Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I managed to get quite a lot of what you need GN. Will post them to my albums when I get home.

I have now been able to look properly at all the photos you took, and I can't believe the time and trouble you have taken. All of this will be of great assistance to me, and will certainly create a couple more building commissions for Peter Leyland. Many thanks once again for spending so much time and effort in doing this.

• Like 3

Yes, I got that email too - August it appears to be. But saying that...this time last year, I had an identical email in my inbox, save for August 2011 was the date...!

It's not a matter of life or death of course, but it is intriguing the number of models which have jumped the queue ahead of the B17, including the B1. I'm half expecting the O1 to appear before the B17. It couldn't, could it...?! ;)

Well it could be - hattons just e-mailed me again to say the B17 is now due for release end of september 2012! Gives me more time to track down some 52'6" carriages to go with it.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm back into running trains now, so here's a few more shots of the early morning traffic. We start with the 0550 KX - Grantham, arriving behind Doncaster A1 Amadis, already over two hours into its journey and having stopped just about everywhere.

post-98-0-59592400-1338566412_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-69775200-1338566462_thumb.jpg

In the foreground of the second shot you will see a nice little hut which recently arrived with Gravy Train, and which has replaced a ready to plant thing. This was the addition I challenged everyone to find in a recent post. Unfortunately no-one did, and the time to claim the £5000 prize expired yesterday. :D

I always find it hard to resist photographing B17's, so here is a zoom shot of Doncaster Rovers having arrived with the 0826 from March.

post-98-0-22821400-1338566862_thumb.jpg

I also love that beautiful canopy on Platform 6, so here's the best of both worlds.

post-98-0-81182800-1338566973_thumb.jpg

When the overall roof and footbridge are in place I reckon this may make quite a nice shot, once a proper platform surface is added, together with a lot of advertising posters on the walls and some waiting passengers.

post-98-0-66269500-1338567192_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Very nice Gilbert.

I've always found B17's to be the most elegant of locomotives. I'm 60 now but my cousin in Scotland recently sent to me an old photo of me playing Cricket in our back garden when I was about 6 and in the background just to the left of my family house a B17 is caught in action on the embankment, just to the east of Shenfield station on the Southend loop heading towards London.

The odd thing, to me, about it is that it is pulling "blood and custard" stock when my memory tells me it was all maroon on that line.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

Guest Tom F

That last shot, very nice! Just think what it will be like with the real roof on! :)

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1

just going back to the mysterious signal discussed a few pages back, looking at this shot by Ben Brooksbank. is there another one behind the loco?

post-27-0-00749400-1338652900.jpg

post-27-0-37173900-1338653073.jpg

Mike

Mike,

Not sure about the signal, but can you please explain the "Q" at centre of buffer beam ?

gresley

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

Not sure about the signal, but can you please explain the "Q" at centre of buffer beam ?

gresley

I can Stuart. It was a local code so that the signalmen could tell which station pilot was which. Another one was "O"........which from a distance looks remarkably like "Q".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

just going back to the mysterious signal discussed a few pages back, looking at this shot by Ben Brooksbank. is there another one behind the loco?

post-27-0-00749400-1338652900.jpg

post-27-0-37173900-1338653073.jpg

Mike

There is something similar Mike, but this one is a signal with a route indicator, and we have got it.

post-98-0-56343300-1338671362_thumb.jpg

I can't quite get the same angle, and it's the wrong N5, but the signal is in about the same place. This had recently replaced a very nice bracket signal which had at least five arms.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It's dark, it's dismal, it's about 8c, it's windy, and that fine drizzle which you can hardly see, but which soaks you in minutes is falling steadily and continuously. Yes folks, it's a Bank Holiday Sunday. :O Having poked my nose outside I very quickly decided to stay put and get some trains running to cheer things up. We begin with a Newcastle- KX Goods parcels, which a local 9F has just taken over in New England yards.

post-98-0-83858100-1338726017_thumb.jpg

The train is crossing to the Up slow, and completely blocking the ECML while doing so.

post-98-0-12919600-1338726129_thumb.jpg

plodding along steadily.....

post-98-0-82900800-1338726231_thumb.jpg

and about to pass the B17 which brought in the 0826 from March. Camera hand held as I didn't remove the fascia, so predictably not altogether sharp, but just about acceptable.

post-98-0-13136300-1338726416_thumb.jpg

Taken from Crescent Bridge with lots of zoom......

post-98-0-25320500-1338726513_thumb.jpg

Quite a powerful image this one? The 0835 from Kings Lynn, which is what caused this diversion via the slow line can just be seen in Platform 2, and the 9F is about to block the whole ECML again to get back onto the Up main.

