at the minute. A pity as the last sample I saw looked excellent. Can't understand why it hasn't be released yet when it looked more or less the finished article the last time around.

• RMweb Premium

It's the literal "Ghost Train" of the Hornby catalogue at the minute. A pity as the last sample I saw looked excellent. Can't understand why it hasn't be released yet when it looked more or less the finished article the last time around.

I think I read somewhere they are now due in August Simon? I agree though that all has gone very quiet once again.

• RMweb Premium

Uploading my photo's for you now Great Northern, however I took this at Peterborough Museum.

post-12769-0-52224500-1338308674_thumb.jpg

edit: full set now ready http://www.rmweb.co....rborough-north/

Many thanks, you've been very busy! I won't have a chance to look through them in detail till tomorrow evening, but I can see at a glance that there is a lot there that both I and Gravy Train will find very useful. Once again, much appreciated.

From what I could see of the new development, it looked nice. Although it'll still suffer the same problem of 4m taxis waiting outside. A sad result of the councils "collect 3 crisp packets and become a taxi driver" policies. But I digress.

Which platforms that are there now are part of the original building, is one side of platform 1 the original?

• Like 1

I think I read somewhere they are now due in August Simon? I agree though that all has gone very quiet once again.

I had an e-mail from hattons last week saying that they were expecting the B17 "Sandringham" in stock in mid August, so fingers crossed!

Yes, I got that email too - August it appears to be. But saying that...this time last year, I had an identical email in my inbox, save for August 2011 was the date...!

It's not a matter of life or death of course, but it is intriguing the number of models which have jumped the queue ahead of the B17, including the B1. I'm half expecting the O1 to appear before the B17. It couldn't, could it...?! ;)

• RMweb Premium

full sized v2's at Peterborough, first one looks just like the model shots.

7152010591_ee6de69db7_b.jpg

0905 by andersley2010, on Flickr

2389352775_3e6eb7ff2c_o.jpg

Peterborough by Railway Dave, on Flickr

That second photo is very interesting, as the engine appears to be backing onto a train in Platform 6. I knew that theoretically both that platform and platform 3 could be used for Southbound departures, but this is the first evidence I have seen of it actually happening. Thanks again Mike for turning up yet another gem!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From what I could see of the new development, it looked nice. Although it'll still suffer the same problem of 4m taxis waiting outside. A sad result of the councils "collect 3 crisp packets and become a taxi driver" policies. But I digress.

Which platforms that are there now are part of the original building, is one side of platform 1 the original?

I believe that the Up platform face is original, and the Up bay, but that's about it as far as I know.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I got that email too - August it appears to be. But saying that...this time last year, I had an identical email in my inbox, save for August 2011 was the date...!

It's not a matter of life or death of course, but it is intriguing the number of models which have jumped the queue ahead of the B17, including the B1. I'm half expecting the O1 to appear before the B17. It couldn't, could it...?! ;)

I'm told that the B17 got started all over again at a new factory, which if correct would at least partially explain the delay. New stuff from Hornby does still seem to be very thin on the ground though, so we shall just have to continue to be patient.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having ******** my back very succesfully and painfully yesterday while golfing 90 miles from home :mad_mini: I shall be restricted to very gentle pursuits till I can get to the physio. Why do these things always happen just before a Bank Holiday? Anyway, I can still just manage the duck under to the railway room, so there's likely to be a bit more activity over the next few days.

I now have another "locoshed" and a very up market one too.

post-98-0-49848900-1338480250_thumb.jpg

This used to house my hi-fi, but that has now been retired and I couldn't find another use for this nice bit of furniture, so Tim helped me get it up into the layout room.(pre back injury). Of course this now means I have room to store a lot more locos. :biggrin_mini2: Photo taken without tripod, so not too sharp, but you get the general idea.

While Tim was here I asked him to put just one coat of Klear on an A3. Three or four are needed to get the superb finish on the A4's, but I can't have all my Pacifics looking like that, because in real life they didn't. This then is an attempt to improve the appearance of Hornby's paint job without getting the look of a specially prepared loco.

post-98-0-62267300-1338480714_thumb.jpg

As it happens the next train in the sequence, which has been sadly neglected of late, was the 8.12am Grantham- KX, headed by a local A3 which has the standard Hornby paint job. I reckon even one coat of Klear gives a considerable improvement. These two were taken in identical light conditions, not much of it frankly, and with identical settings.

Before the light managed to deteriorate even more I got two more shots of Centenary slowing for the stop in Platform 2. i'm very pleased with the way the water tower and coalong stage have enhanced this view. I'll have to put them on another post though, as they have somehow disappeared while I've been typing this. :scratchhead:

post-98-0-82522800-1338480919_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

This used to house my hi-fi, but that has now been retired and I couldn't find another use for this nice bit of furniture, so Tim helped me get it up into the layout room.(pre back injury). Of course this now means I have room to store a lot more locos. :biggrin_mini2: Photo taken without tripod, so not too sharp, but you get the general idea.

And boy was it heavy..... Still, it was one way or breaking into a sweat!

While Tim was here I asked him to put just one coat of Klear on an A3. Three or four are needed to get the superb finish on the A4's, but I can't have all my Pacifics looking like that, because in real life they didn't. This then is an attempt to improve the appearance of Hornby's paint job without getting the look of a specially prepared loco.

post-98-0-62267300-1338480714_thumb.jpg

As it happens the next train in the sequence, which has been sadly neglected of late, was the 8.12am Grantham- KX, headed by a local A3 which has the standard Hornby paint job. I reckon even one coat of Klear gives a considerable improvement. These two were taken in identical light conditions, not much of it frankly, and with identical settings.

I will still admit it could have benefitted from a 2nd coat of the stuff, but one coat (applied with the greatest of care to ensure it doesn't run; it looks awful if it does that!) does make a vast difference, if only just to lose that rather unauthentic matte look that seems to plague almost everything from Hornby. Bachmann isn't quite so bad......

I see I managed to miss painting the wheels black to lose that effect the blackened wheelsets give straight from the box. Only a 5 min job....... :smoke:

• RMweb Premium

And boy was it heavy..... Still, it was one way or breaking into a sweat!

I will still admit it could have benefitted from a 2nd coat of the stuff, but one coat (applied with the greatest of care to ensure it doesn't run; it looks awful if it does that!) does make a vast difference, if only just to lose that rather unauthentic matte look that seems to plague almost everything from Hornby. Bachmann isn't quite so bad......

I see I managed to miss painting the wheels black to lose that effect the blackened wheelsets give straight from the box. Only a 5 min job....... :smoke:

I think it is fine as it is Tim. The green is a richer and deeper shade, much nearer the real thing, and it looks right to me for a well cared for but not specially "bulled up" engine. As to the wheels, you just ran out of time.