great northern

Peterborough North

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wow a triple chimney B17. :)

It sounds as though it's not just Gilbert who needs his eyes tested.

• Funny 5

I should Clive, its nice there and comes recommended at the highest levels.

Lets hope all is well with GN.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Clive,

your wife may end up getting a job as as CEO  like other people. Just remember folks were all in this together just ask Mr J senior.:mad:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Laugh! I nearly cried....:smoke:

Glad to hear you're ok Gilbert 

The wind is terrible here in Gods County too i cant remember a summer so windy 

• Agree 4

Glad everything is ok with your eyes Gilbert.  Lovely photos of late, both historical and model.  Plenty of B17s too which always makes life better I find.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I do rather like the oily sheen below the footplate on that WD, Gilbert.  Looks just like it would spoil your jacket if you brushed past it too close on shed.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

And a very nice plonk it is!

• Agree 1

On 05/07/2020 at 12:10, great northern said:

I have been doubly lucky. At 1030 this morning I was left with no alternative but the eye hospital, as all local opticians were fully booked. Lucky bit one was a call to say there had been a cancellation at 1105 just up the road in Bingham, and lucky bit two is that tests and scans confirm that I haven't had a blood clot hit the back of my eye, as happened three years ago. So now I can stop worrying, and try to reduce my soaring stress levels.

Another plonk to celebrate.

1256049388_23vans.JPG.d177941556ac645a91780ea1b1198c6d.JPG

Hi Gilbert

That is a stunning building.

Regards

David

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

I do love the stretched streak.  I was looking to build one but with a number of loco kits accrued now, I think it might be a Hornby job.

Still need to figure out which Thompson pacific I’m allowed too given the upcoming releases, or should I just get another Peppercorn A1, they’re a safe bet.  Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

13 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

I do love the stretched streak.  I was looking to build one but with a number of loco kits accrued now, I think it might be a Hornby job.

Still need to figure out which Thompson pacific I’m allowed too given the upcoming releases, or should I just get another Peppercorn A1, they’re a safe bet.  Decisions, decisions...

The poor thing was roundly booed every time it appeared back in the day though, as we ignorant spotters always thought it was depriving us of a possible sighting of Kingfisher or  William Whitelaw!

I'm sure we can find you an appropriate A2  Tony, it will just depend what part of your period we are considering.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, great northern said:

After perusing the lunchtime forecast, more than 95% chance of heavy rain from 2pm till gone midnight, my quick and agile brain told me that if I wanted to go for a walk this afternoon, I was going to get wet. I really needed some fresh air, so golf waterproofs and floppy hat on, and off I went. 45 minutes of rather perverse pleasure later, I'm bone dry, proof that you do get what you pay for. Expensive, but well worth it. Not British of course, good lord no.

So here I am looking out at the rain a bit smugly really, with a mug of tea and a nice pear at my side, ready to post the next picture. This is a Clarence yard to Niddrie Class C, which crys out for V2 haulage. The V2 rostered though is the first Bachmann one I ever bought nearly 20 years ago, and despite the fact that it has had a professional paint job, I do tend to shudder when I see it, as it is rather horrible. However, what does one do?  PN without V2s, lots of them, wouldn't be PN at all, but I'm not now capable of building or painting kits myself, if I ever was, can't afford to commission them in the numbers needed, and even the one I had scratchbuilt isn't "right". Until the new Bachmann model arrives, this, and others, will have to continue to appear. Should I be putting a disclaimer at the foot of each page, in view of recent commentary about layouts that feature such abominations?

1485295203_4867.JPG.e66dcc1cf6df4e6c84eb0c12390c31cb.JPG

I know the feeling w.r.t v2s. I've  two new chassis v2s, 5 split-chassis versions and a part built branchlines chassis V2. The two new chassis V2s  have had the bodies replaced with Graeme King resin bodies. One of the split chassis versions also has one of Graeme's bodies.  DCC fitted the split-chassis v2s for the moment run well. Pulling more strongly and quicker than the later DCC ready chassis! I do intend replacing the hideous old bodies with Mike Trice's 3D versions in due course. If (when)  the split chassis versions collapse, I'll bite the bullet and build comet versions. When the new Bachmann version arrives it isn't coming cheap! But I'm sure I'll sneak a few of those on to the layout too. How many V2s are needed on an ECML layout? Loads....

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

How many V2s are needed on an ECML layout? Loads....

Up to 184 by my reckoning!

Paul

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

How many V2s are needed on an ECML layout? Loads....

Up to 184 by my reckoning!

Paul

And a sixth of them shedded at New England!

• Friendly/supportive 4