Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Another close poll. 2 votes for Upminster and Leigh on Sea, and 2 for Southend. One of those, however, did not specify which station, and I know there were more than one, so its a tie between Upminster and Leigh.

Today, wayside stations between Shenfield and Ipswich, then the E.Suffolk to Yarmouth and Lowestoft, including the branches to the east of the line, so Clacton, Walton, Felixstowe, Harwich, Aldeburgh. Some really nice and quirky places included in this, so think hard. In fact, we'll have interesting and unusual rather than favourite, so its not so much personal memories today. You can even look at a map, if you wish.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Woodbridge. A skoolfriend lived there 40 years ago, walking distance for the charmingly-set station, and I could catch a train from London Friday evening and spend a weekend there. On one such occasion Deb came up by car, but it burnt a valve on the way so Michael and I spent the weekend rebuilding the head!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I was too young for beer :(

I was forced to partake by my Elders who claimed they were my Better's.  :D

The next morning my 19 years of age stood me in good stead against them at Breakfast. Never got hangovers then,but after 40 goodness me did I pay for it   :crazy:

Edited by CUTLER2579
Typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Between Shenfield and Ipswich - soooo many to choose from, but I'll choose Witham.  I used to visit it for work sometimes in the 1990s and it struck me as a well preserved country junction with most of its facilities still functioning, although by then only one of the two branches was open.

11 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

I was forced to partake by my Elders who claimed they were my Better's.  :D

The next morning my 19 years of age stood me in good stead against them at Breakfast. Never got hangovers then,but after 40 goodness me did I pay for it   :crazy:

That sounds like a long time to get a hangover!

Lloyd

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

This is a hard one to decide.

Witham, Colchester, Chelmsford, and Ipswich were all places I lived and worked, in fact I lived in Derby Road, just down from the station.

Then there is Manningtree, change here for the continent and Friton for a more sedate and old fashioned way of life. 

Then there are locations which in the past were quite busy railway wise despite no one living nearby. Marks Tey and Thorpe-le- Soken come to mind.

Today's choice for me takes us on a little trip. Ernie the lamp boy under the supervision of the signalman clears the line and our rail bus trundles off picking up speed as it goes under Catholic Bridge. The driver whistles to alert the wood worm to link arms as we cross the trestle bridge over the River Blackwater at the same time slowing down for today's station Wickham Bishops.

Here is a delightful model of Wickham Bishops by Len Wilkinson.

I worked with Ernie when we both worked at Marconi's and he was a lamp boy at Witham junction signal box when he left school and told me a few stories.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

I’m with St. Enodoc, Halesworth for me.  Strangest Level Crossing gates in existence, plus those 3’ gauge curiosities to the sea.

Paul

Hi Paul

But isn't Halesworth on the East Suffolk line which is/was a mainline north of Ipswich?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

But isn't Halesworth on the East Suffolk line which is/was a mainline north of Ipswich?

It is Clive, and I did specifically include the East Suffolk,  because of places like Halesworth...... and Beccles...... and Saxmundham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

For those interested in Hunt couplings I've fitted a few more of different types today. To save repeating the information, if you are interested in them have a look here on my Burngullow Lane thread.

Once again thanks to Gilbert for spreading the word. They really do make a difference.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, great northern said:

Just a couple more high level views this lovely morning.

1643976231_20highacross.JPG.209312d53c5038c04a5bd511740bcd4c.JPG

This picture. So evocative of a photo that any schoolboy spotter could have taken on his Mum's Box Brownie back in the day. Brilliant!

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I doubt anyone else will choose this but I am going for Mistley, on the Harwich branch.

I often visited the village and tok a number of photos of trains there.

There was alo the remains of the very steep line down to the quay on the River Stour.

Dabid

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It seems not many of you ventured to the lovely far east of England, as there were only 8 votes registered. Half of those were for Halesworth, so it was the winner.

Today though we stay in the same area. looking at cross country lines beween the Ipswich and Cambridge main lines, and with a northern boundary of the Ipswich to Ely route. The Colne Valley and Stour Valley lines alone should provide plenty of choices.

• RMweb Premium

Thass'l be in Suffuk, thass'l be on the dark Side, I I'nt a play till yew get's hare.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Friendly/supportive 1