Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Not sure which route you have in mind Gilbert, so I'll offer two choices depending on which is correct:

- if you mean the Southern route, then Bere Alston - junction for the PD&SWJ branch to Callington.

- if you mean the line from Exeter to Newton Abbot via Heathfield and then onwards to Plymouth, then Brent - inspiration for many a layout on RMweb and also modelled by Leeds MRS in 0 gauge over 40 years ago.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Not sure which route you have in mind Gilbert, so I'll offer two choices depending on which is correct:

- if you mean the Southern route, then Bere Alston - junction for the PD&SWJ branch to Callington.

- if you mean the line from Exeter to Newton Abbot via Heathfield and then onwards to Plymouth, then Brent - inspiration for many a layout on RMweb and also modelled by Leeds MRS in 0 gauge over 40 years ago.

This is what happens when I stray into foreign parts. We've been along the GW main line, haven't we? I think we have, anyway, so that's why I looked at a BR map and went for the one that seems to go a remarkably long way round. That is/was the Southern route, I think? I'm much better at Lincolnshire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, great northern said:

This is what happens when I stray into foreign parts. We've been along the GW main line, haven't we? I think we have, anyway, so that's why I looked at a BR map and went for the one that seems to go a remarkably long way round. That is/was the Southern route, I think? I'm much better at Lincolnshire.

As I voted for Okehampton in a previous poll I will go, along with St Enodoc, for Bere Alston. Junction for Callington - once part of the Colonel Stephens empire I believe - and also near Gunnislake where a good friend was brought up in sight of the railway station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I will nominate Yeoford. In 1965, the last time I travelled the route from Exeter to Padstow, I changed at Yeoford in the early evening, alighting from a Barnstaple line train to catch an Okehampton one. As I awaited my connecting train, I recall a BR Standard 4 tank coming off the Barnstaple route and heading light engine for Exeter. One sensed the crew were finishing for the day, to judge by the speed.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Now I am confused, we have swapped from the G*R to the LSWR, am I correct? Now which Plymouth station are we arriving at, North or Fairy, because it is Fairy then this poor young lady has been going the opposite direction twice. 

As for a station I will nominate Camel's Head Halt, only for its lovely name.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Just as well they didn't name it after the other end of the camel ...

Tavistock! Been trying to think of its name most of the morning. Not my part of the world but it was featured on one of Rob Bell's lost railway walks and looked quite nice so let's run with that.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Now I am confused, we have swapped from the G*R to the LSWR, am I correct? Now which Plymouth station are we arriving at, North or Fairy, because it is Fairy then this poor young lady has been going the opposite direction twice. 

Definitely LSWR, I think.:scratch_one-s_head_mini: Don't ask me difficult questions about Plymouth though, Phil's your man for that.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

It is my belief that LSWR trains heading for Friary would pass through, and hence stop at, what was then called Plymouth North Road, the GWR station. 

Before they got to North Road, they would have stopped at Devonport, in many ways more important for LSWR than either of the Plymouth stations.

I don't think that there is a better station to model for the classic "roundy-roundy" layout - curves each end disappearing under road bridges on the same road.

But my favourite would be Tavistock North for its location.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Just as well they didn't name it after the other end of the camel ...

As there was a station called Ashover Butts in Derbyshire, why not Camel Butts Halt in Cornwall?  After all there are several examples on RMW that are more dubious!  Thinking about it, Gresley Beat has some interesting name boards on its signalboxes!!!!!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Right, the poll. 4 votes for Tavistock to 2 for Bere Alston, but weren't there two stations at Tavistock? Only one reply specifies which one, so I'm not sure where that leaves us.

The Didcot Newbury and Southampton today, another area about which I know nothing much, but it must have had some nice wayside stations.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Right, the poll. 4 votes for Tavistock to 2 for Bere Alston, but weren't there two stations at Tavistock? Only one reply specifies which one, so I'm not sure where that leaves us.

The Didcot Newbury and Southampton today, another area about which I know nothing much, but it must have had some nice wayside stations.

I think you're in the clear, Gilbert, having confirmed that we're looking at the Southern route. It must be Tavistock North.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Winchester 'Chesil'.

manna

Yes, Winchester Chesil/Cheesehill for me too. An interesting station anyway but its pioneer automatic route-setting signalling installation does it for me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The DN&S. At it's the nearest GW station to my old home I must vote for Winchester Chesil/Cheesehill as well.

Having said that, can stations in the middle of a city be classified as wayside?

• Like 1