Peterborough North

great northern

Hi Gilbert,

I have found the source of microswitches. I found them in the Expo catalogue I picked up in the UK and a web supplier Futurelec.com.

keep up the good work.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert,

I have found the source of microswitches. I found them in the Expo catalogue I picked up in the UK and a web supplier Futurelec.com.

keep up the good work.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Glad you found them. Sorry for not replying earlier- long day away from home yesterday. I got mine through Maplin FWIW.

Gilbert

• RMweb Premium

Good day on Tuesday, as the signals arrived, and Tom got some more point motors done, though not as many as last time, as they were all very difficult locations so every one required the making of some form of linkage. I got some more Cobalts for this job, and again they proved to be invaluable, mainly because they are smaller than Tortoises, but also because they don't require soldering when it comes to wiring them up. Seriously good product, which I thoroughly recommend.

Right, some more photos showing Ken Gibbons' lovely signals.post-98-0-42255700-1307013717_thumb.jpg

This is another attempt at recreating the prototype photo I posted a while ago. Signals bring it to life, don't they? Just to clarify, the two closest signals will eventually be platform mounted. The underslung one on the left is for the down main, and was custom made so that drivers could see it when running towards it under the overall roof. The other one is for the Up main, which was the only road sigalled for bi directional running.post-98-0-13958100-1307014317_thumb.jpg

And another attempt at doing it in black and white like the original. I've actually found out how to crop these now, but unfortunately I can't take out all the bookshelves without beheading one of the signals.post-98-0-97230000-1307014468_thumb.jpg

Closer view, which shows the sigalling better. Sunlight is a mixed blessing when taking photos.

post-98-0-69182300-1307014595_thumb.jpg

Just put this one in as it could be cropped a bit more.

post-98-0-05837800-1307014690_thumb.jpg

And this turned out quite atmospheric.

post-98-0-35743500-1307014799_thumb.jpg

Focusing on an individual signal, here is the bracket which used to be at the North end of the Down slow. The distant was fixed, which will save me a bit of money. That arm was for the Down main, the other two governing access to New England yard, which started on the Up side immediately the other side of Spital Bridge.

post-98-0-50439800-1307015065_thumb.jpg

This one controls the exit from Platform 6 to the North. Around here things get a bit puzzling, and any information from signalling experts will be gratefully accepted. The home and distant logically covers access to the Down main, but the other two arms may be either starters for the down bays, which are the tracks to the right, or may again be to cover access to the yards. Partially hidden behind this signal is a single home, which is a real puzzle, as neither Ken nor myself can figure out what it did. It doesn't appear on signalling diagrams post war as far as we can see, but the photographic evidence is clear- it was there. It might govern departure from one of the bays, but if so, why only one of them?

post-98-0-12867500-1307015556_thumb.jpg

Now to the South end, where there was far less signalling. This one is a real oddity, with arms facing in both directions, seemingly stuck on as the fancy took whoever was responsible.The lower home is obviously the starter for southbound trains from platform 6, and the other home is for the Up slow, which ran parallel to it. One of the distants must also be for platform 6 I think, but the other one? Not as you might think for the adjacent line, as that was the Up slow only, so it can really only be for the Down slow ( I think) :unsure:

post-98-0-66313700-1307015998_thumb.jpg

Apart from the last signal, this shows the fullest possible extent of what existed at the south end. The home signal on the left, with route indicator is definitely correct, as is the colour light next to it. We are not so sure about the other colour light signal though. We don't have any official records for this time, and this signal can't be seen in any photo, but logically it should be there. The feather on the one on the left signals trains down onto the spur to Peterborough East station, and is for trains leaving from the Up main. I know that trains could also depart south both from the down main (platform 3), or from platform 6, and that those trains would almost certainly have been heading for East station, so surely there was something to deal with them? This signal would be the logical thing to do, so it will stay unless and until I find out it's wrong.

post-98-0-34036600-1307016523_thumb.jpg

For the sake of completeness here's the other side of the signal at the end of platform 6. I don't know how to get rid of the bookshelves on this one.

post-98-0-08119700-1307016696_thumb.jpg

Finally for now, what I know was definitely at the south end in the summer of 1958. The route indicator is to get from the Up bays to the South yard, which was just on the other side of Crescent Bridge. If anyone would like to know the purpose of any of the other signals, please ask, from which you will gather that I'm fairly confident that we have the answers. :lol:

• Like 4

Good day on Tuesday, as the signals arrived, and Tom got some more point motors done, though not as many as last time, as they were all very difficult locations so every one required the making of some form of linkage. I got some more Cobalts for this job, and again they proved to be invaluable, mainly because they are smaller than Tortoises, but also because they don't require soldering when it comes to wiring them up. Seriously good product, which I thoroughly recommend.

