great northern

Peterborough North

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Another one on the very long "to do" list, Jonathan. Could I have your help please in selecting categories for a coaching stock poll?

We should start with favourite pre grouping carriage 

• Like 1

The poll result. Well it shows that we aren't narrow minded and over focused on our own particular area. The Castle class got 6 votes, the locos of Mr Bulleid 4, while ECML votes were split between four candidates.

The only thing is the Castle votes don't specify which one. Brancepeth, Naworth, Ford, Raby, Alnwick, Lambton, Belvoir, Hedingham or Kimbolton?:mosking::jester:

Now to today's poll. Well, Clive M obviously gave this a lot of thought, and was very specific, so I will adopt his suggestion.

Best all round mainline diesel for longevity, usefulness, variety of services, geographical spread and number of liveries.

• Like 3

Best all round mainline diesel - Brush 4.

• Agree 3

My vote is for the Class 47 as the best all rounder mainline loco - I think there were almost as many livery variations as there were Class 47s! ;)

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, great northern said:

Best all round mainline diesel for longevity, usefulness, variety of services, geographical spread and number of liveries.

EE type 3/Class 37 should win this by 80 chains...

Longevity: sixty years of operation and counting
Usefulness: powerful enough on their own but were also used in pairs and triples in multiple working. Some also capable of push-pull operation.

Variety of services: class 1 passenger and sleeper trains, Freightliners to local trip workings and everything in between 

Geographical spread: practically the whole country; Penzance to Thurso, Holyhead to Great Yarmouth
Number of liveries: Lots

Not as powerful or fast as a Brush type 4 admittedly, but ticks all the boxes.

I rest my case

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

Has to be the  EE3  class 37, added to Longevity, versatility and looks they actually make a decent sound and look good in almost every livery that have had and there have been many.

Brush 4 from me.

Pete

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Brush Type 4.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, great northern said:

The only thing is the Castle votes don't specify which one.

Well, I did specify Collett Castles, to distinguish them from those of Mr Drummond...

• Funny 2

Regarding the poll for the diesel I'm tempted to vote for an HST power car but I'm not sure if that's 'in the spirit' so I'll go for the Class 37/English Electric type 3.

I'd just like to say thank you to Gilbert for being the host for these polls. Although I've missed some it has been something to look out for each day. I wonder, when this Covid business is over -whenever/if ever that might be - if it would be interesting to see a listing of our choices?

• Friendly/supportive 1

Well, for today’s poll, it’s definitely the EE Type 3, class 37.

Rob.

Has to be a Class 47 for today's poll.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Brush type 4 for me please.

Alastair M

• Agree 1

I can't say that I like them, but the 37 gets the most ticks from me. Must be all that standing around in long grass!

Lloyd

Class 37

So versatile and still going strong.