Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

So as not to pick somewhere I've picked before I'm going for Woodhall Junction. I know nothing about it other than that it seems to be a four-route junction in the middle of nowhere, which intrigues me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

So as not to pick somewhere I've picked before I'm going for Woodhall Junction. I know nothing about it other than that it seems to be a four-route junction in the middle of nowhere, which intrigues me.

It had a strange arrangement for the Horncastle branch - the train had to back out of the bay platform and then go forward onto the branch which was on the right handside.

It would also make an interesting place to model as would Willoughby and Louth on the East Lincolnshire line.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

First I would pass on congratulations to David Bell and his bride. I hope they have a good time now and onwards.

Now onto my vote, which goes to Spalding - on the grounds of it having had an interesting set of routes and traffic - and that I have travelled through it by train on the way to Skegness from Peterborough (and return) in the 1950s - so by steam.

Finally, having visted the "Airship Sheds" at Cardington - on a cold February day about 10 years back - I'm not so sure about their desireability as a site for a model raiway, they are just too big. The main problems include:

• "So big" they have their own weather inside them - including rain or snow fall depending on humidity and temperature. When we went it was a beautiful day outside, albeit cold, but cloudy and snowing inside!
  • While the idea of a true 4mm scale model of the ECML from Kings Cross to York initially seems attractive, it would be very demanding of time and resources and very difficult to appreciate in is enormity.

While I have to make significant compromises due to space constraints I'm not sure I would want anything bigger than Roy Jackson's "Retford" - or even Gilbert's "Peterborough North".

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Seaton Junction in Rutland. I hope Rutland can be included?

Are we still talking Midland with a bit of LNWR....the all those who have said Lincoln Central are fraudulent voters. The MR was St Marks. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Seaton Junction in Rutland. I hope Rutland can be included?

Are we still talking Midland with a bit of LNWR....the all those who have said Lincoln Central are fraudulent voters. The MR was St Marks. 

Yes, Rutland is OK, I missed it on account of it being little.  I did say LIncolnshire Clive, not specifying pre grouping ownership. I may be wrong, but I don't think the LNWR had any lines in the county at all. And St Marks was poky, Central is grand.

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, great northern said:

Yes, Rutland is OK, I missed it on account of it being little.  I did say LIncolnshire Clive, not specifying pre grouping ownership. I may be wrong, but I don't think the LNWR had any lines in the county at all. And St Marks was poky, Central is grand.

But St Marks was MIDLAND RAILWAY therefore grand. :declare:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

But St Marks was MIDLAND RAILWAY therefore grand. :declare:

But also poky. The main building was OK, but the rest was exceedingly average. Central on the other hand has been described as "Baronial Splendour", and it is. And it won by 8 platforms to 2. (poky ones).:mosking:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, great northern said:

But also poky. The main building was OK, but the rest was exceedingly average. Central on the other hand has been described as "Baronial Splendour", and it is. And it won by 8 platforms to 2. (poky ones).:mosking:

When I suggested Lincoln Central for the GCR mainline station, I was told off and couldn't have it.

Anyhow I still vote for the real Seaton Junction. It would make a lovely model.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A rushed vote this morning because this afternoon I am getting married.

Congratulations David, I hope you and your bride will be very happy.

We got married on this day exactly 50 years ago!

Syd

Edited by juke
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

Now that was a good poll. Won by Lincoln Central with 6 votes, but quite a lot of the lovely small rural junctions got a mention too, which was very pleasing to a Lincolnshire lad who did get to visit most of them back in the day.

Moving a little further to the West, today we will look at country junction stations in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, including the Peak District. Nottinghamshire again as it didn't get a look in yesterday.

Edited by great northern
to clarify

Lincoln Central for me as well. Lots of stations in Lincolnshire I wish I had seen but haven’t , but I know Lincoln so it gets the vote.  The last time I went through Lincoln on the way to Market Rasen the normal DMU had been replaced by a B1 towing 3 Thompson suburbans and three GUVs . A wonderful and memorable experience as steam was very rare in Lincolnshire by then.   

11 hours ago, juke said:

A rushed vote this morning because this afternoon I am getting married.

Congratulations David, I hope you and your bride will be very happy.

We got married on this day exactly 50 years ago!

Syd

Congratulations to you too. Thanks to everyone here for their good wishes. We had an absolutely fabulous day under blue skies here in the Far North. Attached is the getaway vehicle though of course we are not actually going anywhere for a while at least

Cheers David

20200815_113804.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

G'Day Folks

I only went to Lincoln once, I was with my Driver working a Sleeper train back from Doncaster, via Lincoln because of engineering work, we had conductor, so I stood in the well in  the Deltics cab for 3 hours, all I saw of Lincoln was lights as we passed through, that shift wasn't a complete disaster though, the Driver let me have a drive from Peterborough, went through Connington at 105 MPH.

Weekday Crossing for me today.

manna

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, manna said:

I stood in the well in  the Deltics cab for 3 hours

I did the same for two hours on the last Deltic run from Edinburgh to Newcastle.

I'd gone to Waverley to watch the train leave, when one of my bosses spotted me.

"Are you busy this afternoon?"

"No, just came down to enjoy the fun".

"Well, you know the road to Newcastle don't you?"

"Yes, fairly well."

"Good. Peter Semmens is timing the train but won't know the landmarks in the dark. Get off at Newcastle and xxxxx xxxxxx will take over from there."

So off we went, only at 90mph because most of the 100mph stock was out of service with frozen toilets. Good fun all the same. When I got to Newcastle, I walked across and took a cab ride back in an HST.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

No plague of frogs on the menu yet though.

Not quite a plague, but we did wake up to a new ‘pet’ in our dining room on Thursday morning! He thought he was camouflaged against the floor so just stayed dead still while I photographed him4CB7A170-DF12-4675-8BB7-3033CFB42BF2.jpeg.bde62cd35e4782c817df96a3884da8d3.jpeg

• Like 11