Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I've not visited the Lincolnshire station much, so it is hard to make a choice.

But I will go for Finningley, which was paternal Grandfather's first Signal Box posting following his initial training by the GNR.

If Finningley is dis-allowed, it will have to be Sleaford.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

French Drove and Gedney Hill. 9 miles from March. Apart from a delicious sounding name, it is (was until closure ) a complete anachronism with a large station house and buildings totally disproportionate to the small amount  traffic that could reasonably be expected even when built.

There is a photo on the internet of a V2 with a two coach stopper at the station, which surprised me as I never realised V2’s went into Lincolnshire. That must have been an all stations March to Lincoln or possibly Doncaster, Eastern Region time table 44. How do I know that ? Well in my schooldays I had a roundy roundy that I worked out at 5 laps to a mile so I used to run trains according to real timetables and speeds, usually Fenchurch St - Southend , Norwich - Yarmouth,  or Table 44 March to Lincoln and Doncaster.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, jazzer said:

French Drove and Gedney Hill. 9 miles from March. Apart from a delicious sounding name, it is (was until closure ) a complete anachronism with a large station house and buildings totally disproportionate to the small amount  traffic that could reasonably be expected even when built.

There is a photo on the internet of a V2 with a two coach stopper at the station, which surprised me as I never realised V2’s went into Lincolnshire. That must have been an all stations March to Lincoln or possibly Doncaster, Eastern Region time table 44. How do I know that ? Well in my schooldays I had a roundy roundy that I worked out at 5 laps to a mile so I used to run trains according to real timetables and speeds, usually Fenchurch St - Southend , Norwich - Yarmouth,  or Table 44 March to Lincoln and Doncaster.

The GN/GE was a frequently used main line diversion route, RA9, so we saw everything on there now and again. Apart from that though V2s were quite common on goods working to and from Whitemoor and the NE region, and occasionally the March-Doncaster all stations stoppers. And at Lincoln we got a March V2 every weekday on the Newcastle- Colchester. Usually the same one though, 60803.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

RTH written by Barry Took and Marty Feldman of course. Apparently, BT reckoned that the stuffy BBC didn't get half the double entendres and innuendos and a lot of stuff got through that shouldn't have. And all the better for it.

I once heard Humphrey Littleton talking about complaints from listeners about the double entendres regarding the fictional researcher for the programme “Samantha”, such as :-

“Samantha tells me she is off with a team of paramedics tonight. They are so excited , they just can’t wait for her to arrive so they can get their ambulance and stretcher out for the night “.

If people complained they would just send a copy of the script and tell them it was just their dirty mind .

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, great northern said:

Today we travel from Doncaster to March via the GN &GE joint line. Lincoln Central is excluded though. You can also go to Clive country, Peterborough to Cleethorpes via the E.Lincs, including the Mablethorpe loop, which will allow one very important station.  All the market towns are OK, whether junctions or not. But don't all just vote for Quadring. What do you mean, you've never heard of it?

Tumby Woodside ?

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Better change my vote, Mabelthorpe. ( where the crabs walk sideways after a night at the pub)

manna

If you go into Mablethorpe these days there are so many people riding those electric sit on scooters, it is like the dodgems have escaped the fun fare.

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Gratified, I am. Very gratified that so many of you voted about stations in sleepy old Lincolnshire. We had another tie, Louth and Sleaford with 4 votes each.

Today we'll go along the original MS&L main line, all the way from Manchester to Cleethorpes. Any station you like, as I'm in a good mood.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

If you go into Mablethorpe these days there are so many people riding those electric sit on scooters, it is like the dodgems have escaped the fun fare.

My brother suggested that it was the sort of place that a walking stick shop would have done a roaring trade. 

He also told me to avoid the sea view car park after dark due to dog walkers or something along those lines ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 3