Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I will go for Dereham. I don't know the area but I had a skilled and helpful workmate who came from there and who worked for Crane's Trailers. He pronounced Dereham as "Dare'um" and hole as "hul" but when he got exited nobody understood a word!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, I’m going with Berney Arms too for this poll. I seem to recall an article in one of the magazines from the early 1980’s showing how the postman used the train to deliver mail. I know the train was a class 105 Cravens unit.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Seven Sisters. My Mum's aunt and cousin lived just round the corner and her cousin's house in Westerfield Road backed on to the line. I remember watching EMUs in the early 60s - no doubt Clive will tell us what sort they were. Interesting junction too.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Seven Sisters. My Mum's aunt and cousin lived just round the corner and her cousin's house in Westerfield Road backed on to the line. I remember watching EMUs in the early 60s - no doubt Clive will tell us what sort they were. Interesting junction too.

Hi Sainty

AM2s, AM5s and AM8s, the AM5s were the most common.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone else get slightly annoyed when TV programmes refer to locomotives as trains, rails as tracks, and train stations instead of railway stations?

Well Radio Times nearly did much better today, referring to Union of South Africa as a steam locomotive. However the preceding words spoiled it a bit, as it reads "and 200 passengers travel on the steam locomotive Union of South Africa". Very crowded surely, how would the fireman manage to do any firing with so many in the cab?  I'd have thought they would have been better off in the train.:jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Gilbert,

A similar scene is portrayed in the cab of a J94 in the St. Trinians Great Train Robbery of course. One lump of coal each please, with Frankie Howard, Reg Varney plus main other well known characters.  
Social distancing, what social distancing.

Paul

• Like 2

Ponders End, there was a fascinating article about it in a Great Eastern Journal that has really stuck in my mind.

However, my vote goes to Hitchin, I still remember changing trains there, got out of a 310 electric ( sorry Clive if my memory has failed me!). Waited for a while then got in a refurbished 101 in white with a blue stripe. Front seat all the way up to St Neots. It has an effect on a 13 year old boy allowed to do the journey from Brentwood through London on my own. How many children would have been allowed to do that now, probably got the train back too.

Martyn 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, mullie said:

Ponders End, there was a fascinating article about it in a Great Eastern Journal that has really stuck in my mind.

However, my vote goes to Hitchin, I still remember changing trains there, got out of a 310 electric ( sorry Clive if my memory has failed me!). Waited for a while then got in a refurbished 101 in white with a blue stripe. Front seat all the way up to St Neots. It has an effect on a 13 year old boy allowed to do the journey from Brentwood through London on my own. How many children would have been allowed to do that now, probably got the train back too.

Martyn 

Sorry Martyn, my fault when I go back to what I wrote!  What I meant to specify was the GE main line from the London suburbs. I'm saving the GN till last.

6 hours ago, great northern said:

Does anyone else get slightly annoyed when TV programmes refer to locomotives as trains, rails as tracks, and train stations instead of railway stations?

Well Radio Times nearly did much better today, referring to Union of South Africa as a steam locomotive. However the preceding words spoiled it a bit, as it reads "and 200 passengers travel on the steam locomotive Union of South Africa". Very crowded surely, how would the fireman manage to do any firing with so many in the cab?  I'd have thought they would have been better off in the train.:jester:

I don’t get slightly annoyed when people talk about “train stations “ instead of railway stations I get almost moved to violence! 

Audley End railway station for me as well, partly for the same reason I gave for Saffron Walden in the earlier competition, and partly because there is a great restaurant in Belleair Bluffs near Clearwater , Florida , called Cody’s Roadhouse that is decorated with all kinds of American memorabilia, and hanging up among all these number plates, and old petrol pumps and things is an old station sign in Eastern Region dark blue directing people to the trains . I am quite probably the only person that’s ever been in there that recognises it as coming from Audley End. I pointed it out the the Mrs but for some reason she was singularly unimpressed ;)

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, mullie said:

Martyn 

I have happy memories of Ponders End. Not the railway station, but the LT Bus Depot. Spent a very entertaining day sign writing all the lettering on a friends freshly restored RT double decker prior to attending the Barking rally in the 1990’s.

If you are wondering what this has to do with Peterborough North, I was involved with the NVR and sign writing was one of my self taught activities.  92 Squadron, 34081 was my biggest job in 1998.

Paul

• Like 6

8 hours ago, great northern said:

Yes to the first and last of those but the one that really irritates me is when ‘the’ is put in front of the locomotive’s name. The most common one is ‘the Flying Scotsman’ when referring to 4472. I think the trend of using ‘the’ for locomotives probably originates from confusion between Flying Scotsman and The Flying Scotsman.

• Like 1