Peterborough North

great northern

As much as I like the J15 I really want a T26 (or E4).

To be honest could have been almost anything built by the GER, tried to stick with those that were not substantially rebuilt. A G58 or J17 especially with small tender is tempting and the C32 or F3 tank.

Martyn

• RMweb Premium

Before I go, I shall close the Stratford poll, which I will count later. Today's subject will be Crewe. I'm not at all sure whether to venture further south than London, so perhaps we should have a poll to decide whether to do that.:jester: There is also a place further to the West, but my keyboard won't let me type that name.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, great northern said:

...I'm not at all sure whether to venture further south than London, so perhaps we should have a poll to decide whether to do that.:jester: There is also a place further to the West, but my keyboard won't let me type that name.

What's wrong with south of London?  Plenty of interesting locos and other things to choose from designed and built at the various workshops...

As for the place formerly known as Pig Hill (I assume that's the one your keyboard is adverse to), I agree - don't go there :) 

If we’re still going on the criteria of reliability and versatility then there is only really one option. The Black 5s. If we’re not using that criteria then the best product from Crewe for me has to be the Ivatt Duchesses. IMHO, they looked so much more powerful than the standard Duchesses.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Before I go, I shall close the Stratford poll, which I will count later. Today's subject will be Crewe. I'm not at all sure whether to venture further south than London, so perhaps we should have a poll to decide whether to do that.:jester: There is also a place further to the West, but my keyboard won't let me type that name.

Is this proper Crewe locos of the LNWR types or Crewe with Sir William's GWR types?

Crewe types it has to be Mr Bowen-Cooke's Prince of Wales 4-6-0, nothing too fussy just simple business like engineering beauty.

If it is the Swindon influenced designs of later years, then Sir William's  class 3 2-6-2T passenger tanks. They looked lovely despite being useless.

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Before you close the Stratford poll , can I nominate the N7’s ? Fantastic workhorses and synonimous  Stratford.

Crewe is a tough one. I’ll go for George Whale’s lovely 4-4-2 tanks .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Crewe is a tough one. I’ll go for George Whale’s lovely 4-4-2 tanks .

But Hamilton Ellis described them as voracious coal-eaters, which Marsh's I3 for the Brighton showed up, leading to superheating arriving at Crewe. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

I'm not at all sure whether to venture further south than London, so perhaps we should have a poll to decide whether to do that.

Yes please!

• Agree 1

Crewe?

No contest.

Class 87s. The original batch, not the later build 87/2s which got released with '90' scrawled on the side of them.

(I mean, this is a locomotive poll, which kinda rules out HST power cars. With these included, there would have been something to think about...)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm torn, I agree with the Class 87 electric locos as the best thing ever to come out of Crewe, but if I'm restricted to Steam locos it has to be the LMS Stanier "Black" 5 class of 4-6-0 - simple, reliable, go anywhere and do anything well locos.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for the Stanier 5MT as possibly the best steam workhorse ever, even if some were very rough, and they did have a knock - but they would go anywhere and do anything - and I can verify that even now in preservation, they have a good turn of speed - I travelled behind one on the WCML a few years ago, and all the GPS types clocked it at just over 70.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, 45156 said:

I travelled behind one on the WCML a few years ago, and all the GPS types clocked it at just over 70.

I would go for the Black 5's as well. I remember traveling on a special from Crewe to Carlisle, and back to Crewe via Leeds in the early to mid 1960's. The Brit. 70047 failed at about Tebay, I think, and 45018 was commandeered to take it on to Carlisle. I believe it touched 82 on the downhill after Shap. Upperby shed housed a good collection of withdrawn Duchesses - only time I ever saw them.

Lloyd

• Like 1