post-98-0-89284800-1338726724_thumb.jpg

The Kings Lynn has reversed to the carriage sidings, and a shabby Immingham B1 arrives with the early morning stopper from Grimsby.

post-98-0-48006600-1338726864_thumb.jpg

Another Immingham B1, but this one is in much better condition, and heads the first Up Cleethorpes- KX. Sudden SQL message, so I'll post these before I have to start all over again.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

OK, let's see if I can get the rest done.

post-98-0-26852800-1338727445_thumb.jpg

This was an attempt to get the under the overall roof shot from the South end. It required contortions on my part so i didn't notice it wasn't in focus. It'll look OK when all is finished and I get it right though I think.

post-98-0-32073800-1338727638_thumb.jpg

Emerging from the gloom, the loco is slowing to a standstill.

post-98-0-85524200-1338727721_thumb.jpg

Finally, as my acknowledgment of the weekend's celebrations, here is a posed shot of a very appropriate locomotive. I can still remember the radio being switched on when I was in primary school and hearing the news of the King's death and the accession of our Queen.

• Like 14

Loving the B1 photos: last steam loco haulage I got in steam days was "A.Harold Bibby", Barnetby to Scunthorpe.

When will he appear on Peterborough?

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Gilbert.

I've always found B17's to be the most elegant of locomotives. I'm 60 now but my cousin in Scotland recently sent to me an old photo of me playing Cricket in our back garden when I was about 6 and in the background just to the left of my family house a B17 is caught in action on the embankment, just to the east of Shenfield station on the Southend loop heading towards London.

The odd thing, to me, about it is that it is pulling "blood and custard" stock when my memory tells me it was all maroon on that line.

Best, Pete.

Thanks Pete. And I can't imagine anything much better than playing or watching cricket while watching B17's go by. That's my idea of heaven. Well, one of them anyway. Blood and custard stock because it was a holiday extra perhaps? Some of the old stock dragged out of sidings for a couple of weeks use each year?

The annoying thing is that the particular B17 and its' coaches were over my right shoulder so I never saw them at the time...I was facing the camera.

I suppose it must have been - by my school "cricket" cap (which, of course, I was wearing) 1957 or '58.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Today I was just going to run trains - no getting sidetracked by photography. Then the very first train turns out to be the Down Fair Maid, behind one of my favourite A4's, Wild Swan. Well, what can you do? The first four shots are from viewpoints you have seen before.

post-98-0-65777700-1338997513_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not, on prototype photos the curve looks even more severe than this.

post-98-0-29983200-1338997604_thumb.jpg

Oh look, another dangly bit! :ireful: Why are these things never noticeable till after the photo has been taken?

post-98-0-78020400-1338997723_thumb.jpg

Number 21 was used on the Elizabethan in '58, so Tim will need to bring the Klear again next time he visits.

post-98-0-43919000-1338997896_thumb.jpg

I reckon once we get the proper roof on, plus signs, platform surface and people this may make quite a good shot. Now we depart from my normal style of photography. I'm not a great fan of "helicopter" shots, but as I have seen photos taken from the top of Spital Bridge coaling stage I thought I'd try one or two just to add some variety. So, out came the tripod, and here's the results.

post-98-0-57533800-1338998162_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-23905300-1338998209_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-55768900-1338998287_thumb.jpg

This one though must have been taken from Spital Bridge with a telephoto lens. I've not cropped out the windows or the temporary Crescent Bridge dangling in space as the photo does give a good overall view.

post-98-0-81284500-1338998454_thumb.jpg

Taken from the top of a telegraph pole I reckon. Anyway, it makes a change doesn't it? Why doesn't he get on with some modelling you may ask? I ask myself that sometimes too. Where's the idle emoticon?

• Like 15

Just had to fix my lubricator on No 11 too Gilbert. They're a right pain! I've used the later version of Klear on number 15 and number 22. Quite a difference.

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear! I woke up this morning to find that I'm another year older. :O Surely there should be some way of opting out of this process? It does make time more precious though- must get on with the layout. My present to myself was an excellent day out at Railfest on Friday, and even the threatened heavy rain kept away. Low point of the day was Flying Scotsman looking very tired indeed, and why German deflectors and double chimney with wartime black livery? High point? The Wainwright D, which must be one of the most handsome locos ever designed. I'd definitely find as excuse to run one of those if they ever appeared RTR. Must stop rambling and get on with some layout work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many happy returns then Gilbert. I was there on Friday too - rather enjoying the spectacle of SNG and Tornado next to each other, and the "whistling contest" they had going on between them!

Thanks Simon. Yes it was great to see Gresley's masterpiece alongside the final development of the LNER pacifics. Those guys deserve knighthoods for having the perseverance and staying power to produce Tornado. Just wonderful to see.

• Like 1