13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

That helps with showing it is a very long train, how many photos of real long trains do you see both the driver and the guard?

That's a very good point Clive. I guess I've just got a bit obsessive about it, and lost touch with reality......again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
  • RMweb Gold

Well, since the 4-6-0 has to be versatile, long lasting and reliable, etc., then it’s Stanier’s Black Five. 

Rob.

• Agree 1
12 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Hall's route availability was compromised by the width over the cylinders - so the "Black 5" just scraped in.

Very funny!

• Agree 1

If there was one poll which was a foregone conclusion, this was it.  The Black 5 got 15 votes, and nothing else more than three. Still, it would surely be wrong to not do the poll just because there happened to be a loco which richly deserved the recognition it got? Whatever our regional preferences, I think there is a general acceptance that this is one of the outstanding success stories of British railways steam history.

Today, let's consider eight and ten coupled engines. Same criteria as before, not looks, but what did the job the best , taking into account all considerations, ease of maintenance, reliability, crew comfort, the lot. Longevity again too, but of course also those that got cut off in their prime.

Robinson 04 in its various manifestations. from Australia to Shanghai, the Middle East to Grimsby, France, Belgium and 28xx fans, even on the WoE mainline.

regards,

Alastair 

• Like 2

I think this one has to go to the Stanier 8F. 

As much as I like the 04 and other LNER types the 8F better fits the criteria given.

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)

"all considerations, ease of maintenance, reliability, crew comfort, the lot. Longevity again too, but of course also those that got cut off in their prime." the 04 fulfills all those and it got their first and lasted longer. it also proved itself admirably suited to upgrading/modification. But the 8f was a great engine......   :diablo_mini:

Edited by A Murphy

O4.  I'd disagree with the argument above as the 8F was eventually deemed too complex and expensive and the Austerity design developed.  The O4 was just copied, again and again.   I know the Australian O4s were still working until the early 1970s; when were the last 8Fs retired (in the Middle East somewhere, at a guess)?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, great northern said:

If there was one poll which was a foregone conclusion, this was it.  The Black 5 got 15 votes, and nothing else more than three. Still, it would surely be wrong to not do the poll just because there happened to be a loco which richly deserved the recognition it got? Whatever our regional preferences, I think there is a general acceptance that this is one of the outstanding success stories of British railways steam history.

Today, let's consider eight and ten coupled engines. Same criteria as before, not looks, but what did the job the best , taking into account all considerations, ease of maintenance, reliability, crew comfort, the lot. Longevity again too, but of course also those that got cut off in their prime.

Churchwards 28xx. Superb machines.

For crew comfort and ease of maintenance, I’m voting for the 9F. Yes the O4 was a long lived and reliable design but with such a Spartan cab conditions would be quite bleak.

• Agree 1

I think it has to be a BR 9f - by a nose from the GWR 47xx.

If I was looking further a field, it would be the American built SNCF 141R - A simple and reliable loco that kept going to the very end of French mainline steam in the 1970s!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

A difficult one. As much as I want to vote for the O4 and its variants. Maybe I should go with the Rebuilds to O1 they had much more protection in their cab. But no I think it has the be the last of the line so to speak the 9F. NO NO

I'm going for the O4 because of longevity in the end.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Posted (edited)

So I'm going to be high controversial here and propose the DB Class 50 (now with the correct pic!)

Screenshot_2020-06-01_at_15_01_20.png.e16bd5436970aa7f1d669f48b84de173.png

Not to be confused with the Class 52, a Kriegslock machine, of which many of the 6.700 were produced using slave labour, even though this was the design on which it was based a, the Class 50 enjoyed a very long and successful life with over 3,100 being made and ending up widely distributed  across Eastern Europe

Wikipedia has an interesting story about the class - in terms of sheer numbers and longevity it knocks the socks of anything mentioned so far... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRB_Class_50

Gets hat and leaves rapidly

Edited by bigwordsmith
picture error
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
4 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Churchwards 28xx. Superb machines.

Does the ease of maintenance and crew comfort requirement in the rules exclude those ( or do they score so many points on the other aspects make up for those shortcomings ?