Peterborough North

great northern

2 hours ago, jollysmart said:

Pitlochry this time, I remember being there in the early 70's when everything was blue.

Yes. It can get quite cold in the Highlands, even the Perthshire Highlands!

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Newtonmoor, I was going to build a model of it.

Simple enough now - One line, one platform, and a timber yard.

Lloyd

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I am uneasy about voting in these polls when I really don't know the line at all well. I have been all the way to Thurso by train, but 53 years ago. But as recently as early 1998 I did travel to Aviemore, descending from the sleeper for a weekend walking with others, during which I believe I "bagged" 5 Munros to add to the one - Ben Nevis - I had strolled up the previous year. So Aviemore, please Sir. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another close vote, decided by the last one, which came in just four minutes before I started the count. Inverness 5 Pitlochry 4.  I shall not be difficult, as it is a lovely sunny day, but is Inverness a wayside station?  I've never been there, as blue doen't suit me.

Alright, carry on from Inverness, up to where you fall off if you like, but also across to Kyle, which doesn't count, being a terminus which has already won. Then hop down to Fort William, and look at wayside stations from there to Glasgow.

• RMweb Premium

Strome Ferry. Brighton MRC built a 00 model years ago, which I wired up. All was well until it went to its first exhibition, when there was a dead short. Only after hours of investigation did someone discover that a three-rail wagon had been placed in one of the sidings.

• Funny 5

So many to choose from again in today's poll, but I think that I will go for Georgemas Junction, where the Wick (pronounced 'Wuck') and Thurso portions split. Certainly wayside as there is no community there. Also it has just had a new lease of life, as timber is now loaded there for a thrice weekly train to Inverness, possibly to be extended to Dalcross, to supply the OSB (Oriented Strand Board) plant nearby. I used to visit it when staying in Halkirk some nearly 40 years ago.

Lloyd

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, great northern said:

I shall not be difficult, as it is a lovely sunny day, but is Inverness a wayside station?  I've never been there, as blue doen't suit me.

Oops sorry I must have overlooked the "wayside station" part of the question - no it certainly isn't!

For the next poll, avoiding termini I'll go for Helmsdale; still quite an intact station and a passing place but in its heyday had a small depot.  Also the place where on my first visit to the far North mail bags were being off loaded from the northbound train by the doors on the non-platform side of the BG and thrown across to where the postmen were waiting on the Up platform!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 31A said:

For the next poll, avoiding termini I'll go for Helmsdale; still quite an intact station and a passing place but in its heyday had a small depot.  Also the place where on my first visit to the far North mail bags were being off loaded from the northbound train by the doors on the non-platform side of the BG and thrown across to where the postmen were waiting on the Up platform!

Helmsdale also has the distinction of having had an employee whose son was to become Lord Chancellor (Lord MacKay). That is why he was affectionately known there as 'The shunter's loon'.

Lloyd

• Like 1

I will go with Achnasheen on the Kyle line. Attached are pictures of it last Sunday. Achnasheen is described as a junction, not of the railway but of the roads giving access north and west. As such it was an important place for the distribution of goods and mail. Also most Kyle line trains crossed there. There used to be a hotel on the platform next to the station building sadly lost to fire in the 1980's. Now there just a square of lawn where the hotel used to be.

20200906_115654.jpg

20200906_115701.jpg

• Like 12

The Mound was a lovely station and not 5 miles from where i am sitting now. You are right about the dining car,which for a while was an ex pullman car and also at one time an exLNWR coach. Also where else could you see ex South Wales pannier tanks and ex Highland  stock and infrastucture in the same place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Inverness is a terminus as well, and with 7 platforms, a loco shed and Lochgorm works, hardly a wayside station. I want a recount!

Lloyd

The problem is though Lloyd that I didn't actually specify wayside station, assuming everyone would remember that was the current category. So the fault is mine for being idle, and not wanting to type a couple of extra words. Hoist by my own whatsit, I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

I was tempted to go for this:

1589B5DE-CB09-4C82-828B-826CD9080308.jpeg.53928153b27e1fd961156e7e0f936807.jpeg

but will choose Corrour on the West Highland line. A. Wainwright wrote, “Rannoch Moor is a desolation fashioned by Nature and right well has she succeeded.” Not many trains pass by but that matters not at all; the wild beauty of the place is unlike anywhere else. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 3