Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Time travels. An interesting one but for sheer enthusiast interest there is but one choice. I would climb into my personal Tardis and set it for Whiteball signal box on 27 July 1957, the first day of the school holidays. The day is related in the classic volume 'Summer Saturdays in the West' and is said to be the peak of railway usage for family holidays in the West Country.

Good idea Trevor! One of my "Desert Island" books. I think I'd set the same date but head a little further West, probably to Plymouth North Road or possibly even to Par...

• Like 1

No doubts for me, 1937 about July, so I had long daylight hours. I'd start at Potters Bar where I lived, spend 30mins on the platform watching. Perfection would be seeing a P1 come through. Catch the next train (quadarts no doubt) to Kings Cross. Spend one hour there roaming around. Then the underground to Marylebone.  Then an express stopping at Nottingham Vic. Spend an hour or so there. Train to Grantham, articulated Howldens behind a D2? Spend an hour or two at Grantham then train to Lincoln. What a day that would be - ex GN and ex GC. The only thing, I'd want to take my DSLR with me but probably not allowed? Also possibly I can only watch trains not travel on them in which case it would have to be Grantham. August 1937

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Clarification
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, I enjoyed that poll. Good to see reasons for choices, rather than just a class number. Where did you want to go? A majority, 8 in all, settled for the 30s, 6 for the 50s, and three for the Edwardian era. Unsurprisingly, no-one wanted to go to the 1940s, or to the 80s or 90s. Too recent in memory, perhaps?

Today we will travel even further back in time, and to the 19th century. Anywhere from the dawn of the railway age to 1899 folks. I think we can say with certainty that these will be decades that no-one has ever actually experienced. Again, where as well as when would be interesting.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

No doubts for me, 1937 about July, so I had long daylight hours. I'd start at Potters Bar where I lived, spend 30mins on the platform watching. Perfection would be seeing a P1 come through. Catch the next train (quadarts no doubt) to Kings Cross. Spend one hour there roaming around. Then the underground to Marylebone.  Then an express stopping at Nottingham Vic. Spend an hour or so there. Train to Grantham, articulated Howldens behind a D2? Spend an hour or two at Grantham then train to Lincoln. What a day that would be - ex GN and ex GC. The only thing, I'd want to take my DSLR with me but probably not allowed? Also possibly I can only watch trains not travel on them in which case it would have to be Grantham. August 1937

Andrew

2 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

1890s York, a variety of companies and colours

Oi, how many goes do you want?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

1820s Stockton and Darlington Railway. I don’t mind where on that railway, I’d just like to see some of the pioneering engines working.

Have you been to Beamish and ridden the Pockerley Waggonway?

I'm with Andrew here - York in the 1890s.  was it served by 7 different companies?   The Old Station would still have been in use too.

• RMweb Premium

For me it would be the mid 1880s at Reading - so that I could see both Broad and Standard gauge GWR trains at the General Station and SER and LSWR trains across the road at the adjacent Southern Station.

But there are lots of other interesting locations.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For myself, it would be the 4th October, 1847, for the very first train to run from York to Market Weighton by The York & North Midland Railway. Apparently there was a big feast on arrival at M. Weighton. It must have been quite a day. 

Best regards,

Rob.

The 1950' on a Saturday with all the visiting Locomotives on Neasden Shed for a sporting event @ Wembley.

Hall's, School's,Patriot's  and even some Britt's not to mention the Eastern Region locomotives, both visiting and shedded there.

• Like 1

I would love to have seen all the different railways in action between Weymouth and Portland early in the 20th century, the line to Easton had just been opened, the station building had already burnt down. The Merchants Railway was still sending lumps of stone down cable worked inclines and the quarries had narrow gauge lines a plenty running through them.

Martyn

• Like 1