Right, some more photos showing Ken Gibbons' lovely signals.post-98-0-42255700-1307013717_thumb.jpg

This is another attempt at recreating the prototype photo I posted a while ago. Signals bring it to life, don't they? Just to clarify, the two closest signals will eventually be platform mounted. The underslung one on the left is for the down main, and was custom made so that drivers could see it when running towards it under the overall roof. The other one is for the Up main, which was the only road sigalled for bi directional running.post-98-0-13958100-1307014317_thumb.jpg

And another attempt at doing it in black and white like the original. I've actually found out how to crop these now, but unfortunately I can't take out all the bookshelves without beheading one of the signals.post-98-0-97230000-1307014468_thumb.jpg

Closer view, which shows the sigalling better. Sunlight is a mixed blessing when taking photos.

post-98-0-69182300-1307014595_thumb.jpg

Just put this one in as it could be cropped a bit more.

post-98-0-05837800-1307014690_thumb.jpg

And this turned out quite atmospheric.

post-98-0-35743500-1307014799_thumb.jpg

Focusing on an individual signal, here is the bracket which used to be at the North end of the Down slow. The distant was fixed, which will save me a bit of money. That arm was for the Down main, the other two governing access to New England yard, which started on the Up side immediately the other side of Spital Bridge.

post-98-0-50439800-1307015065_thumb.jpg

This one controls the exit from Platform 6 to the North. Around here things get a bit puzzling, and any information from signalling experts will be gratefully accepted. The home and distant logically covers access to the Down main, but the other two arms may be either starters for the down bays, which are the tracks to the right, or may again be to cover access to the yards. Partially hidden behind this signal is a single home, which is a real puzzle, as neither Ken nor myself can figure out what it did. It doesn't appear on signalling diagrams post war as far as we can see, but the photographic evidence is clear- it was there. It might govern departure from one of the bays, but if so, why only one of them?

post-98-0-12867500-1307015556_thumb.jpg

Now to the South end, where there was far less signalling. This one is a real oddity, with arms facing in both directions, seemingly stuck on as the fancy took whoever was responsible.The lower home is obviously the starter for southbound trains from platform 6, and the other home is for the Up slow, which ran parallel to it. One of the distants must also be for platform 6 I think, but the other one? Not as you might think for the adjacent line, as that was the Up slow only, so it can really only be for the Down slow ( I think) :unsure:

post-98-0-66313700-1307015998_thumb.jpg

Apart from the last signal, this shows the fullest possible extent of what existed at the south end. The home signal on the left, with route indicator is definitely correct, as is the colour light next to it. We are not so sure about the other colour light signal though. We don't have any official records for this time, and this signal can't be seen in any photo, but logically it should be there. The feather on the one on the left signals trains down onto the spur to Peterborough East station, and is for trains leaving from the Up main. I know that trains could also depart south both from the down main (platform 3), or from platform 6, and that those trains would almost certainly have been heading for East station, so surely there was something to deal with them? This signal would be the logical thing to do, so it will stay unless and until I find out it's wrong.

post-98-0-34036600-1307016523_thumb.jpg

For the sake of completeness here's the other side of the signal at the end of platform 6. I don't know how to get rid of the bookshelves on this one.

post-98-0-08119700-1307016696_thumb.jpg

Finally for now, what I know was definitely at the south end in the summer of 1958. The route indicator is to get from the Up bays to the South yard, which was just on the other side of Crescent Bridge. If anyone would like to know the purpose of any of the other signals, please ask, from which you will gather that I'm fairly confident that we have the answers. :lol:

Suddenly looking very atmospheric. Would love to see more photos' of the lizzie rake!

• Like 1

Hi Great Northern,

Sorry if I have missed and it has already been mentioned, but what components have you used for your signals? Are they MSE? They look superb - I really like the two colour lights at the south end of the station as well. it must be great modelling a real location, knowing that you can make an exact replica of each signal etc. I really want to model a real location in the future.

Enjoying the thread so please keep posting!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Great Northern,

Sorry if I have missed and it has already been mentioned, but what components have you used for your signals? Are they MSE? They look superb - I really like the two colour lights at the south end of the station as well. it must be great modelling a real location, knowing that you can make an exact replica of each signal etc. I really want to model a real location in the future.

Enjoying the thread so please keep posting!

Hi,

Yes, they are MSE components, and the colour lights are Eckon kits. I agree that in a lot of ways modelling a real location makes things simpler - that's what was there, so that's what goes in that position. It gets a bit more difficult though when there are bits which you don't know about, and can't find any photos to help. It's the first time I've tried to model a prototype, and I really am enjoying it. Soon I can start putting in all the little bits of detail, which is the bit I like most.

