Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

A late surge of votes saw the 04 top the Gorton poll with 6 votes, Woodhead electrics second with 4.

Today, an interesting one - Cowlairs.

Again my knowledge of such goings on are not sufficient for me to make a educated suggestion of the best class or even a daft one therefore I will abstain from voting. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Going back up the thread a bit; Cambridge had some 80xxx tanks allocated there. A mate of mine rode on one to St.Ives whilst doing a repair on the water column there apparently. Can't confirm they ever got to PN, but I have a vague distant memory of maybe seeing one there?

Stewart

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Going back up the thread a bit; Cambridge had some 80xxx tanks allocated there. A mate of mine rode on one to St.Ives whilst doing a repair on the water column there apparently. Can't confirm they ever got to PN, but I have a vague distant memory of maybe seeing one there?

Stewart

I was thinking about that; not sure where they worked from Cambridge either.  You don't see many pictures of them in that are but I have seen a picture of one on a Norwich-Cambridge (in fact I think it was a train from Yarmouth), so not confined to (for example) the Bedford line.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 31A said:

I was thinking about that; not sure where they worked from Cambridge either.  You don't see many pictures of them in that are but I have seen a picture of one on a Norwich-Cambridge (in fact I think it was a train from Yarmouth), so not confined to (for example) the Bedford line.

I've got a feeling they were a (almost paper) transfer from somewhere else (LTSR?) when they were no longer needed, and effectively dumped at Cambridge, seeing little use before being moved on (31B comes to min, for storage) then later spread over the mids & NW. I think the 76xxx were on the same boat as well - only pics Ive seen of those is the Hunstanton branch, and Cambridge used anything it had on summer weekends.

(My layout based on the Hunstanton area has both allocated....well it is an excuse to run my Cambridge based collection of memories).

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, 31A said:

Feb 59 Ian Allan shows none at Cambridge, and frankly none at all at sheds which might have resulted in them getting to PN, so I shall do without. I can't even use them to replace all the Bachmann V2s which I now have to throw out. I'm not sure how I'm going to manage without them though. Peterborough without lots of V2s just isn't.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I've got a feeling they were a (almost paper) transfer from somewhere else (LTSR?) when they were no longer needed, and effectively dumped at Cambridge, seeing little use before being moved on (31B comes to min, for storage) then later spread over the mids & NW. I think the 76xxx were on the same boat as well - only pics Ive seen of those is the Hunstanton branch, and Cambridge used anything it had on summer weekends.

(My layout based on the Hunstanton area has both allocated....well it is an excuse to run my Cambridge based collection of memories).

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

I've found the picture I was thinking of.  It's in "Celebration of Steam - East Anglia" (Nigel J. L. Digby, Ian Allan, 1995) on p. 67 and shows 80074 nearing Roudham Junction with the 1.45pm Saturdays Only express Yarmouth Vauxhall-Cambridge in July 1960.  It's in a very clean condition, carrying Express lamps and has a good load - at least 9 corridor coaches.  The BR Database entry for this loco shows it as being at Tilbury until 1962, then Stratford and then March during 1962 - make of that what you will!

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=80074&loco=80074

Edited by 31A
Edit: typo!
  • Like 1

As I mentioned earlier several of the Class were shedded at 33A Plaistow & 33B Tilbury . If as I surmise they were shopped @ Doncaster

the easiest route would have been through Peterborough or possibly March, Gainsborough & into Doncaster. I only just thought about that as a route.Why don't I leave thinking to others,it only gets me confused. 

• Like 1