Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I've been away for a few days and I don't know what the question was, but I'd like to vote for Hebden Bridge as well.  It's a nice station in a nice town with some nice walks and pubs for lunch afterwards.  When I was a Guard and worked on the Calder Valley line it was encouraging to be back there and well on the way back to Leeds ....

IMG_2569.jpg.3d418442f49e8ffce397a70111168a31.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Huddersfield for me. I ended up there after visiting the Standedge tunnels in 2008.

Andrew

I used to have to visit Marsden occasionally when I was based at Leeds. After inspecting the point heaters I would get some fish and chips (with scraps and two slices), drive up to the top of the moors and eat them while looking out over much of the West Riding. Happy days.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I used to have to visit Marsden occasionally when I was based at Leeds. After inspecting the point heaters I would get some fish and chips (with scraps and two slices), drive up to the top of the moors and eat them while looking out over much of the West Riding. Happy days.

At least you call them scraps not bits like most of that part of God's country :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, great northern said:

Back from a round of golf during which I three putted nine times, including missing one from little more than one foot. In the end I finished up laughing at it, there seemed nothing else to do, really,

On our walk this morning, we passed a golf course. One player, having retrieved his ball from the creek, then tried to chip it up the steep slope to the green. It was like one of those Crazy Golf holes where it keeps coming back down. I don't know how it ended - we moved on before I burst out laughing.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

On our walk this morning, we passed a golf course. One player, having retrieved his ball from the creek, then tried to chip it up the steep slope to the green. It was like one of those Crazy Golf holes where it keeps coming back down. I don't know how it ended - we moved on before I burst out laughing.

Reminds me of a Frenchman at St Andrews some time back, well in the lead of the Open, and making a complete hogs of the last hole. Even the placid Allis commentary became ragged and critical. So sad to watch. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Was part of my TOC 'patch' once, there and Slaithwaite (pronounced 'slowit' - as in 'ow! that hurt!'). Always used to enjoy my days out there. I seem to recall a local sandwich shop where the challenge was to demolish a 'sub' the length of a baguette...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That happens even to the professionals sometimes. It can be a very difficult thing to judge, even more so when one loses one temper and hits it jolly hard to make sure it gets over...... and finds it down another slope the other side of the green.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Reminds me of a Frenchman at St Andrews some time back, well in the lead of the Open, and making a complete hogs of the last hole. Even the placid Allis commentary became ragged and critical. So sad to watch. 

Jean Van de Velde. Just complete brain meltdown under enormous pressure, but really it was his caddie's fault, as it was his job to intervene and get his player to think straight. Unfortunately Jean had decided to use a complete amateur to carry his bag, so that didn't happen. At least it meant a Scotsman won in Scotland, but it wasn't at St Andrews actually. I haven't looked it up, but from memory it was Carnoustie, an absolute brute of a golf course, which would have caused meltdown in most humans long before they got to the 72nd hole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The poll was won by Hebden Bridge, 7 votes to Huddersfield's 3.

Today, we confine ourselves to stations on the Settle and Carlisle, between those two places only. Just the wayside stations please, we've already covered junctions. Everybody knows the Settle and Carlisle, surely?

• Like 1

Yes, I think it has to be Dent.

The highest mainline station in England 1150 ft a.s.l. and nearly 5 miles away from the place it purports to serve (and which is a very nice village actually if you take the time to go there).

Explored the central section of the line on my push bike many times in my formative years and have tackled the 1-in-6 road up to the station on me bike more than once - couldn't do it now! Another nice format for an energetic day out is to take the train to Dent, then walk up to the head of the dale and onwards across the top of Blea Moor tunnel, past the vent shafts, before walking past Blea Moor box, under the shadow of Ribblehead viaduct to enjoy a well-earned pint (or two) in the Station Inn before catching the train home from Ribblehead.

I'm almost tempted to change my vote to Ribblehead ... but I'll stick with Dent, a wonderful location for a station.

24 Dent walk 04.jpg

• Like 11