• RMweb Gold

Seek and ye shall find (well something which ought to helpwink.gif). I've just found this on the LNER Encyclopaedia group's site which should answer a lot of your questions I think - might be worth your while heading there and seeing what else they can dig up?

http://www.lner.info...=6793&mode=view

And you no doubt know of this page which if nothing else at least steers you towards the 'box names etc

http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/GN01.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another good day yesterday, at the end of which for the first time a locomotive ran the whole way round the layout. :D :D :D Tom and I agree that provided there are no unexpected glitches next weekend we should complete all of the wiring on the main line and fiddle yard, get the rest of the accessory decoders done, and start running trains properly. That just leaves some loco spurs and kick back sidings to finish off and wire up, after which all track work will be done. It's taken a long time, but it's also been well worth waiting for. That will leave a bit of woodwork to do, fascias and shelving etc, and a decision to be made as to how to operate the signals. Servos are the preferred option at the moment, but a well known and recently retired modeller and electricity whizz kid may be co-opted, though he doesn't know yet. ;) I can also start adding the detail soon, which is the bit I really enjoy. Good, isn't it?

• RMweb Premium

Super layout - couldn't be anywhere else but Peterborough. Excellent stuff.

Hope the "Deltic" in the photos didn't derail, as the trailing three-way point in the up main is not quite set correctly..... :unsure:

Regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter, much appreciated. I confess that as I was just posing the Deltic for the photo I neglected to check that the road was correctly set. All is not lost though fortunately as the signals are at danger , so the loco is obviously stationary and awaiting the road. ;)

Of absolutely no use to you but showing a bit of stagework for the rebuilding..

post-4034-0-82871500-1307535836_thumb.jpg

I'll look through the locking details i have for Cresent/Spital/North and see if there is anything about the colourlights..

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What make is the water crane? I know Mike's Models used to make something similar, but not at the moment it seems.

It's still the Mike's Models kit, now available again through Holt Model Railways. I acquired some more recently from them. Very good and prompt service.

...Good, isn't it?

I ration out my visits to this thread to avoid too many occurences of the puddle of drool on the computer keyboard, as my wife (who is otherwise a tolerant and uncomplaining angel ) rather objects to this manifestation of my railway mania.

... the Artic twin set in its new storage siding. These are Gresley steel stock, and were used well into the '50's on Peterborough- Kings Cross locals, as well as the East Lincs line. Originally they had a custom built short composite in the middle, but post war many of the sets had a Mk1 composite substituted. Doesn't look quite right, does it?

Finally for now, a close up of part of this rake. Really handsome coaches IMO.

Nobody else appears to have picked this up: permit me to propose that a major contribution to the Artic twins 'not looking quite right' is that they are riding too high above the bogies, resulting in a much higher roof line than that of the mk1. As for handsome, these and the twin first Coronation vehicles were without peer in their time: I was a little mollified when relatively soon after their withdrawal BR's mk2s with some suitable Gresley inspired exterior styling appeared. Although not perfect, no articulation to give the distinctive variations in beats over joints that were so much part of the East Coast steam scene - sigh...

I've just been through my pile of signal sighting forms. I have one for CJ49 showing the original signal arm was 10'7'' from rail height and 6'1'' from rail edge and was replaced around 11th Feb 1969 by a signal, made from serviceable secondhand parts, with the arm 12'6'' and stencil 10'0'' from rail height 8'9'' from up goods departure and 15'10'' from up goods connection from up main.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
:blush: Oh Dear! I didn't express myself very well. When I posted "good isn't it" I was referring to the fact that the layout is almost up and running, not inviting favourable comment about the thing as a whole. Thanks very much to those who have commented favourably, but I just want to make it clear that it's up to you guys, not me, to decide whther it's any good or not. :sorry_mini:

Excellent to see this making progress.

Just got back from a night in the Great Northern Hotel in Peterborough (work related), looking forward to see it appear on the layout :)

• RMweb Premium

Excellent to see this making progress.

Just got back from a night in the Great Northern Hotel in Peterborough (work related), looking forward to see it appear on the layout :)

It's already here Jules - just waiting to be put in it's rightful place, which should be soon.

post-98-0-73161400-1307551308_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Partially hidden behind this signal is a single home, which is a real puzzle, as neither Ken nor myself can figure out what it did. It doesn't appear on signalling diagrams post war as far as we can see, but the photographic evidence is clear- it was there. It might govern departure from one of the bays, but if so, why only one of them?

I can't find this signal on anything i have. I've looked through photo's too and can't find it. Can you direct me to a photo that includes it?

It's already here Jules - just waiting to be put in it's rightful place, which should be soon

Whoa - flashback to 8:25 this morning when I walked out of that front door!! Fantastic model of the real thing.

Shame the current station building is some horrible modern (ish) junk that in no way complements the hotel opposite.

• RMweb Premium

I can't find this signal on anything i have. I've looked through photo's too and can't find it. Can you direct me to a photo that includes it?

Best I can find at the moment is in British Railways Steaming through Peterborough. There is a photo ( numbered 18) on page 15, which clearly shows the signal, and the caption says it is 1958, with which for once I entirely agree. This photo was not taken as most were from the end of platform 3. In any photo taken from that angle this signal is almost entirely hidden behind the three arm bracket which is shown on the plans. Can't post the photo because of copyright issues.